The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Time to drop Prior and drop Cook down the order. Prior is not good enough to justify his place as a wicket keeper and Cook needs a rest before batting. Good to see Plunkett getting some success as there is a habit of writing someone off if they do not make it young. There are lots of older pros in the counties who may not have been test level at 24 but sure as hell now are better than some of those in the squad (Chris Read for example)

Time to drop Prior and drop Cook down the order. Prior is not good enough to justify his place as a wicket keeper and Cook needs a rest before batting. Good to see Plunkett getting some success as there is a habit of writing someone off if they do not make it young. There are lots of older pros in the counties who may not have been test level at 24 but sure as hell now are better than some of those in the squad (Chris Read for example)

Problem there is you either have to promote someone from within to open or bring in a wicketkeeper-batsman good enough to open. Neither option seems particularly viable.

Btw, I'm not disagreeing. Prior has been poor with the bat and unreliable with the gloves. Cook probably needs dropped to go back to his county for a while, but they don't have another championship match until the week of the 5th test.

Don't think moving Cook would be any or much use.

I see Ravi Shastri, Nasser and Geoffrey are all agreeing with me that he needs to give up the captaincy in order to save and prolong his batting career.

Don't think moving Cook would be any or much use.

I see Ravi Shastri, Nasser and Geoffrey are all agreeing with me that he needs to give up the captaincy in order to save and prolong his batting career.

I also agree with this. It's highly unlikely that they will take the captaincy off of him due to their being no obvious replacement, but he should resign and make them make a decision (I'd give it to Jimmy).

Nobody in the current team jumps up and says "captain" to me. But Cook has to find form in this next innings or go\change position in the order. Permachange was the bug bear of England in the 90s, permaconsitancy has become the same thing in the 2010s.

Plunkett reminds everyone that in English conditions the counties are full of old lags who can step up and fill a role (a la Martin Bicknell). Either drop Prior for youth and mix up the batting line up or drop Prior and Cook to bring in some old hands to take command of the series.

What is happening now is lassitude and drift.

Plunkett's a bit of a nothing bowler. I'm also not having that Cook should be batting down the order. He's a big score away from everything being bright and rosy. The other thing I'm not having is Chris Read being better than Prior.

Wicketkeeper is a long term project. Read is in his mid 30s and isn't very good. Buttler is the replacement-in-waiting, but he's injured. I'm sure he'll get a game before they head off to South Africa... Although I see no evidence that Moores is capable of that kind of forward thinking.

Edit; this has always been a transition period though. England's inconsistency is to be expected. Dropping their best batsman and best wicketkeeper isn't going to help unless you are bringing in their long term replacement. To that end Jos Buttler is your most likely new face, when he gets fit.

Edited by Savage Henry

India lead by 243 at lunch with 3 wickets in hand, an exciting finish in prospect. England's achilles heel this year has been their inability to finish off the opposition's tail, so they will be hoping they can pik up these last 3 wickets relatively cheaply and quickly.

I'd be astounded if England made 250 here, never mind win it. The senior batsman Cook Prior and Bell are in terrible form, they're relying on the youngsters Ballance and Robson to make runs.

Can't see it though, Sharma and Kumar have got this.

The bookies make England slight favourites which is interesting. History not on their side but it's not an impossible task....

Who with? Skybet had India 10/11 and England even money before the English innings started.