The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I guess Afghanistan will be the Bertie moment for cricket in Scotland. Still according to Radio Scotland ,if team A wins against team C and we beat team L we may go through on the away goals rule,or something like that..

If Afghanistan and Canada both get beat then Scotland go through if they win their final game, or something like that. In short, Scotland are out.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't wait for the East of Scotland league season to start again this weekend and a chance to get away from the wife on a Saturday on a regular basis. Anyone else playing this weekend?

I'm meant to have my first game of the season on sat, but I've been struck down by manflu so we'll need to see if I make it or not.

On another note, interesting test side England have named today!

Hoho, I'm afraid you're only about the 100th person to have cracked that one in the last 2 days. From the looks of the weather I might not be missing much.

Apologies. Hopefully the weather will be okay this weekend and we see some cricketing action.

On another note, interesting test side England have named today!

No Vaughan or Bell. A very pleasant surprise indeed. Good to see Flower move away from the 'jobs for the boys' selection policy that has gone on for years.

I suppose the Vaughan decision isn't too much of a shock since he hasn't scored enough runs (barring an 80 the other day). He strikes me as a guy who inside is fed up with cricket yet doesn't want to admit it.

Bell on the otherhand has looked in decent nick for Warwickshire. Flower has perhaps thought that he's failed too many times to be put back in straight away. Hopefully this means that either Bopara or Shah are given a decent opportunity (ie a whole summer, not one test) to cement their place at no. 3.

No Vaughan or Bell. A very pleasant surprise indeed. Good to see Flower move away from the 'jobs for the boys' selection policy that has gone on for years.

I suppose the Vaughan decision isn't too much of a shock since he hasn't scored enough runs (barring an 80 the other day). He strikes me as a guy who inside is fed up with cricket yet doesn't want to admit it.

Bell on the otherhand has looked in decent nick for Warwickshire. Flower has perhaps thought that he's failed too many times to be put back in straight away. Hopefully this means that either Bopara or Shah are given a decent opportunity (ie a whole summer, not one test) to cement their place at no. 3.

Agree.Interesting to see how the summer pans out. Consistency is one thing but playing the best players is something a different kettle of fish.

I would be more worried at taking 20 wickets than getting runs.

I would be more worried at taking 20 wickets than getting runs.

Yip, that's it. England have enough batting strength to put in decent totals against the Aussies but can they skittle them out? Hmmm, i'm not sure. Anderson I think will have a fine summer and he should swinging the ball for fun in home conditions. Are there another 3 or 4 English bowler though who can step up to the mark though and share the load with Jimmy? I remain to be convinced although let's wait and see what the Windies tests show us.

Looks like England'll intend to play Broad & Swann at 7 & 8.

First Test - May 6-10, very early in the English summer to be playing a Test Match but I guess that's the way it got to be to fulfil contracts. Definitely a toss to win and insert the opposition.

Bell's the next generations Hick, only he's been well treated and had every opportunity to cement his place. I imagine he'll continue to score loads of runs for Warwickshire and against the weaker nations and to fail against the stronger sides.

I really don't know who's best for number 3,. Shah, who I really fancied to fill it for the summer, had a terrible winter. Whereas, Bopara I've never been a huge fan of but who's impressed me over the last 4-5 months. Still not sure he's got what it takes to do it against the Aussies though.

I've been off work with Man flu this week so got my first proper look at Onions in Durham's game against Somerset, can't really argue with that selection now :lol: He bowls full, fast(high 80's) and swings it (especially into left handers, which we'll face plenty of this summer).

Bresnan on the other had I reckon is not much more than a good county Fast Medium who can smash the ball for miles.

Looks like England'll intend to play Broad & Swann at 7 & 8.

First Test - May 6-10, very early in the English summer to be playing a Test Match but I guess that's the way it got to be to fulfil contracts. Definitely a toss to win and insert the opposition.

Agree,but i do hope we see results.The wickets will be more bowler friendly but Neither attack is settled or world class.

Agree,but i do hope we see results.The wickets will be more bowler friendly but Neither attack is settled or world class.

I understand what you're saying but this is Lords at the beginning of May. unless we lose a lot of time to bad weather I predict a finish in four days.

I understand what you're saying but this is Lords at the beginning of May. unless we lose a lot of time to bad weather I predict a finish in four days.

I would be very reluctant to buy a ticket for the 5th day in England.Just away to read an article in the Cricketer on trying to end the Snore Draw.Should be interesting.

Edited by capybara

Cook gone off the bowling of Edwards for 35. Inside edge onto his stumps, decent bowling but a softish dismissal.

KP in now...

Edited: KP gone 1st ball, an absolute beauty of a ball. Nicked to the wicket keeper

Edited by Cowden til i die