The Cricket Thread

bewlay

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The afternoon session see Buttler (55) and Curran (13) lose their wickets. Root still there on 137, 252-6.

Big innings coming up for Bess, he needs runs to justify his selection for India as he needs more than lucky wickets with Mo back in the frame.

1 minute ago, Perkin Flump said:

Big innings coming up for Bess, he needs runs to justify his selection for India as he needs more than lucky wickets with Mo back in the frame.

It has to be Ali everytime for me, unfortunately Bess is a 3rd rate spinner, a fit focused Ali is a huge asset.

Just now, Tynierose said:

It has to be Ali everytime for me, unfortunately Bess is a 3rd rate spinner, a fit focused Ali is a huge asset.

I am a massive fan so totally biased but Mo has to come back in, if he gets in a groove with his batting he can do so much damage & his bowling is underrated. Would like to see Virdi getting a chance as well, need to see if he can step up & could have 13-15 years in front of him if he is up to it.

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Root tons up again, but England lost Bairstow and Lawrence in the morning session. 181-4 at lunch with Root on 105 and Buttler on 30, 200 runs behind.

Probably fair to say that Joe Root is the best English player of spin in quite some time.   It's like he's batting on a different wicket to everyone else.  

England need to be in at the close to have any chance of salvaging this test I think. That 9-11 will be lucky to make double figures combined
Agreed, think they need to take as much time as they can out the game as well as trying to creep into the lead.

Bess doing well so far, just needs to hang in there. Fortunately for England none of the other bowlers is threatening much and Embuldeniya is struggling to find the same turn now that the new ball has softened a bit.

Root vs spin is just in a different class from most batsmen in the game just now, never mind the England team.

Been watching Root's innings all day and he has been faultless. Switch hit is coming out now and he is head and shoulders above the rest of the batsmen.

Suffering a bit from cramp now, commentators said he has been on the field in both test matches for every over except 36. That is a phenomenal effort in the heat.

Been watching Root's innings all day and he has been faultless. Switch hit is coming out now and he is head and shoulders above the rest of the batsmen.

Suffering a bit from cramp now, commentators said he has been on the field in both test matches for every over except 36. That is a phenomenal effort in the heat.
TMS retweeted a similar stat a wee while back that he had been on the field for 93% of the series so far, that's probably crept up since. Phenomenal effort.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The aerial shots suggest that might be a decent place to sit for 5 days with a few cans watching the cricket, don't they?

It's on my list of five grounds to watch cricket in one day if I win lottery.

Cape Town

Antigua

Galle

Eden Gardens

SCG  -  I've watched Aussie Rules match their but not cricket.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Bess goes, survived a review which showed the ball had bounced into the fielder's hands, but went next ball anyway.

Good knock from him, handy runs, and a good amount of time used as well. I like the decision to put Wood in, he might not last long but he'll score quickly if he does.

Good knock from him, handy runs, and a good amount of time used as well. I like the decision to put Wood in, he might not last long but he'll score quickly if he does.
Jinxed it, Wood tries to leather one and is caught behind. Not what his skipper was wanting from him.

Good test match. Two well matched sides. Wouldn't fancy batting last on this. On the India series, surely Mo has to come back in. Still don't see anything else than a 4-0 scudding for them but Jadeja missing out will certainly help England.