The Cricket Thread

bewlay

That was a horrible shot.

Atherton correctly saying England are not scoring enough, both from a mentality viewpoint (Adelaide 2006 comes to mind) and also if you get even 30 ahead it eats up a small amount of time time with the 2 over changearound and NZ having to chase them.

69 off 43 overs so far.

That was a horrible shot.
Atherton correctly saying England are not scoring enough, both from a mentality viewpoint (Adelaide 2006 comes to mind) and also if you get even 30 ahead it eats up a small amount of time time with the 2 over changearound and NZ having to chase them.
69 off 43 overs so far.
It definitely smacks of England having no confidence that they could score enough to go in front, so have started the day with the sole aim of batting time. Root had looked untroubled up til then.

First wicket goes, Root guiding a short ball from de Grandhomme straight to gully. 69/4.

When do we start saying Stokes > Root?

Honestly the captaincy is absolutely crippling Root, and his record as a captain is pretty abysmal tbh. Hasn’t won a Test Series in 2019, unless you include the Ireland Test. The only thing is I don’t know who to replace him. I have my reservations about Stokes being captain but I reckon it may happen in the future.

To add to his batting and bowling achievements in this Test Mitchell Satner takes a magnificent catch and that’s Ollie Pope out for 6 off of Wagner’s bowling and New Zealand just need to take another 3 wickets with the new ball due soon.

Just caught up with the bite size highlights and the verdict on Sky, some of the shots that got players out were awful. Or no shot at all in Buttler's case.
 The 5th day surface wasn’t a bad one, and Santner didn’t even take a 5th day wicket. To lose by an innings is absolutely pathetic as were the excuses by Root after the game.

The facts are that Broad and Curran (and Woakes) need it to swing and nibble about. Archer is useless unless he bowls exceptionally fast. Leach isn’t very good.

As for the batsmen, only Root averages above 40. Compare that to New Zealand who have 6 averaging above 40 (Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, Watling, de Grandhomme).

Bairstow was rightly dropped but Buttler is lucky to still be there, and probably only is because Bairstow was dropped. Only batsmen to come out of that game with any credit is Stokes and Denly.

England cannot bat.

They aren't good despite all the hype. Shouldn't have won the World Cup in home conditions but got an incorrect umpiring call to take it to the Super Over, then should have lost a home Ashes series to a pretty poor Australia and but for Smith having to sit out one test and one great knock from Stokes (as well as an awful bit of Glovework by Paine missing the run out) would have lost convincingly.

They aren't good despite all the hype. Shouldn't have won the World Cup in home conditions but got an incorrect umpiring call to take it to the Super Over, then should have lost a home Ashes series to a pretty poor Australia and but for Smith having to sit out one test and one great knock from Stokes (as well as an awful bit of Glovework by Paine missing the run out) would have lost convincingly.

What hype? They’ve got a very decent one day side and the red ball team is in transition. I think people are pretty realistic, given England sport in general.

They're very good sometimes, but the main problem is inconsistency.

Think you're being harsh in terms of the world cup. They got a lucky call but they were a very good team in that tournament.

They're very good sometimes, but the main problem is inconsistency.

Think you're being harsh in terms of the world cup. They got a lucky call but they were a very good team in that tournament.

White ball team is elite no doubt. Think the red ball team is pretty average to be honest. To only have one batsman averaging above 40 is shocking. A lot has been made of being more cautious now that Bayliss has left, but what England are doing is just not playing big shots but still defending poorly.

What hype? They’ve got a very decent one day side and the red ball team is in transition. I think people are pretty realistic, given England sport in general.
Maybe I'm just over sensitive to the BBC input (which is where I get most of my cricket info since I don't take Sky). Ben Stokes is favourite for SPOTY, the England cricket team are one of the favourites for the Team of the Year award, the pundits were making out the summer was a success despite failing to win the Ashes, they were talking about how good a bowling line-up they have and how deep their batting goes with plenty of evidence to the contrary, etc. It only ever seems to be Vaughan and sometimes Agnew when they speak to a foreigner that thinks there are serious issues.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive to the BBC input (which is where I get most of my cricket info since I don't take Sky). Ben Stokes is favourite for SPOTY, the England cricket team are one of the favourites for the Team of the Year award, the pundits were making out the summer was a success despite failing to win the Ashes, they were talking about how good a bowling line-up they have and how deep their batting goes with plenty of evidence to the contrary, etc. It only ever seems to be Vaughan and sometimes Agnew when they speak to a foreigner that thinks there are serious issues.

Ben Stokes is rightly the favourite for the SPOTY. He used to be a massive arrogant c**t always getting involved in shit he shouldn’t, on the field and off it. Now he has reinvented himself and is arguably the best all rounder in the world (since Shakib has been a massive knob and got banned) and his World Cup/Ashes heroics were superhuman.

As a World Cup winning team, England are always going to be nominated for Team of the Year. The summer was a success as a whole, but the Ashes was not. Whitewashing Pakistan in the ODIs and winning the World Cup was excellent.

Their batting lineup is very deep at white-ball level, as is their bowling. It may be a bit more shallow at Test level but that’s always likely to be the case as it’s a harder format.

Vaughan is a p***k.

BTW everyone vote for Stokes this year to upset the gammonistas. Can’t be having the egg chaser, fake yank driver or those runners winning it.

He’d definitely get my vote (if calls didn’t cost £3 per minute and network charges apply).

It’s a fair point about the English dominance of the team award, but nobody really gives a fig about that.

Alun Wyn Jones. Good grief.