The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Follow on avoided - currently 413/5

Sarwan 200 no :bounce4

128th over and Collingwood is brought on - Windies just need to sit tight until lunch & a draw will be the most likely outcome!

Lunch - Day 4

England 600/6d

West Indies 483/5 (138.0 ov)

West Indies trail by 117 runs with 5 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Edited by btb

only one team can win this now, and it ain't England. Wonder if WI will declare half an hour before the close and have a pop at them tonight, or just bat through?

I'd like to think the West Indies will declare and then let loose Fidel Edwards for some fun and games towards the end of the day. However, the West Indies could possibly get a lead in excess of 150 and then put some pressure on England tomorrow. As you said, any chance of an England victory has now gone.

David Lloyd said on Sky Sports that if England lost this, he'd bare his backside on Brecon Beacons.

They really shouldn't, but that's the sort of statement Lloyd used to come out with when he was England coach and could come back to bite him on the ...well... arse.

While it is good to see some big scores I'm not so happy with these flat flat tracks.

The game needs wickets that have a bit for everybody.Bowlers and batsman. And while i appreciate the home grounds man will(on the whole) do his best to accommodate the home team,i would have hoped for better wickets. Ironic that the best game was played on the football pitch of the Rec in Antigua.

Draw written all over it.

While it is good to see some big scores I'm not so happy with these flat flat tracks.

The game needs wickets that have a bit for everybody.Bowlers and batsman. And while i appreciate the home grounds man will(on the whole) do his best to accommodate the home team,i would have hoped for better wickets. Ironic that the best game was played on the football pitch of the Rec in Antigua.

Draw written all over it.

I agree. Surely there should be some sort of regulation where the pitches have to have something in them to give the bowlers a bit of encouragement? It makes for dire viewing otherwise. I would've fancied Ian Bell to maybe even have pushed on to a mighty 30 on that wicket :o

Maybe they should award the away team 0.5 of a test win for a draw!

They very certainly need to have a look at doing something, the Pakistan Sri Lanka series on at the moment seems total madness.

Teams shouldn't be scoring 500+ very often at all nevermind 6 and 700+ scores, it's dull as f**k to watch too.

Maybe they should award the away team 0.5 of a test win for a draw!

They very certainly need to have a look at doing something, the Pakistan Sri Lanka series on at the moment seems total madness.

Teams shouldn't be scoring 500+ very often at all nevermind 6 and 700+ scores, it's dull as f**k to watch too.

Agree.Everybody was talking about the Antigua test. If you have Wickets that do nothing,not even take much spin after 4/5 days,then in my view it is not a true test match.

We have had some cracking test matches in the last few years,but this alas ain't one of them.

Disagree - what sort of pitch would this England attack (or The Windies for that mater) have got 20 wickets on?

One with either some pace, bounch and carry or one that disintegrated a bit.

If they had held their catches the WIndies could have knocked England over for sub 300.

Edited by kullibino

I'll take your points in reverse order.

If they had held their catches the WIndies could have knocked England over for sub 300.

Exactly!

England - One with either some pace, bounch and carry or one that disintegrated a bit.

Trent Bridge, Old Trafford, Headingly. Anderson, Broad & Sidebottom (What a name for a Prog Supetrgroup B) ) are the sort of English bowlers who regularly get knocked all over the shop when playing overseas.

Slating the pitch is the easy option.

Exactly!

Whats that got to do with the Windies attack or the Pitch?

Trent Bridge, Old Trafford, Headingly. Anderson, Broad & Sidebottom (What a name for a Prog Supetrgroup B) ) are the sort of English bowlers who regularly get knocked all over the shop when playing overseas.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but as far as 750!

Anderson Averages 29 at home compared to 35 overall, Sidebottom averages 26 at home compared to 27 overall and Broad averages 46 at home compared to 41 overall so I can't really see where your coming from.

I don't think it was a very good England bowling attack but I don't think many sides would have taken 20 wickets on that pudding.

Exactly!

It is, but in this case, and in the 10 ball test, the pitches were not up to standard for international cricket. If there's anything in the next pitch at all, Harmison will get recalled and probably do a decent job.

Lots of selection issues for the next Test, can't remember the last time there were so many different players in contention - as well as the current eleven, Prior, Harmison, Monty, Amjad Khan and even Rashid will be in consideration (the last is unlikely but still possible if they're worried about weakening the batting by playing and extra bowler). There's only so much point in speculating before we hear anything about the pitch.

Pleased for Cook today.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but as far as 750!

Anderson Averages 29 at home compared to 35 overall, Sidebottom averages 26 at home compared to 27 overall and Broad averages 46 at home compared to 41 overall so I can't really see where your coming from.

I don't think it was a very good England bowling attack but I don't think many sides would have taken 20 wickets on that pudding.

For A,B&S I should have been more specific and said hot countries - if you take New Zealand out of the equation you'll see the difference.

For Anderson

in Australia Av 82.60

in England Av 29.80

in India Av 29.30

in New Zealand Av 35.37

in South Africa Av 74.50

in Sri Lanka Av 126.00

in West Indies Av 49.60

For Broad

in England Av 46.46

in India Av 67.00

in New Zealand Av 31.25

in Sri Lanka Av 95.00

in West Indies Av 32.33

For Sidebottom

in England Av 26.04

in New Zealand Av 17.08

in Sri Lanka Av 63.60

in West Indies Av 181

That was a poor England attack everybody knew this before the game yet somehow the fact they lived up to their dismal "hot country" form is being used for pet theories about "result" pitches.

You say you don't think many teams would have taken 20 wickets on this pitch yet in your previous post you said if the Windies had held onto their catches they could have bowled England out for less than 300. :blink: