The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Former England player Chris Lewis arrested on drugs charges.

Should have gone down the Test Match Special summariser route instead.

Not the first time he has had trouble with the white line then.

The England team is in for the first test tomorrow:

England: Kevin Pietersen (captain), Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.

Owais Shah must be wondering what he has to do to get a game amongst that shower of a top order.

England: Kevin Pietersen (captain), Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.

Owais Shah must be wondering what he has to do to get a game amongst that shower of a top order.

Really? I can't see who you'd drop for him, to be honest.

I think the number 8 position is a bit ropey. Broad can handle a bat well enough, and before that Ashley Giles had an average in the mid twenties, I hope Mr Swan can bat.

Agree,interesting to see how Swann does,turning wicket i hear.

Really? I can't see who you'd drop for him, to be honest.

I think the number 8 position is a bit ropey. Broad can handle a bat well enough, and before that Ashley Giles had an average in the mid twenties, I hope Mr Swan can bat.

To be honest it seems that long since England last played a test that i've forgotten how the batsmen got on :ph34r: . I'm certain though that we'll see Strauss and Cook scratch around for a 30 odd then give their wicket up cheaply. Can Bell open the batting? If so i'd drop Strauss, move Bell up to opening, KP to 3rd and Shah in at 4.

I predict that India will bat, score 550+, declare, then bowl England out for sub 250 then bowl them out again cheaply in the follow on.

150 odd for 1 not a bad start considering.Not much in the wicket so far,contrary to my last post. But by all accounts a good toss to win. At least they are not batting last.

Jim on Radio 5 live sports extra(dab) Radio 4 long wave.

I'd definatly have had Shah in for PC, however it looks like he was hard done by.

Incidently Swann is at least as good a bat as Broad from what I've seen of him in the past, no idea how he'll bat in Indian conditions though, but he's more than handy at number 8, it's 9, 10 and jack that would worry me.

EDIT-Swanna has a better FC average than both Giles and Broad, albeit only by 1 and 2 respectively.

Edited by kullibino

Probably about 65-35 in India's favour at the moment, England need a big score from one (or probably both) of Flintoff an Prior to swing it back their way.

Collingwood looked like a man batting with a long balloon although the decision he got was awful- speaking of which...

Kiwi batsman Daniel Flynn became the first man to be given out in a Test under the referral system. He survived an appeal for lbw from Chris Gayle on 95 as the onfield umpire believed he was hit outside the line of off stump, but the Windies captain referred it to the 3rd umpire who was able to use HawkEye to show he was hit in line (he's not allowed to use the predictive bit of HawkEye though) and off he went.

Was a close decision, we're talking millimetres inside the line. Whereas Collingwood missed one by about 6 inches - which, to be fair was pretty good for him- and Bowden adjudged him caught off the glove. He would have been able to refer that under the system being trialled in NZ and would have stayed in (for about another 3 balls, most likely). I would really like to see them adopt it.

In the interests of fairness, Anderson got one first ball which was both plumb lbw and caught pad-bat, presumably the umpire thought they cancelled each other out.

I'd definatly have had Shah in for PC, however it looks like he was hard done by.

Incidently Swann is at least as good a bat as Broad from what I've seen of him in the past, no idea how he'll bat in Indian conditions though, but he's more than handy at number 8, it's 9, 10 and jack that would worry me.

EDIT-Swanna has a better FC average than both Giles and Broad, albeit only by 1 and 2 respectively.

Excellent. I tend to think one of the main problems England have had since the Ashes victory has been a failure to replace Ashley Giles' bat.