The Cricket Thread

bewlay

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s also lasted at least 100 balls in the majority of his innings.  The scores haven’t been there, but the crease occupancy has.  I think he’s ahead of Crawley, right now, but there’s flexibility there.

I'm not conviced by young Crawley so far, seems to have some real technical issues, still he has time on his side.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Also Moeen Ali being named in one day squad means he won't be considered for the test side I'd imagine

If Dom Bess goes 1/103 and 2/99 in this test,  and/or gets a king pair, I’d say Ali would be in for him for the next test. 

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If Dom Bess goes 1/103 and 2/99 in this test,  and/or gets a king pair, I’d say Ali would be in for him for the next test. 

He won't be, he hasn't been kept in the wider test squad so they'll not be able to bring him back in without 5 days quarantine, I believe. If Bess fails it'll be Leach that comes in for him.

Oooh. big wicket. I'm just up from a night shift so haven't seen today's play. What is par here? I thought 350 would be a decent score at the start for the side batting first. Gonna struggle to get that I think. On the subject of the BLM piece yesterday, a powerful piece of TV. Mikey Holding is a marvellous man. I could listen to him talk  all day.

You know, I actually enjoy watching cricket when there are no spectators.
Really? It's worse than the football for me, but then I'm not a natural cricket fan, in the sense that i never played the game so i need the reactions to help me a bit.
It certainly takes some adjusting to. The silence when someone plays a great shot is very off-putting initially.
I've not adjusted yet.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Mightily impressed by this Windies performance so far. Great discipline with bat and ball.

Yup.  England’s batting inept again though.   Is Thorpe still the batting coach?  This team is as flakey as he was, only with half the talent in some cases.

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The decision to drop broad for Wood isn't looking a particularly clever one so far.

No worse than choosing to bat, but I agree.  I don’t see what Archer brings to the test team.  Lengthens the tail, and offers nothing that Wood doesn’t.  I’d have Broad and Anderson with Woakes, Wood and Archer vying for two places.  I might even have Woakes in every game, and rotate Archer and Wood.