The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Torn between "this is great entertainment" and "as an ex bowler, what's the point of this?"

I read an article on cricinfo about new stats for T20s based off the IPL for assessing who's actually any good,  I think they're definitely needed. For example  7 an over economy rate for a bowler in some of the postage stamp grounds in the Windies probably isn't terrible now. but in some of the bigger grounds in Australia it probably is.

edit: my favourite bit is definitely the Tunnock's adverts. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Moomintroll
Torn between "this is great entertainment" and "as an ex bowler, what's the point of this?"
I read an article on cricinfo about new stats for T20s based off the IPL for assessing who's actually any good,  I think they're definitely needed. For example  7 an over economy rate for a bowler in some of the postage stamp grounds in the Windies probably isn't terrible now. but in some of the bigger grounds in Australia it probably is.
edit: my favourite bit is definitely the Tunnock's adverts. 
Can definitely go too far in favour of the batting side, especially on smaller grounds. Some of those sixes looked huge but were 'only' 80odd metres, that is caught 5 metres inside the rope territory on most Aussie venues.

Watched the highlights from yesterday again earlier, some brilliant hitting from both teams.

(Cue the Hovis ad music) When I were a lad in the 1980s a team managing to score a run a ball for their innings was pretty much unthinkable, now if you only score 300 from 50 overs you'll be struggling in most games.

Windies tie up the ODI series at 2-2 with a comprehensive drubbing. England all out for 113 with a Gayle inspired Windies easily winning by 7 wickets.

Gayle smashed 77 from under 30 balls including 9 sixes. The guy is just ridiculous.

Windies tie up the ODI series at 2-2 with a comprehensive drubbing. England all out for 113 with a Gayle inspired Windies easily winning by 7 wickets.

Gayle smashed 77 from under 30 balls including 9 sixes. The guy is just ridiculous.

England should win the world cup, but today was another one of those performances that you just know they might throw in come the summer. They just don't seen to adapt quickly enough when they get on a tricky pitch, and it was groundhog day today as 8 batsmen fell to short balls. Being at home in the world cup they shouldn't really come up against a pitch like today's though.

And with 5 fours that means he only ran 66 yards for the other runs

Lazy git

It just re-occurred to me that Scotland should have punted the WI out of the World Cup. What an absolute shambles of a set up. You wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if they go deep yet they were a dodgy LBW and a rain shower away from going out before the tournament even starts.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

It just re-occurred to me that Scotland should have punted the WI out of the World Cup. What an absolute shambles of a set up. You wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if they go deep yet they were a dodgy LBW and a rain shower away from going out before the tournament even starts.

Yep. The ICC are a shambles.