The Cricket Thread

bewlay

59 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I don’t support England personally, but I know plenty that do. It’s not the same as football or rugby where Scotland hate England and vice versa. Their media/fan arrogance is still present, but not to the extent of other sports.

58 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm surprised by that as I've played cricket for years and there has always been a lot of support for England.

54 minutes ago, Daydream said:

This. If you’ve played cricket up here then you’ll have seen support for England. If you’re a non cricketer you could be unaware.

45 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Gavin Hamilton played for England post 1992. The majority of cricket fans in Scotland have a primary interest in test cricket. The England team represents Scotland at test level. At one-day, it’s a legacy from Scotland not being an international side. It’s quite possible to support both Scotland and England in a way that’d be a bit weird in most other sports, because there’s no rivalry there.

I think it’s refreshing. The “anyone but England” thing doesn’t exist in cricket. I’m not sure why anyone would take issue with it other than parochial politics.

I played for a bit and genuinely didn’t see support like that from Scots - most wanted them to lose.

I don’t have an “issue” with it, it’s just surprised me as the first I’ve really seen it.

I could almost support England when they were a bit of a joke side and lost to pretty much everybody but I think the emergence of Scotland at one day level (and in the county championship) and the arrogance of the media put me off them entirely. Although it was an engrossing spectacle, I was certainly wanting Australia to win in the famous 2005 series, especially since the Australian win was quite resounding and the English wins were as close as you can get. Maybe it was because I was living in England at the time...

I could almost support England when they were a bit of a joke side and lost to pretty much everybody but I think the emergence of Scotland at one day level (and in the county championship) and the arrogance of the media put me off them entirely. Although it was an engrossing spectacle, I was certainly wanting Australia to win in the famous 2005 series, especially since the Australian win was quite resounding and the English wins were as close as you can get. Maybe it was because I was living in England at the time...

The media thing is one of the (myriad) reason I love seeing Australia lose. Their press is just awful.

Gavin Hamilton played for England post 1992. The majority of cricket fans in Scotland have a primary interest in test cricket. The England team represents Scotland at test level. At one-day, it’s a legacy from Scotland not being an international side. It’s quite possible to support both Scotland and England in a way that’d be a bit weird in most other sports, because there’s no rivalry there.

I think it’s refreshing. The “anyone but England” thing doesn’t exist in cricket. I’m not sure why anyone would take issue with it other than parochial politics.

I think that's it for me. My main interest is test cricket, and England are the only test team (aside from Ireland but that's a very recent development) anywhere near me so it seems natural to support them. To not support the ODI and T20 teams when they include many of the same players would feel contrived, and like you say there isn't a rivalry there. From my experience most Scottish cricket fans I know support England, though I did know a couple at uni who didn't, but most did.

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Michael Holding is positively seething.

And of course all the genuine advice he has for the team will be ignored, because, well, West Indies Cricket Board.

I think Holding (and Atherton) are my favourite analysts.  On that note, both the BBC and Sky's coverage of this tournament, for all its faults, has been excellent.