The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Given the circumstances....both match-wise and personally......this is one of the great test innings. 
That's not to excuse his actions in any shape or form, but he's an amazing batsman when he's on form. 

Agreed. Can’t excuse his actions but I’m quite happy for Smith. He seemed genuinely sorry for his actions (that I think he probably had the least to do with) and was really a broken man. Unlike those two arrogant wee wanks Warner and Bancroft who got what they deserved today.

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:
4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think names would be sufficient.

I just guess I always enjoyed that test cricket hadn't adopted this practice. Liked the whites. Don't really see the need for it in test cricket

Agree. The name and numbers look crap. Bring back plain whites now.

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Can England lose any their inevitable 3 early wickets tonight? Let’s see.

Only 2 overs, but they did well. Solid play and offered no chances.

Without Archer their attack looked one paced, without Anderson and with Moeen's lack of penetration Broad and Woaks had way too much work to do to be effective after the second session. 

The openers have to  knuckle down and sell their wickets dear to buy time for the middle order to kick off. Australias under powered batting got a let off by Englands under powered bowling. I feel they will make it tell. But Roy is incredibly gifted, if he can convert that into test runs they are up and running. The middle order has heft, the openers not so much. 

Agreed. Can’t excuse his actions but I’m quite happy for Smith. He seemed genuinely sorry for his actions (that I think he probably had the least to do with) and was really a broken man. Unlike those two arrogant wee wanks Warner and Bancroft who got what they deserved today.

Right. Warner is a different league of odious. I don’t think there’s anything Gammon in saying that. Smith is also a significantly better player than the other two.

On the note of odious players, the Kevin Pietersen documentary looks like a very good watch.

There really wasn’t. The video evidence speaks for itself, and two men selling a story to the press doesn’t make him the hero that you seem to want him to be painted as. 

You read a lot into that, most of which isn’t true.

It’s usually not a great idea to reduce a two-week trial into “the video evidence speaks for itself”, because it clearly doesn’t. There wouldn’t have been a two-week trial if it did.

Guest Moomintroll
What's all this chat about "the 16th most imposing ground in the world" that people keep tweeting/texting into TMS. Some honking patter no doubt.
Tim Paine was asked about the atmosphere at Edgbaston & he replied by saying he could think of 15 more intimidating grounds.

Guest Moomintroll
Stokes is an arrogant w****r tbh. Up there with Warner and De Kock in those stakes.

I’m willing to move on from the 3 Aussies cheating. Warner and Bancroft still remain absolute wankers though.
I was & still am willing to cut Smith some slack on it, the cheating was cooked up between that odious b*****d & the bowlers ( who would obviously notice the condition of the ball even if they were unaware) as well as some of the coaching staff who weren't exactly renowned for fair play through their careers. Smith was just too weak to stand up to them & therefore copped the flak as he is the Captain & should have put a stop to it.

FFS, can they not just sub these umpires, this is getting beyond a joke.

It’s poor. In itself they aren’t all horrendous decisions - the Joe Root one was understandable, for one - but that must be seventy or eighty percent of the decisions they’ve got wrong.

Three thoughts:

Joe Root has surpassed Graham Thorpe in test runs, 6745. Which is ridiculous, if you think about that.

Glenn McGrath is disappointingly excellent on TMS.

In addition to the decisions overturned by DRS, there have been four others that should/could/would have been.

Three thoughts:

Joe Root has surpassed Graham Thorpe in test runs, 6745. Which is ridiculous, if you think about that.

Glenn McGrath is disappointingly excellent on TMS.

In addition to the decisions overturned by DRS, there have been four others that should/could/would have been.

I can't honestly remember a worse umpiring performance, see the odd wrong call in matches but there must be about a dozen now and some of them have been utterly dreadful calls.

McGrath is excellent, as are most of the TMS team.

Very comfortable for England at the moment, 150 up.

Think Australia missing Starc here, probably one of the best strike bowlers in the world. Saw an interesting graphic on twitter that out of all the Australians to take 100 test wickets, Starc is the only one to have a strike rate of less than 50.