The Cricket Thread

bewlay

14 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

What a huge fucking disappointment. Oh well, at least the next installment of India v Joe Root is only 4 days away.

Wonder if Hameed will come in to open, or bat at three perhaps?

I can see Broad dropping out for a spinner as well.  

30 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Wonder if Hameed will come in to open, or bat at three perhaps?

I can see Broad dropping out for a spinner as well.  

I remember watching Hameed in India and thinking he'd be an England opener for years to come. He should definitely get recalled. The only question is, is it for donkey 1, 2 or 3? There's an argument for dumping all of them. Broad out for Rashid? 

36 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I remember watching Hameed in India and thinking he'd be an England opener for years to come. He should definitely get recalled. The only question is, is it for donkey 1, 2 or 3? There's an argument for dumping all of them. Broad out for Rashid? 

Burns will do for me.  He’s solid.  It’s whether it’s two or three.  I really don’t much care, but Sibley seems to be more in keeping with the slow-and-steady, 2.5 runs per over, approach to batting that Silverwood seemingly wants.  

Not sure if Rashid is playing red ball cricket.  I realise that didn’t stop Buttler from getting a recall, but I would have thought Leach and Bess are both in front of him.  Wrongly so, but I get that impression.

Edited by Savage Henry

I'd rather Burns gets binned, I get motion sick watching him, his pre-shot routine reminds me of these.

Guardian report though suggests Hameed for Crawley, not sure which of the 3 openers goes at 3 in that case, and Moeen coming back in at the expense of Lawrence.

Inflatable-Tube-Man-Gif.gif

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I'd rather Burns gets binned, I get motion sick watching him, his pre-shot routine reminds me of these.

Guardian report though suggests Hameed for Crawley, not sure which of the 3 openers goes at 3 in that case, and Moeen coming back in at the expense of Lawrence.

Inflatable-Tube-Man-Gif.gif

Which would bugger up the balance of the team again, with everyone from 5 down batting one too high. 

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Which would bugger up the balance of the team again, with everyone from 5 down batting one too high. 

Bairstow would stay at 5, which, if he's playing, has to be his position. It would then push Buttler back up to 6, which imo is where he looks most comfortable in test match cricket. Moeen at 7 could be argued as one too high, but I don't buy in to that and would in fact be ok with him even higher up the order. Curran, Robinson and Broad are as strong an 8-9-10 as you are likely to get.

33 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Bairstow would stay at 5, which, if he's playing, has to be his position. It would then push Buttler back up to 6, which imo is where he looks most comfortable in test match cricket. Moeen at 7 could be argued as one too high, but I don't buy in to that and would in fact be ok with him even higher up the order. Curran, Robinson and Broad are as strong an 8-9-10 as you are likely to get.

I’ll be honest, I had completely forgotten about Curran.  I think England play best with a keeper at 7.   If you can find a way to get Ali at 8, Curran at 9, (potentially Woakes at 10) I think batting wise you’re as deep as you can get. 

Stokes is so important to the balance. The shorter the tail, the better England play.  

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ll be honest, I had completely forgotten about Curran.  I think England play best with a keeper at 7.   If you can find a way to get Ali at 8, Curran at 9, (potentially Woakes at 10) I think batting wise you’re as deep as you can get. 

Stokes is so important to the balance. The shorter the tail, the better England play.  

I agree with the general point that England need 6 bats plus the keeper, with Buttler I'd still have him at 6 (in the last test I'd have had him and Lawrence switched). I think if Woakes was fit then Moeen wouldn't have been recalled, as Woakes would bat 1 ahead of Curran and give the batting to allow Broad to drop out for Leach (if a spinner is required).

You are right re Stokes though, and it really showed last week. 

Hameed, Moeen and Wood in for Crawley, Lawrence and Broad. Anderson deemed fit enough to play, I hope they don't regret that decision.

England won the toss and bowl first after the start was delayed by 15 minutes due to the rain, pitch is a little green. 5 overs gone, India 6 without loss.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Curran (and his brother tbf) have incredibly punchable faces.

I've always thought that too. Tom seems to have the personality to match it as well (though that's possibly harsh, and me projecting my hate for him as an international cricketer, which he shouldn't be, on to his personality).

After losing the toss, India's batting has been superb today. 
England's bowling has been predictably mediocre in favourable conditions.
Another typical Lord's test match. 
They've been poor since tea, but the ball moved about a fair bit early on, credit to India's batsmen for playing so well imo.