The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Can i ask, and this might be a silly question... Why did none of them go into 20/20 mode? These guys can all have a decent swipe and yet they tried to stick it out and defend, almost waiting for the inevitable.

I guess it's too so with field restrictions but I'm not clued up with that, and does it make that much a difference when the ball is flying over the boundary?

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Can i ask, and this might be a silly question... Why did none of them go into 20/20 mode? These guys can all have a decent swipe and yet they tried to stick it out and defend, almost waiting for the inevitable.

I guess it's too so with field restrictions but I'm not clued up with that, and does it make that much a difference when the ball is flying over the boundary?

Ultimately the object of the game when it's at that stage is survival. Going in to slog move will probably add some quick runs, but it also pretty much guarantees that their wickets will fall, particularly given that there are no fielding restrictions (other than no more than 2 fielders behind square on the leg side). You have to be really really good (or very very lucky) to survive for very long trying to hit sixes with the field back on the rope.

Ultimately the object of the game when it's at that stage is survival. Going in to slog move will probably add some quick runs, but it also pretty much guarantees that their wickets will fall, particularly given that there are no fielding restrictions (other than no more than 2 fielders behind square on the leg side). You have to be really really good (or very very lucky) to survive for very long trying to hit sixes with the field back on the rope.
Aye but surely a few decent hits and then force them to move the field back - then take your singles.

It just looked so slow, and yet the likes of cummins and starc can fair whack it about in the short forms.

The Indian bowlers were going to get them eventually - but by scoring 1 or 2 per over they provided no real threat.
Jasprit Bumrah is a boy I could watch bowling all day. Such an odd bowling style, almost dressage like in his approach, but f**k me he's got an explosive delivery. His ball to Cummins was vicious.
He just seems so camp to me. He kind of minces in and then bowls fucking brilliantly.

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Sourav Ganguly: Former India captain stable after cardiac arrest - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55514591

Maybe he had just heard about the Indian players who appear to have breached the bubble protocols in Australia possibly putting the 3rd test in jeopardy.

Eating a meal. A succulent Chinese meal.

Pakistan all out for 297 against NZ with Azhar Ali making 93.   Still missing their best player.  Jamieson took 5.

Meanwhile pitiful Sri Lanka last only 40 overs as they're skittled for 157 with nortje taking six.     To be fair to the visitors they are decimated with injury.

55 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Pakistan all out for 297 against NZ with Azhar Ali making 93.   Still missing their best player.  Jamieson took 5.

Meanwhile pitiful Sri Lanka last only 40 overs as they're skittled for 157 with nortje taking six.     To be fair to the visitors they are decimated with injury.

This is Jamieson’s 6th Test and his third 5 wicket haul.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Why are England having to arrive in sri Lanka and quarantine whilst the hosts are still in SA for a test?

Sri Lanka should be in a bubble in SA so they shouldn’t need to quarantine when they get back?

I have no idea if that’s right, just taking a guess.

5 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

India ‘not keen’ to travel to Brisbane for the 4th test. I really hope cricket Australia show some backbone and tell them to stick to the schedule or forfeit.

It’s because the Queensland Government has reintroduced quarantine restrictions due to the Greater Sydney Covid outbreak. They don’t want to go into another 14 day quarantine hotel stay. CA will probably be happy to have another Sydney Test.  Without looking up current restrictions I don’t think India can avoid quarantine in any other state unless granted an exemption by that state government.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

It’s because the Queensland Government has reintroduced quarantine restrictions due to the Greater Sydney Covid outbreak. They don’t want to go into another 14 day quarantine hotel stay. CA will probably be happy to have another Sydney Test.  Without looking up current restrictions I don’t think India can avoid quarantine in any other state unless granted an exemption by that state government.

Where else, where else but Queensland...

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

New Zealand toiling a bit in reply, 71-3.

Williamson just made another century (103) and Nicholls on 74. NZ now 260/3.

If anyone is interested NZ Cricket is live streaming some games from their Dream 11 women’s and men’s T20 competition through their NZC YouTube channel.

Edited by Eednud

Williamson just made another century (103) and Nicholls on 74. NZ now 260/3.
If anyone is interested NZ Cricket is live streaming some games from their Dream 11 women’s and men’s T20 competition through their NZC YouTube channel.
Nicholls had a lucky escape early on too when he edged Shaheen to the keeper, but it turned out to be a no ball. Would have been 74-4.