The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Good recovery again after being 52-3, daft run out for Bell.

What can the ICC do to get over rates up? Even though there were 24 overs of spin in the day and they played an extra half hour, they were still 5 overs shy of the supposed 90 per day.

I don't really find slow over rates an issue when I'm at a test match. If I get a full day, I don't really mind how many overs are bowled. Unless one team is manifestly playing for a draw. And neither of these teams are, yet.

Good test. All three results still possible.

Dropping Balance would be a massive backward step.

I wouldn't want them to drop Ballance, but I don't think keeping Trott as an opening batsman is a good idea. I don't think they should move Ballance up the order either. Choice of persisting with Trott where he is or dropping either him or Ballance.

I wouldn't want them to drop Ballance, but I don't think keeping Trott as an opening batsman is a good idea. I don't think they should move Ballance up the order either. Choice of persisting with Trott where he is or dropping either him or Ballance.

I would drop Trott, personally.

I would drop Trott, personally.

I'm leaning that way, and I think this and New Zealand would be a good chance to trial Lyth and get Ballance more test experience. On the other hand Trott is a proven test batsman and I can see the selectors wanting to give him a decent chance prior to the Ashes to see if he can recapture his old form. I'm not sure if they will want to drop him after just one test.

I think Ballance has made his case. He's the number three.

Trott ... Thanks but no thanks. Rest of the tour for old time's sake, but I'd not include him for New Zealand.

I wish Root could open again; him opening and Ali in at five has a nice balance, excuse the pun.

I wish Root could open again; him opening and Ali in at five has a nice balance, excuse the pun.

I was actually thinking the opposite, Root seems to have excelled at 5, I wanted to see if Ali could open at Test level and keep Stokes in the sort of all rounder position at 6.

I was actually thinking the opposite, Root seems to have excelled at 5, I wanted to see if Ali could open at Test level and keep Stokes in the sort of all rounder position at 6.

Can you really have our number one spinner opening the batting? I think he's better than Tredwell.

England lead by 328 at lunch. Getting close to decision time now, do they come out and go mental for an hour and try and get runs quickly, or do they keep going slow and steady and see where it gets them by tea? Surely they must give themselves 4 sessions to try and win the match?

Can you really have our number one spinner opening the batting? I think he's better than Tredwell.

Me too, I was hoping they would have given Rachid a run out on this test.

I wouldn't see the harm in tinkering there, he isn't a strike bowler and Dilshan used to bowl a quite a few overs before opening the batting so it may be worth a chance.

4th century in 9 tests. He should stay where he is.

I wouldn't want to move Root either. He's the perfect batsman for his position, gets the runs ticking over and putting him up the order previously didn't help.

Maybe give Trott another chance opening, but the argument for having him replace Ballance isn't great. Would like to see Lyth given a chance though. Either drop Trott for Lyth or keep the top 5 as they are.