The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll
Namibia were all out for 96.

Ireland just struggled their way to 125 all out against the UAE in the final match of the day.
UAE strolling it at the moment.

India declare on 497/9. Rohit made 212 and Rahane made 115. Umesh came in at the tail end and hit 31 off 10 including 5 sixes. Saffers already 9/2 after 5 overs.
Been pretty dismal from the Saffers in the series so far. Still nowhere near replacing all the guys that have retired in the last few years.

Been pretty dismal from the Saffers in the series so far. Still nowhere near replacing all the guys that have retired in the last few years.

Across all formats they’ve lost a lot of guys Steyn, Amla, de Villiers, Tahir, Duminy, Morkel etc and the Kolpak guys like Abbott and Olivier which are all huge blows tbf

Across all formats they’ve lost a lot of guys Steyn, Amla, de Villiers, Tahir, Duminy, Morkel etc and the Kolpak guys like Abbott and Olivier which are all huge blows tbf
Definitely, any team is going to struggle losing all that quality and experience.

The draft picks for the hundred took place earlier. Afghan spinner Rashid Khan was the first player picked, while Malinga and Chris Gayle went unpicked. My own personal opinion is that this tourney could be a disaster, I'm not really seeing who is going to go and support these new manufactured teams, and it's also going to force the county championship away from the time when the weather is likely to be best.IMG_20191020_225219.jpeg

The draft picks for the hundred took place earlier. Afghan spinner Rashid Khan was the first player picked, while Malinga and Chris Gayle went unpicked. My own personal opinion is that this tourney could be a disaster, I'm not really seeing who is going to go and support these new manufactured teams, and it's also going to force the county championship away from the time when the weather is likely to be best.IMG_20191020_225219.jpeg.5ff8ad6d6bc181e592c62900b2e42839.jpeg
It's a pile of absolute shite that they will try and hype f**k out of.  Joke competition that makes a mockery of  cricket.
I know social media isn't always a good barometer of things but the hashtag "Boycot the Hundred" was as popular if not more so than "Hundred draft" this evening. Lots of county cricket fans unhappy at not having their own county to support. The ECB won't care about pissing off traditionalists mind you, although on one hand making the game more simple (100 ball countdown, 10 ball overs etc.) and on the other hand making it more complicated with the power plays and double overs and bowling from the same end etc. seems a bit of a muddle. Ironic that they of course "invented" T20 then did nothing with it, and that having won the 50 over World Cup they are trying a new format which might hinder their side in all three current international formats.

Gayle and Malinga going unpicked is remarkable considering their T20 records.

England’s refusal to shift from their traditionalism and create a T20 franchsie league back around the time of the IPL has ultimately served up this as it’s too late to make a meaningful T20 league. Hence why they are creating this in an attempt to catch up with the IPL, BBL, CPL etc

I honestly have no opinion but did folk not say that about the IPL as well? And it's fine not too bad for itself.
Think the problem with this is it years too late, and trying to shoe horn it in now can only be to the detriment of the existing competitions.
It's a pile of absolute shite that they will try and hype f**k out of.  Joke competition that makes a mockery of  cricket.
Plenty of former players have already started hyping it up off the back of the draft last night. Funnily enough a lot of the same ones who moaned all summer about the lack of good red ball players.

SA 26/4 at tea after being made to follow on again by India. They still need 309 more to make India bat again.

6 down now for 75 but effectively 7 with Elgar retired hurt. They’re getting nowhere near the target. Gonna be a big innings win for India. The pitch doesn’t even look that bad this time, SA are just awful.

Scotland beat PNG by 4 runs, very nearly fucking it up at the end again before Josh Davey saw it out.

Really good bowling performance all round. Can’t help but feel taking Ali Evans out has improved us, he always seems to have one or two wayward overs and when the games are as tight as they have been you can’t really excuse for that.

Remarkable that the Welsh Fire have managed to pick 8 foreigners despite only being allowed 3 (Starc, Smith and Ahmed). That is of course mainly down to the Kolpak ruling meaning they also selected du Plooy, Ingram, Harmer, Rampaul and ten Doeschate (yes I know he is slightly different). Now they have more foreign players than local ones.

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Remarkable that the Welsh Fire have managed to pick 8 foreigners despite only being allowed 3 (Starc, Smith and Ahmed). That is of course mainly down to the Kolpak ruling meaning they also selected du Plooy, Ingram, Harmer, Rampaul and ten Doeschate (yes I know he is slightly different). Now they have more foreign players than local ones.

Welsh Fire : zero Welsh players.

Hadn't realised (though shame on me for being so naive) that this qualifier shitshow Scotland are playing in is only to pre-qualify for the main event, the 6 qualifiers go into 2 groups of 4 with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and 4 teams qualify from there to go with the top 8 (which includes Afghanistan who edged out SL at the ranking point cut off).

Also just assumed it was the top 3 in each group who went through but it isn't, only 1st guarantees you qualify so we need to win out, hope Netherlands beat Singapore tomorrow, and then pump the Netherlands so NRR goes in our favour. Or if Singapore win then hope they lose one of their other games.