The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It's either going to be Woakes or Curran that will be asked to fit that role imo if Stokes is still unavailable by then.
I wouldn't take Curran. I think he offers something different but at the pace he bowls he's no threat in Australia and he's only averaging 14.5 with the bat in tests this year, not enough for him to make the plane. Woakes and possibly Overton offer better options. The 4 strike bowlers if they're fit are very obviously Robinson, Wood, Broad and Anderson, with Anderson and Wood both unlikely to play every test. The big question is who/how many spinners do they take? Do they go left field and suddenly bring Rashid back in? Neither Bess nor Leach look particularly favoured.

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
13 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
It's either going to be Woakes or Curran that will be asked to fit that role imo if Stokes is still unavailable by then.

I wouldn't take Curran. I think he offers something different but at the pace he bowls he's no threat in Australia and he's only averaging 14.5 with the bat in tests this year, not enough for him to make the plane. Woakes and possibly Overton offer better options. The 4 strike bowlers if they're fit are very obviously Robinson, Wood, Broad and Anderson, with Anderson and Wood both unlikely to play every test. The big question is who/how many spinners do they take? Do they go left field and suddenly bring Rashid back in? Neither Bess nor Leach look particularly favoured.

I think Matt Parkinson is more likely than Rashid. Although, even as a Lancs fan, I'd probably bring Rashid back ahead of him. Neither Leach or Bess are good enough, I think a wrist spinner is needed. If you decide at some point that 2 spinners should be bowling, Joe Root is more than capable in the supporting role.

I don't rate Curran either tbf, not a bad return in home conditions but wouldn't fancy him in Australia.

They need to find a spinner from somewhere, Root is just as dangerous as Bess or Leach imo. Would be surprised if Rashid gets a call but he can't be any worse than those 2 imo.

Scotland currently playing their second game in the CWCL2 tri-series with Oman and Papa New Guinea in Oman. The first game was against PNG on Saturday, with Scotland winning by 6 wickets, chasing down the required 198 with 7 overs to spare. Won the toss and batted first against Oman this morning, and finished up on 273/6 with Richie Berrington scoring a superb 97. You can watch the game live on icc.tv

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Lancashire having an absolute disaster I'm the first innings of the Bob Willis trophy final. Warwickshire had them at 12-6 in the 9th over, Lancs rallied a bit but have just lost another wicket to be 47-7 and it's not even 12 noon yet.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Sole has had a torrid time. Everyone seems to be battering him about the ground.

Could be tough for Scotland as they play again tomorrow, against PNG.

He did pick up the key wicket earlier, but yes, he isn't brilliant.

The stream on the ICC website is awful. Struggles to go more than a minute at any point without cutting out.

23 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He did pick up the key wicket earlier, but yes, he isn't brilliant.

The stream on the ICC website is awful. Struggles to go more than a minute at any point without cutting out.

Aye, he has got crucial wickets but the amount of runs he has given away is silly.

Ive just been logged out of the site and can’t get the stream working again to catch the end. I’ve been getting a black screen every few minutes when it has been working.

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Decision time looming for the England players over whether to go to Australia or not. I can see several mainstays not going tbh.

Ashes: Covid, quarantine and Joe Root - answering the key questions - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58707159

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I absolutely get if anybody doesn’t want to go, given the circumstances.  It’ll be a split squad, I would imagine, if that is possible.  If not, then I’m quite surprised the tour is going ahead.