The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Anybody got any thoughts on ...

A/ Zimbabwe

B/ The overturning of the result of the Oval test v Pakistan

J Agnew was raging obout this on Radio 5 live this morning. He said if you are losing a Game stay in the dressing room and get the ICC to call it a draw.

I dont get the ICC they seem unable to make any rational decisions.

There are real problems over Zimbabwe while i would like to keep politics out of the sport, Zimbabwe ,s presence at the 20/20 word cup will be used by Mugabe.

There are problems with the Indian Premeir League etc etc . I thought THE SFA/SPL/SFL, were a bunch of wasters this lot.....

Edited by capybara

Anybody got any thoughts on ...

A/ Zimbabwe

J Agnew was raging obout this on Radio 5 live this morning. He said if you are losing a Game stay in the dressing room and get the ICC to call it a draw.

There are real problems over Zimbabwe while i would like to keep politics out of the sport, Zimbabwe ,s presence at the 20/20 word cup will be used by Mugabe.

There are problems with the Indian Premeir League etc etc . I thought THE SFA/SPL/SFL, were a bunch of wasters this lot.....

a/ Their guff, so I'm not really fussed, won't be back playing tests ever again.

b/ ICC pandering to the subcontinent sides again, all about $.

All the power in cricket is with the Asian nations now- witness the farce of Harbhajan / Symonds where the Indians took the 'it's my ball' approach and the ICC bent over for them.

In other news, Scotland are predictably getting dicked off the Blackcaps- 74/6 although according to cricinfo it's now raining so we might get a no result!

All the power in cricket is with the Asian nations now- witness the farce of Harbhajan / Symonds where the Indians took the 'it's my ball' approach and the ICC bent over for them.

In other news, Scotland are predictably getting dicked off the Blackcaps- 74/6 although according to cricinfo it's now raining so we might get a no result!

Refuse to come out it,s the new way :(

78/8 atm

Pathetic. I see it was another magnificient effort from skipper Ryan Watson with a predicably feeble 0, making a superb 0 off 9 balls in 2 innings from Der Kapitan. Jeesh, why do we persist in playing a sport at international level when we are so clearly shite at it. I just hope this bunch of clowns don't get any tax payers dollars....shocking :huh:

Watson must go :angry:

Edited by RedWeb

Why have they suddenly decided to bring this up though?

It was two years ago and it's hardly been mentioned recently, is it connected with the re-appearance of Hair as an Test umpire a couple of months ago?

Pathetic. I see it was another magnificient effort from skipper Ryan Watson with a predicably feeble 0, making a superb 0 off 9 balls in 2 innings from Der Kapitan. Jeesh, why do we persist in playing a sport at international level when we are so clearly shite at it. I just hope this bunch of clowns don't get any tax payers dollars....shocking :huh:

Watson must go :angry:

Because we'll only improve by playing against the best, look at Ireland in the WC. We've got these sort of games in place, and there's some pretty good work being down with the under 19's.

Sides like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka had to start somewhere.

I also believe India or someone like that took around like 8 years to win their first test.

Because we'll only improve by playing against the best

Scottish cricket blew any chance of credibility when we suffered that woeful defeat to the Dutch in the World Cup. The recent mind numbing loss to Namibia when we let their 10th wicket pair get a 50 stand to win a match was almost as bad. The only sides we seem to be capable of beating are Ireland B and Lancashire. Not a recipe for success.

Scottish cricket blew any chance of credibility when we suffered that woeful defeat to the Dutch in the World Cup. The recent mind numbing loss to Namibia when we let their 10th wicket pair get a 50 stand to win a match was almost as bad. The only sides we seem to be capable of beating are Ireland B and Lancashire. Not a recipe for success.

And success has to be over 2-3 years rather than built up.

Durham were the absolute whipping boys of county cricket for years, take a look at how their doing no, nearly all due to their investments in their youth system.

At them moment we're not up to competeing with the counties regualrly, but there's nothing to say we won't be in a few years time, especially with more and more of our youngsters getting signed up to counties.

Durham were the absolute whipping boys of county cricket for years, take a look at how their doing no, nearly all due to their investments in their youth system.

Nearly is the word...last time I looked they appeared to have 4 overseas players (Benkenstein - Zim, De Venuto & Thorp - Aus, Morkel - SA) , 3 of whom must somehow qualify as EU or British citizens.

With regards to Scotland, the results haven't changed much over the last 20 years and at times we appear to be going backwards. It's an amateur sport up here and probably always will be. We will never be able to mix it with the established sides, not even on one off occasions.

Edited by RedWeb

Nearly is the word...last time I looked they appeared to have 4 overseas players (Benkenstein - Zim, De Venuto & Thorp - Aus, Morkel - SA) , 3 of whom must somehow qualify as EU or British citizens.

With regards to Scotland, the results haven't changed much over the last 20 years and at times we appear to be going backwards. It's an amateur sport up here and probably always will be. We will never be able to mix it with the established sides, not even on one off occasions.

Benkenstein is a Kolpak, Di Veuto has 1 English parent and Throp has 2. Morkel is the overseas player.

It doesn't disguise the fact that their now starting to contribute plenty of Current and Future England players.

Was at the game today: total massacre! :angry:

Early conditions were suited for the bowlers (Gillespie's yorker that did Hamilton was an piece of utter genius), but even so, the batting was awful.

Scotland bowlers didn't look much good today either.

Poor show......