The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'll probably take a bit of heat for this but I just don't see the point of Sam Curran at test level. Especially in an ashes year. If everything is geared towards preparing for the ashes he's the one player I would say won't travel if everyone is available. Not fast enough with the ball to create real problems and not good enough with the bat to get in as an all rounder. Like the rest of the side they aren't helped when the top order collapses but still

Not a phrase you'll hear too often but Crawley and Sibley seem to have steadied the ship somewhat after the first over. A few near misses, but if these 2 can get to lunch, England will be very happy. Neither really instill much confidence though.

12 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I'll probably take a bit of heat for this but I just don't see the point of Sam Curran at test level. Especially in an ashes year. If everything is geared towards preparing for the ashes he's the one player I would say won't travel if everyone is available. Not fast enough with the ball to create real problems and not good enough with the bat to get in as an all rounder. Like the rest of the side they aren't helped when the top order collapses but still

And the heat will be deserved. While I sort of understand your argument, he's a player that just makes things happen. With the ball, he is your something different guy, which means he's competing with the spinners for a spot. But he's absolutely worthy of a spot in the squad, and in home conditions should be in the team more often than he's out of it.

9 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Not a phrase you'll hear too often but Crawley and Sibley seem to have steadied the ship somewhat after the first over. A few near misses, but if these 2 can get to lunch, England will be very happy. Neither really instill much confidence though.

India have bowled superbly, tbh. Getting through to lunch with these two would be massive.

26 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I agree that Curran is pointless in terms of the Ashes but can be effective in English conditions & number 8 seems about right for his batting, foreby anything else he is at least fit which makes him a shoo-in at the moment.

40 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Crawley surely needs a break now. He's just not an opening test batsman. India deserve that wicket. Another before lunch puts them firmly on top.

All of the top 3 probably need a spell out. The issue is the alternatives. Hameed has played himself back in to another chance, which is great to see, but other than that there really isn't anyone knocking the door down. 

Joe Root now Englands record run scorer across all formats.
He'll certainly keep moving up the all time list, but he's not even halfway to Tendulkar's 34000 odd. He is only 30 so there's a good chance he could get into the top 10 before he is done.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
42 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
Joe Root now Englands record run scorer across all formats.

He'll certainly keep moving up the all time list, but he's not even halfway to Tendulkar's 34000 odd. He is only 30 so there's a good chance he could get into the top 10 before he is done.

No one is getting near the Little Master that's for sure, although Kohli should get up to 2nd or 3rd before he is done.

All of the top 3 probably need a spell out. The issue is the alternatives. Hameed has played himself back in to another chance, which is great to see, but other than that there really isn't anyone knocking the door down. 
They haven't been great for a while, but are still up there as England's highest test scorers this year.

Root 942 and counting, average 58.37
Lawrence 329, average 29.9
Sibley 317, average 21.13
Burns 296, average 32.88.

Nobody else has scored over 200 total runs.

Dismal averages tbf, but as you say, who can come in and do better? Hameed the only other option I can see at the moment.

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Bairstow lbw for 29 just before tea, 138-4. All on Root to hold this together as usual.

There's plenty batting before we're at that stage. Lawrence in particular is an in form bat.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

They haven't been great for a while, but are still up there as England's highest test scorers this year.

Root 942 and counting, average 58.37
Lawrence 329, average 29.9
Sibley 317, average 21.13
Burns 296, average 32.88.

Nobody else has scored over 200 total runs.

Dismal averages tbf, but as you say, who can come in and do better? Hameed the only other option I can see at the moment.

That's a product of the rotation policy, as much as anything else. Sibley hasn't been rotated because he doesn't play other formats. An average of 21.1 is, as you say, absolutely dismal. He's the one I'd drop first.

This game is poised quite nicely, England need one of the lower order to perform, but as I've said there is still plenty batting to come. India will also feel like a quick wicket or two and they're well on top.

You also know that in spite of India showing them exactly how to bowl here, they will have a 14-18 over spell at it tonight where they will completely fail to pitch it up.

They are a complete shambles in Test Cricket, Aussies must be odds on for a whitewash this winter.