bewlay

The Cricket Thread

Rabada & Pretorious as well I believe.

de Kock and van der Dussen building a nice partnership now, both seem to have settled and are playing well now. If they can stay in together South Africa have a real chance.

First time I have seen v.d. dussen play and he looks a classy player, not much international experience but his record is very good

Well that Stokes catch is utterly ridiculous

Even he can't believe that one stuck, don't think he was even looking at it when it went into his hand.

Archer has been tremendous, he's already established himself as England's number 1 bowler imo.

Even he can't believe that one stuck, don't think he was even looking at it when it went into his hand.

Archer has been tremendous, he's already established himself as England's number bowler imo.

Agreed. Seen Archer a lot but mainly in T20s. He’s definitely England’s best bowler.

Agreed. Seen Archer a lot but mainly in T20s. He’s definitely England’s best bowler.
Can see him finishing Stuart Broads Test career. Anderson, Stokes & Woakes barring injury will be certainties for the Ashes, will strengthen their bowling and make their lower order even stronger, the tail will effectively be Jimmy.

Can see him finishing Stuart Broads Test career. Anderson, Stokes & Woakes barring injury will be certainties for the Ashes, will strengthen their bowling and make their lower order even stronger, the tail will effectively be Jimmy.

I can see that too. Archer really is a phenomenal player and could end up being the best bowler at this World Cup. I do wonder if we’ll see him and Wood together in a game or if Wood will get time on his own against a Sri Lanka or a weaker team.

As for England’s next couple of games, I can only see them strolling past Pakistan and Bangladesh. West Indies could pose a bit of a problem depending on what Windies side shows up. They bat quite deep sometimes with Russell (especially) and Brathwaite capable of hitting a fair number. Depends how guys like Gayle, Holder and Hetmyer perform who can all hit 100s but can all go early too. Shai Hope is a real danger man and I’ll be watching him tomorrow.

Never mind that, has Stokes had the standard cricketer's hair repair kit job done? Looks like it to me.

really can't get behind this format, the ICC shat it massively after India and Pakistan got knocked out early in 2007. That said I looked at the last time it was all play all in 1992 and this is how it finished

image.png.d809c9c50c9441c935bf0948ae032c5a.png

Obviously there's an extra team now, so probably 5 wins gives you a shout of the top 4 and 6 almost certainly gets you in.  It'll be interesting to see how much rotation there is with only 15 in the squad,  they might have Wood & Archer lined up for certain games, or play Dawson instead of Ali.

Can't believe the last one was 4 years ago, had 3 and a bit weeks in NZ & Oz and saw 6 games live, filled the rest of the days travelling about doing doing touristy stuff and then me and my 2 mates going to the pub to watch the cricket, especially if day/ night game.  Bliss.

The Afghanistan game is still one of my top 5 worst Scottish sporting boots in the balls though, injured myself celebrating their 9th wicket as I thought we would surely knock over the last pair with 15 or 20 in hand. 

Was it run rate or net run rate that decided things if you finished level on points? Just curious as I remember England were battering eventual winners Pakistan in the groups when it got rained off. Just wondering if Pakistan would have failed to qualify if they'd lost that game. 

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Was it run rate or net run rate that decided things if you finished level on points? Just curious as I remember England were battering eventual winners Pakistan in the groups when it got rained off. Just wondering if Pakistan would have failed to qualify if they'd lost that game. 

NRR according to cricinfo- yeah they would have been out with 1 point less but that was their third game of 8 and they lost the next two after that, before winning the last 3 then the two knockout matches.

edit: 74 in 40 overs looks like something from the 1700s  rather than the 1990s- also England would have knocked 74 off in 8 overs no bother now.

image.png.fb4e37a3528230518f46cdc41a42352a.png 

Edited by Fuctifano

Mental run rate from Pakistan. Can only assume they had read predictions of bad weather and were trying to stay out there as long as possible after a bad start. If so, it worked. 

Bizarre format for this World Cup. 45 group matches followed by only 3 knockout games. :unsure2:

It's all designed for Asian TV. They have to guarantee a minimum number of matches involving India and Pakistan. Who cares if the tournament drags on and bores everyone to death as a result? 

Likewise let's not have any day-night games so people in the host country can actually watch it when they get home from work/school. It means that it won't attract any new fans to the sport and there will be no legacy for the tournament whatsoever, but it suits the needs of Asian telly. 

It's all designed for Asian TV. They have to guarantee a minimum number of matches involving India and Pakistan. Who cares if the tournament drags on and bores everyone to death as a result? 
Likewise let's not have any day-night games so people in the host country can actually watch it when they get home from work/school. It means that it won't attract any new fans to the sport and there will be no legacy for the tournament whatsoever, but it suits the needs of Asian telly. 
There are half a dozen day/night games, with at least one from the Saffers, Australia or the Kiwis playing in them.

All the day/night games, except for one, are at weekends, when people could watch anyway. I meant there are no day/night games during the week so you can't watch if you're at work or school. Sorry for not explaining said point very well. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Pakistan will be lucky to make 100 here
Was just going to post exactly the same. Obviously the windies that can be bothered that have shown up today

Great to see proper Windies fast bowling back (unless you're facing it, natch).

Gayle clearly has somewhere to be for lunch.