The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Apropos of nothing, Shane Warne really is an outstanding commentator. Full of insight. Unlike Charles Dagnall or Henry Blowfeld.

Edit: Currently talking about the mindset of a bowler on debut who is getting smacked all over the place.

What's wrong with Henry Blofeld? He's one of the things that makes TMS so good and unique. Cricket commentary does generally seem considerably better than commentary for any other major sport though. With the exception of Ian Botham there is no one I can really think of on either Sky or TMS who I dislike.

As for Warne I think he is a good commentator, and I like the 'analysis' pieces he does, but often his articles are sensationalist 'click bait' affairs IMO.

What's wrong with Henry Blofeld? He's one of the things that makes TMS so good and unique. Cricket commentary does generally seem considerably better than commentary for any other major sport though. With the exception of Ian Botham there is no one I can really think of on either Sky or TMS who I dislike.

As for Warne I think he is a good commentator, and I like the 'analysis' pieces he does, but often his articles are sensationalist 'click bait' affairs IMO.

I've seen tests in which Blowers has called Kevin Pietersen "Jimmy Anderson" for an entire day. I just value insight and accuracy. I agree with what you say about TMS and cricket commentators though. Generally a very high standard, and of those who I don't like, it's generally just a personal preference. You don't get too many of them talking complete bollocks for a living, a la Billy Dodds.

Looking good today England should be looking to get them out for around 300 then enforce the follow on.

There's no point in enforcing the follow on unless they are out tonight. The England bowlers will want to put their feet up, and if England can put a couple of hundred, it'll leave India chasing 500 odd. As bad as England were in the last test, they've played very well today.

India all out for 330 still behind by 239.

James Anderson gets 5 wickets.

England will bat again.

b*****ds. I'm with Geoffrey Boycott on this - get them back in (the fact I have a wee bet on an England win has nothing to do with my current seethe). Every time there's an over that gets less than 2 runs I'll be frothing at the mouth. Get Buttler up the order you muppets!

I think Cook's made the right call there.

Was a long hot day for the bowlers yesterday, and to ask them to bowl at opening batsman again this morning was a bit much.

He just needs to get the timing of the declaration right now.

I agree they probably should've put them in again, but it's a hard thing to do if you don't have the backing of your senior bowlers.

Any later than tea though is madness. Got to give yourself four sessions imo.

This will be interesting to see if Cook is proactive and forces the game.

I'd put Bell and Butler up the order and really attack the bowing. Get them demoralised and scrambled before they go back in. Should be looking for 3.5/4 an over at least.

Robson gone in his usual fashion, great ball though.

I think Cook's made the right call there.

Was a long hot day for the bowlers yesterday, and to ask them to bowl at opening batsman again this morning was a bit much.

He just needs to get the timing of the declaration right now.

Agreed. Remember though that the declaration has to give India a chance of reaching their target, otherwise they'll just defend for four sessions. I'd imagine a lead of 400 might be about right.

I agree they probably should've put them in again, but it's a hard thing to do if you don't have the backing of your senior bowlers.

Stuart Broad was on TMS last night saying he'd bat if he was captain. I think Cook has the backing of his bowlers. Also, you want to allow Jordan a bit of time to clear his head, I'd suggest.

This will be interesting to see if Cook is proactive and forces the game.

I'd put Bell and Butler up the order and really attack the bowing. Get them demoralised and scrambled before they go back in. Should be looking for 3.5/4 an over at least.

Robson gone in his usual fashion, great ball though.

They're certainly smacking a few boundaries here. England playing terrific cricket, for once.

I'm not sure Robson could have done much about that - probably the best ball India have bowled all series. That said, I'm not convinced about him. Not sure who'd be next in line - Carberry seems to have burned his bridges with his sulking.

Edit; from what I've seen, I'd suggest Trott and Prior have hit their last boundaries for England. Ballance and Buttler look pretty solid replacements; if anything slight improvements. Ballance in particular looks as if he could have quite a career ahead.

Edited by Savage Henry

Michael Vaughan has made the point quite a few times on TMS - that the senior bowlers need taken down a peg. Not easy to do because they're both exceptional bowlers but for what its worth I think they have too much power in the England team. Cook is certainly not the captain to rock the boat in that sense.

The fact that the other two seamers have been bang average this test only gives them more power.