The Cricket Thread

bewlay

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
18 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:
At 255 and counting, this is now the highest fifth wicket partnership for England in tests. Really excellent stuff.

It's not a particularly flat track, is it?

It's certainly a batting track at the moment, but it's not a road. It's very dry, so would expect it to deteriorate quite a bit as we go.

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Crawley has now passed the 254 he got from his first 10 innings combined

This innings now accounts for more than 10% of his first class runs.

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

How long before England think about a declaration? Give Pakistan 10 overs to bat tonight?

I'd think that they'd like to have closer to 20 tonight, a chance to make real inroads. Once they are passed 500, I think they'll declare when Crawley either gets to 300 or out.

And as I type, Crawley is out stumped for 267. What an innings from him.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:
1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:
583-8d. 13 overs to be bowled this evening. I'd have declared a bit earlier, but either way that's an excellent first innings total.

I always think declarations come too late.

I'm the same. Always feel Root is a bit conservative. He always seems to come out with the win in these situations though, so he'll continue to be that way.

1 hour ago, Perkin Flump said:

Jimmys gonna Jimmy.

Just 4 to get to 600 now. Every chance he does it here.

30 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Getting Babar out is massive.  He’s Pakistan’s best batsman by a mile.

England are miles on top, and probably looking at an innings victory here already.  Pakistan is gonna Pakistan, though.

Yep, the Babar wicket was huge. Can see Pakistan starting their second innings still over 400 short of making England bat again.

34 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'm the same. Always feel Root is a bit conservative. He always seems to come out with the win in these situations though, so he'll continue to be that way.

Just 4 to get to 600 now. Every chance he does it here.

Yep, the Babar wicket was huge. Can see Pakistan starting their second innings still over 400 short of making England bat again.

I think he will, can see him getting a quick fivefer in the morning, will never see the likes of him again that is for sure.

1 hour ago, Perkin Flump said:

I think he will, can see him getting a quick fivefer in the morning, will never see the likes of him again that is for sure.

Yep. I don't know if I've said it in here before, but even if there is a bowler comes along that is better for England, they'll never surpass his wickets total. Anderson and Broad have been pretty fortunate that their careers have coincided with the peak of test match cricket. There are more tests played now than ever before, but going forward it is going to reduce again.

Thought there that it would be funny if Anderson took 599 and 600 with the first two balls of this innings, and wondered if it would count as a hat trick even though it's two different innings, so I looked it up. Short answer is that it would, and Merv Hughes did it against the West Indies in 1988, where he took one with the last ball of an over, the next with the first ball of his next over, and the third with the first ball of the next innings.