The Cricket Thread

bewlay

An absolutely ludicrous decision to bat on that wicket after winning the toss. The pitch was green and favoured the quickies - no surprise that Rory Burns went first ball and England skittled out for 147. Fine to bat if the game was going to last 4 or 5 days- but this game is going to be over in 3-4 days you would think.

And starting Leach ahead of Broad was just as crazy.

You could have stopped after "and starting Leach" tbh. Don't rate him at this level at all.

I understand Anderson can't play all 5 Tests, but imo you have to play your best bowling line up in the first test to try and get off to a positive start.. Even more so when it was obvious the other day it was going to be a greenish pitch and there was lots of cloud in the weather forecast. I just can't fathom why you leave out 1100+ test wickets and go with that attack.

I might have to eat my words once they get going later, but not confident England's bowlers can replicate what the Aussies did, even with the home batting line up not being in great nick either.

25 overs in, England look devoid of ideas already. The Stokes ‘no ball’ to remove Warner was a huge blow. These two will nudge along beyond lunch and to 150 no problem, with Smith to come. England tiring and frustrated in the heat, the odd glimmer of hope beating the edge, otherwise it’s difficult to see where a breakthrough might come from.

Aussies 196 ahead with 7 wickets down. England absolutely risible in the field today with numerous drops and of course that massive Stokes NB on Warner, so it's back to the default position of hoping for shite weather to avoid a probably massive innings defeat. Leach being caned is great viewing. For reasons unknown he irritates the f**k out of me. Long may it continue. 

23 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aussies 196 ahead with 7 wickets down. England absolutely risible in the field today with numerous drops and of course that massive Stokes NB on Warner, so it's back to the default position of hoping for shite weather to avoid a probably massive innings defeat. Leach being caned is great viewing. For reasons unknown he irritates the f**k out of me. Long may it continue. 

England didn't bowl too badly for the most part, a few edges went flying into gaps and to safety. There were also a couple of run out chances that went begging, Hameed has to hit the stumps from no more than 10 feet away when Warner was crawling about the deck. Last session was a free for all for Head as the bowlers tired. That was the third fastest hundred in Ashes history.

I posted further up that I didn't rate Leach, every Aussie batsman treated him with utter disdain. 1 wicket from 95 runs from 11 overs. The Aussie commentators were making the point that it looks like the Australian tactic is to inflcit so much damage on Leach that it could end his series.

There's a credible case that Root is England's best spinner, or at least the best one in the touring party. 

Find it hard to disagree. Leach is woeful, actually felt a bit sorry for him the way the Aussies were batting against him. Just a little bit though

Find it hard to disagree. Leach is woeful, actually felt a bit sorry for him the way the Aussies were batting against him. Just a little bit though
Imo Leach is still living off his partnership with Stokes, he doesn't offer a real wicket taking threat or control the run rate.

England's obsession with left-arm spinners is bizarre. Fine, you want a guy who moves the ball away from right-handers and you don't have a leggy of any real quality, but ffs. You'd think after years of watching Monty Panesar plonk every single 56.7mph delivery on exactly the same spot, Leach getting tonked all over the place, and the fact that there are lefties everywhere in modern batting lineups, that they'd just bite the bullet and realise that a good orthodox offy bowling an aggressive line is a far better option than trying to shoehorn a mediocre left-armer into a Test team.

No doubt "something something something footmarks", which is fucking bonkers if that's what you're deciding the composition of your bowling attack on.

Edited by Boo Khaki