The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The Aussies batting hasn't really impressed either.  

Is it this Duke ball that's basically unplayable?

Like you've said, these totals would be poor (from both teams) in white ball cricket.

I think it’s more to do with ball dominating bat atm. I could list off several world class bowlers in the world at the moment but I couldn’t do the same for batsmen. I’d say Kohli, Smith and Williamson are the only ‘elite’ batsmen right now. Root is below that level now IMO along with the likes of Faf, Pujara and maybe De Kock and Dimuth as well.

The Aussies batting hasn't really impressed either.

Is it this Duke ball that's basically unplayable?

Like you've said, these totals would be poor (from both teams) in white ball cricket.
Yes, the Duke ball that England wanted as it suits their bowlers. Turns out their batsmen can't play it though.

Sir Geoffrey was actuàlly quite measured with his comments today, and he was right when he said that Thorpe has to be asking Stokes and the other guys who went chasing balls well outside off stump, what are they actually thinking when they play those shots? 4 times in the last 18 months England have been dismissed for 85 or less, 3 times this year. IMO it's a combination of mindset and bad technique that is to blame. They are so attuned to wanting to score that I bet there is hardly any practice done on defence, at least it certainly looks that way.

Some stats from today...IMG_20190823_210032.jpeg

Yes, the Duke ball that England wanted as it suits their bowlers. Turns out their batsmen can't play it though.

Sir Geoffrey was actuàlly quite measured with his comments today, and he was right when he said that Thorpe has to be asking Stokes and the other guys who went chasing balls well outside off stump, what are they actually thinking when they play those shots? 4 times in the last 18 months England have been dismissed for 85 or less, 3 times this year. IMO it's a combination of mindset and bad technique that is to blame. They are so attuned to wanting to score that I bet there is hardly any practice done on defence, at least it certainly looks that way.

Some stats from today...IMG_20190823_210032.jpeg.ffaad57a33dc22f95c7faaac8afcda48.jpeg

Normally there's some resistance though, some counter-attack. Usually woakes or bairstow or Ali manage to punch back with a reasonable knock. Today there was literally nothing. They made it look unplayable.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Normally there's some resistance though, some counter-attack. Usually woakes or bairstow or Ali manage to punch back with a reasonable knock. Today there was literally nothing. They made it look unplayable.

Someone mentioned on the BBC that Labuschagne is the only player to have been playing in the County Championship all Summer, and is also the only batsman (on either side really) to look vaguely competent. 

Ingerland might have the world cup, but they definitely aren't getting the urn. They currently resemble the Windies side of the late 90's/early 00's - two (maybe three) exceptional bowlers, two highly capable game changing batsmen, but the rest is fairly ordinary and they are liable to get rolled over cheaply as they did today.  Constant chop and change isn't likely to work short term, because there aren't any 'proper test' batsmen left, and the last one who looked promising (Hameed) lost his CC contract today.

Anyone with Sunday tickets going to be SOL I reckon.....

Edited by Scorge

Someone mentioned on the BBC that Labuschagne is the only player to have been playing in the County Championship all Summer, and is also the only batsman (on either side really) to look vaguely competent. 
Not looked at the stats, but Bancroft is Durham captain in the second division, I would assume he played most of their games before the test series got underway.

12 hours ago, Scorge said:

Anyone with Sunday tickets going to be SOL I reckon.....

22 hours ago, trainspotter said:

I have a ticket for Sunday.

Beverley Races appears to be the likely destination for Sunday. There isn’t a batsman in that team who you’d trust to dig in for a couple of hours never mind 2 days.

A lead of 358 for Australia and that should be the Ashes. Root under massive pressure as a batsman and captain.

Captain, yes, although I can’t see him stepping down. As batsman, absolutely not. If anything there’s not enough pressure.

Captain, yes, although I can’t see him stepping down. As batsman, absolutely not. If anything there’s not enough pressure.

Was more just my opinion rather than the general opinion. His batting has gradually declined since he became captain, and I don’t think his record as captain is very good (whether he is a good captain or not). The only thing is, I’m not sure there’s an obvious replacement for him. Stokes as Captain, would that really work?

England have so many players who are either out of form or are just walking wickets.

It's not an impossible target - the pitch is not that bad - they have plenty of time and need to just dig in. At least 7 or 8 of the wickets England lost in the first innings were to players chasing after loose balls.

The problem is though that I don't think many of them have the mentality or concentration to grind it out.

There's not a Boycott, Gooch or Tavare in that team.

19/2 already. Roy and Burns gone.
Watching the replay of Burns wicket - it's up at rib height - no need to play it - can these c***s not get out of the way of the ball?

Roy got out to a great ball. That being said - I don't think he should be anywhere near a test team - just doesn't have the temperament for the longer game.

Watching the replay of Burns wicket - it's up at rib height - no need to play it - can these c***s not get out of the way of the ball?

Roy got out to a great ball. That being said - I don't think he should be anywhere near a test team - just doesn't have the temperament for the longer game.

I think that’s harsh on Burns. Generally speaking I agree with you, but I think most folk would have got out to that.

Edit: Agnew is banging the drum on poor administration and poor preparation. It just happens that the focus has been on winning the World Cup. England’s batting is set up for one day cricket. Which is fine, as far as it goes. The new coach will probably refocus on test cricket, because losing to the West Indies and Pakistan next summer could cause all sorts of problems.

7 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Beverley Races appears to be the likely destination for Sunday. There isn’t a batsman in that team who you’d trust to dig in for a couple of hours never mind 2 days.

The wonderful thing about the England cricket team is that these two could see the rest of the day out, then you rock up tomorrow and see 8 wickets in 12 balls.

59 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The wonderful thing about the England cricket team is that these two could see the rest of the day out, then you rock up tomorrow and see 8 wickets in 12 balls.

The silver lining to that particular cloud would be half the ticket price refunded. Prefer a close finish though.