The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England should have bowled India out more cheaply on that pitch (they're still not all out yet).

Prior wasn't great either.

Bit harsh on Prior - he saved a fair few runs off some pretty wild bowling.

A few of the commentators were taking about his movement, saying he struggles a bit to his right since his injuries. That would be supported by the 4 or 5 flying catches he took to his left against the drop to his right.

Not sure if that is actually the tactic that's supposed to be getting used or if Cook simply doesn't have the balls to tell the bowlers to change when they aren't following instructions. Thought it was telling that they changed tactics after lunch, possibly when Moores had the chance to have a word with the bowlers?

Possibly, the thing is, Cook has not captained at any level prior to be handed the Test captaincy. This should really have been addressed when Strauss went and maybe chose elsewhere.

I can't really see Jimmy and Broad prefering to bowl short to be honest.

I've tried to give him a chance but it is now looking like Cook is up there with Francesco Schettino in captaincy skills.

England couldn't have picked that pitch out of a catalogue and they were still banging it in halfway down, he needed to have a word. Then treating Shami like he's Tendulkar.

The thing is, the bowling coach and Peter Moores will have more to do with that than Cook. Cook seems to be the scapegoat for pretty piss poor instructions from on high. I don't see Moores staying past the South Africa series.

Bumble's on good form this morning... singing The Green Green Grass of Home to a bewildered Sourav Ganguly might be the highlight of the test match so far. And unlike Henry Blowfeld, he somehow managed to make the non sequitur fit into cricket.

Bit harsh on Prior - he saved a fair few runs off some pretty wild bowling.

A few of the commentators were taking about his movement, saying he struggles a bit to his right since his injuries. That would be supported by the 4 or 5 flying catches he took to his left against the drop to his right.

He's dropped more than one recently. If there's still a question about his fitness I wonder if he should be playing.

He's dropped more than one recently. If there's still a question about his fitness I wonder if he should be playing.

Suspect you are right. But Cook and Moores have both said that Buttler isn't ready - and I think he might be injured as well - so there isn't much of an alternative.

Suspect you are right. But Cook and Moores have both said that Buttler isn't ready - and I think he might be injured as well - so there isn't much of an alternative.

I think there are experienced keepers who could be brought in such as Chris Read.

Anyway, Cook gone for 10.

Edited by Bearwithme

Cook gone nibbling.

Something morbidly inevitable about his time at the crease now. How much longer can that last?

I'm beginning to agree with you. His confidence is clearly shot to pieces - but you could say that about half the team, I suppose. Cook's still England's best batter by quite a margin.

I'm beginning to agree with you. His confidence is clearly shot to pieces - but you could say that about half the team, I suppose. Cook's still England's best batter by quite a margin.

Bell?

Agreed though, would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they got rid of everyone underperforming at the moment.

I know there's not many, if any, strong candidates for both his roles, but is that reason enough to allow the current malaise to continue? Complete pickler for the coaches and ECB, personally I think he should give up the captaincy in order to sort his batting out. Would throw in the one day game as well or at least T20's.

Bell?

Agreed though, would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they got rid of everyone underperforming at the moment.

I know there's not many, if any, strong candidates for both his roles, but is that reason enough to allow the current malaise to continue? Complete pickler for the coaches and ECB, personally I think he should give up the captaincy in order to sort his batting out. Would throw in the one day game as well or at least T20's.

Bell, presumably, or Broad, would be the captain-in-waiting?

Yeah, he made a cock-up about 15 years ago. :)

James Foster is another candidate.

Anyway Robson has gone cheaply as well.

The point is, both of those guys had chances years ago and were somewhat out of their depth. Davies might be the best bet, in lieu of the healthy first choice. I don't see what would be gained by playing 35 year olds for one test.

The point is, both of those guys had chances years ago and were somewhat out of their depth. Davies might be the best bet, in lieu of the healthy first choice. I don't see what would be gained by playing 35 year olds for one test.

Maybe Davies could open the batting as well. ;)

Anyway Prior's position has to be looked at and an experienced keeper might be a good short-term option, though I wouldn't rule out a bit younger guy like Davies or Buttler.

England resume after lunch on 51-2.

Maybe Davies could open the batting as well. ;)

Anyway Prior's position has to be looked at and an experienced keeper might be a good short-term option, though I wouldn't rule out a bit younger guy like Davies or Buttler.

England resume after lunch on 51-2.

It's a transitional period, isn't it? England would do well to either call Prior's time now and go with his replacement, or stick with him.