The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I understand that - I mentioned that same point about 10 posts ago. The difference is England were going from 5 front line bowlers to 4, not 4 to 3. West Indies might not need to win this match - but three front line bowlers! Nash, a man who's bowled less than 90 overs (and taken just 7 wickets) in first class cricket on in the 20th over. There's only so many times you can get away with giving away the initiative and I fear Port of Spain might be less of a featherbed thann the last two pitches.

It looks like they've (the West Indies) have gone to all out defence before lunch on the first day. :(

Gayle on at the other end! :(:(

I don't know what planet he's on. Nice guy, entertaining batsman, but shocking captain.

The West Indies have used six bowlers already.

England 546/6d (158.5 ov)

Around one hour for England to try & make some inroads to the West Indies - we'll have a good idea by the end of play today how the match is likely to finish and just how benign the pitch is.

West Indies 33/0 (8.0 ov)

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Amjad!

Starts with 2 no balls.

Stumps - Day 2

West Indies 92/1

If West Indies can get through the first hour without losing a major batsman then I think England will find it hard to win this Test.

Edited by btb

Well, today's the key day- we'll see whether England's 5 man attack can take wickets or whether WI will bat through and get the draw they need. I suspect the latter unless the pitch turns massively.

Wasn't at all impressed by Khan yesterday although his performance could probably be put down to nerves.

Australia are mullering SA, 417 ahead with 9 wickets in hand, 7 sessions left. Series win on the way barring a miraculous SA batting effort with only 10 players. Some turnaround from the series in Australia, the bowling has been excellent, Johnson's definitely outshone Steyn.

Khan's looked like a different bowler thus far, mixing up full reverse-swinging balls and well-directed bouncers, although he's still overstepping far too often. Think England need one more wicket before lunch to remain on target.

Anyone else think that Panesar got his due there with that stone-dead LBW being turned down because of his ridiculous over-appealing? Both him and Khan should find themselves in front of the match referee after the game.

England need a massive session after tea, it looks like Gayle definitely won't be available until tomorrow morning, so if they can roll WI in the session then it's game on. Most likely scenario is still very much the draw though, especially if WI get past the follow-on mark.

West Indies 349/4 - they avoid the follow on! :D

10 wickets in three days, if Gayle wasn't injured I'd say a draw was inevitable.

The pitches have been nothing short of a disgrace. And to be fair to England, only one team has been playing to win. It would be justice if England managed to win this test.

Guest Saint Geezer
The pitches have been nothing short of a disgrace. And to be fair to England, only one team has been playing to win. It would be justice if England managed to win this test.

As soon as they won the first test they have pretty much engineered it for a 1-0 series win which is criminal in my eyes.

Roll on the summer and some swing and variable bounce.

Yeah - my apologies, you called the pitch correctly on Day 1. The Australia vs SA Test is a much better game it's just a shame West Indies are my side.

Looking forward to the Ashes - I doubt if England will be as inept in the summer but the Aussies are looking a lot stronger playing fully fit bowlers and with Hughes opening in place of Hayden.

Sky will not be happy with the Borefest being dished up.

Hopefully they'll give some of the rights back to C4. English Cricket took a massive kick in the teeth from that.

Actually, it's the Barmy Army who I, for once, feel sorry for. I'm already saving up to go on the next tour of the West Indies and I'd be furious with the standard of cricket being put on.