The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

I can accept Buttler doing it with all the incompetence around him swinging. However, I think it’s time Foakes came in. Can’t do worse than Bairstow or Buttler surely?

I totally agree. He's not going to do any worse with the bat, but he's comfortably the best gloveman.

Broad gets cleaned up by Rabada to seal it for South Africa. 107 run win.

Johnathan Agnew was talking this week about how England were better than South Aftica and that they should win this Test Match. Again, I'm not sure why the English media talk up their side so much when they are a pretty average test team with players who have no discipline and/or only do well at home.

Guest Moomintroll
Bairstow should be nowhere near the England Test side until he can score first-class runs. I don’t want to see him again.

Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler*, Curran, Archer, Broad, Jimmy

*because there are no other competent keepers out there
Might be best to get Ben Foakes out there post haste to be honest.

2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

I’m not saying he will be excellent but he can’t be any worse than Buttler or Bairstow, both of whom have far outstayed their welcome in the team.

I still think there's a place for Buttler tbh. Bairstow though should be absolutely gone. An average keeper (at best) and pretty much a walking wicket at test level this year. 

I still think there's a place for Buttler tbh. Bairstow though should be absolutely gone. An average keeper (at best) and pretty much a walking wicket at test level this year. 

Buttler isn’t helped by the tailenders all thinking they’re Rishabh Pant but he has a horrific record in Tests this year. Given that the ECB have forgotten who Foakes is I suspect he will stay as the keeper as Bairstow is far worse.

Rumours that Bess will play the next Test in Cape Town, which is bizarre given he wasn’t originally selected and will be leapfrogging Leach and Parkinson. Not overly bothered about what spinner plays but it means dropping a seam bowler that probably doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Pope will come in for Bairstow I’d imagine, though.

Given it’s likely that Pretorious will make way for the returning Bavuma in the next Test so that SA meet their ‘transformational race targets’ that they failed to meet in the first Test, I wouldn’t blame him for going.
Keegan Petersen has been called up to replace the injured Markram, so that helps with the quotas.

Keegan Petersen has been called up to replace the injured Markram, so that helps with the quotas.

Apparently Pieter Malan is going to play instead of Markram which is just a like for like white swap. Bavuma apparently still struggling as well so SA will remain below their quota of 3 blacks and 3 coloured. They only have 1 black (Rabada) and 3 coloured/Asian (Philander, Hamza, Maharaj).

They also now have the problem that to get Bavuma back in you’d likely have to drop Pretorius or van der Dussen who both did well.

Also looks like Sibley will miss the next Test with illness for England. Could be seeing Crawley open?

Guest Moomintroll

I’m not saying he will be excellent but he can’t be any worse than Buttler or Bairstow, both of whom have far outstayed their welcome in the team.

I can understand what you are saying @Day of the Lords but even as an LCCC suporter Jos needs to take a break from red ball cricket. Ben Foakes is the best WK of them all & did nothing wrong as a Test Batsman so has to come back in. YJB looks totally shot & has zero defence to a fast ball around his legs, he needs to go away and work on his defence.

Guest Moomintroll

Buttler isn’t helped by the tailenders all thinking they’re Rishabh Pant but he has a horrific record in Tests this year. Given that the ECB have forgotten who Foakes is I suspect he will stay as the keeper as Bairstow is far worse.

Rumours that Bess will play the next Test in Cape Town, which is bizarre given he wasn’t originally selected and will be leapfrogging Leach and Parkinson. Not overly bothered about what spinner plays but it means dropping a seam bowler that probably doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Pope will come in for Bairstow I’d imagine, though.
Again as a Lancy fan, Matt Parkinson deserves a chance as he doesn't get to bowl on Cyderabad every other week so he can actually turn a ball rather than just relying on the pitch.

Again as a Lancy fan, Matt Parkinson deserves a chance as he doesn't get to bowl on Cyderabad every other week so he can actually turn a ball rather than just relying on the pitch.

It’s a bit odd. Looks like Pope and Bess will come in for Bairstow and Anderson.

Malan replacing Markram is the only change for SA.

Edit - also Crawley possibly replacing the ill Sibley