The Cricket Thread

bewlay

55 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Good debate last night on Tuffers and Vaughan about the bad light rules and how much time was lost during the match. Not that it was the only issue in this match, but one point raised was the insistence in England that play absolutely has to be scheduled to start at 11am, and 10.30 is only used if time is lost the day before.

10.30 isn't even used then, the time gets added to the end of the day rather than the start. 

The justification I've heard for the 11 o'clock start is that often in England there is a dew on the ground in the morning and it often doesn't clear in time for a 10.30 start. I don't know why the groundstaff couldn't just run the rope over the outfield to clear it as they would after rain though...

A interesting first session in the third test. England won the toss and batted. 91-2 at lunch with Crawley getting to his 50 on the last ball of the season. Burns and Sibley the men gone.

Also a bit of an old school look for test cricket with an old fashioned rope around the boundary, no sponsored cushions covering it. Unusual.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Some classic TMS innuendo earlier, with Agnew talking about Dorset knobs (a bread roll/biscuit, apparently) and repeatedly describing them as hard.

Ebony Rainford-Brent: "A hard knob in the morning sounds like the perfect way to start the day."

Wonderful.

Back to the cricket, 184/4 at tea, Crawley on 97 and Buttler on 24 and looking decent.

56 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

200 up for England for no more losses, Crawley gets his ton, looked very assured from the little I've seen today.

Makings of a big total here.   Buttler seems like he’s got his mojo back against a decent pace attack.  

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The Pakistan bowlers have run out of ideas, but buttler always gives you a chance.

They're going to need to rip through the tail with the new ball.

Now looks like they'll just try stem the flow until the close and go at them again in the morning. England's tail when coming in to a strong position are mighty dangerous as well.

35 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Had half an idea it had been a while since an England no3 had a big score, but not this long.

I was at Old Trafford when Root scored that 254. Was the best innings I'd witnessed, until I watched Steve Smith score his double ton in the ashes there last year.

This is a helluva partnership.

Absolutely massive hundred from one of the relative newbies, and buttler just continuing his bat form from the first test. Is he still the best option as wicket keeper batsman, or should he be in just for his bat?