bewlay

The Cricket Thread

Agree with Aggers view here that Ahmed may get called up.

If as suspected the next few pitches are Bunsen Burners then the Aussies will in effect be turning up to a Gun Fight with a set of knives.

Ashes 2013: Australia need quality spinner to test England

If Australia are to have any chance of clawing their way back from 2-0 down in this one-sided Ashes series they must find a wicket-taking spinner.

The pitches for the final three Tests at Old Trafford, Durham and The Oval will be just as dry as the ones at Trent Bridge and Lord's so Australia simply cannot keep on going as they are.

It always seems to be the case that bowlers get blamed for the failings of the batsmen, but they are simply being outgunned by England, with the difference in quality between the spin bowlers particularly striking.

While Graeme Swann's figures for the series are currently 13-287 at a strike rate of 53, young Ashton Agar has managed 2-248 and takes a wicket every 252 balls.

Swann asks a question with every ball and is very difficult to get away for runs, whereas Agar has been inconsistent and unable to exert any control over England's batsmen.

Agar is very young and his time will come, but you simply cannot afford to carry a spinner in a side as poor as this.

Given the 19-year-old's struggles, I feel Australia must now call up Pakistan-born leg-spinner Fawad Ahmedfrom the A tour in Zimbabwe.

When Mickey Arthur was still coach he was asked whether he thought Ahmed would play a part in the Ashes, and he replied in the affirmative, so Ahmed is clearly part of their plans.

He has played one game in Harare, and came away with eight wickets, which suggests he is in decent form.

Steve Smith's three wickets in the first innings at Lord's exposed England's long-standing weakness against wrist spin and, while it is impossible to predict how Ahmed will fare in the Ashes, it is a gamble Australia are going to have to take.

They may even consider playing both Ahmed and off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who has been Australia's most successful Test spinner since Shane Warne.

Something simply has to change because this is getting serious for Australia. The worry for the tourists is not just this Ashes series but also the return one down under. They must try to think of strategies that can knock England off their stride.

When it comes to this winter's series, I would not be surprised if they choose to produce juicy green-tops and try to unsettle England with their pace attack. They simply won't beat them by playing any other way.

I certainly don't feel sorry for Australia - not for a minute. These things happen and I have seen England suffer more than enough over the years and experienced the agonising that goes on when you try to work out how to put it right.

But England have put it right. They have modelled their academy on the Australian system, brought in central contracts to tie down their best players and invested heavily in coaching.

The boot is now firmly on the other foot. Australia are the team in need of an overhaul - and it may be some time before they reap the rewards.

Edited by AberdeenBud

I agree that the Aussies have been shite so far but one thing is almost certain, you can never rule them out.

It's clear that individually they have talent and are struggling to work as a team but if it all clicks then they will have a chance.

Decision making is key in the next test. I'm hoping for an Aus win just make the series more interesting and prolong the entertainment.

Australia fast bowler James Pattinson is ruled out for the rest of the series with stress fracture of the lower back.

Anyone know of any pubs near the centre of Glasgow that will be showing the 3rd Test?

Will be going to the Celtic v County game on the Saturday and will have a few hours drinking time to kill before the 17.15 KO :thumsup2

I was out in town on the Saturday of the 1st test and both The Hall on Sauchiehall St and the Old Schoolhouse on Woodlands Rd were showing it (without me asking for it!)- neither are right in the centre of town but I'd guess there might be a few places. Although if the football season has started it might be a different story.

The Aussies will probably see who bowls quite well in the county match vs Sussex- I think Bird.and Faulkner will come into the equation as well as Starc.

Pattinson being fucked sort of puts Englands decision not to put them back in to bat in a different light. I reckon they might have been expecting to kill Harris, but Pattinson breaking down is a bonus for them as Harris will fall apart in due course too.

When you see the workload Australias bowlers have had compared to Englands in this test as well, its no wonder. A shame for Pattinson as he eventually bowled a good line for a couple of sessions in Englands second innings and was quick on a wicket offering him f**k all. Fast bowlers need to be handled very carefully indeed. He won't be the first, or the last unfortunately, especially wit the amount of cricket these guys are being made to play.

What's Mitchell Johnson up to? Any chance of getting a bit of comedy bowling (and some randomly dangerous stuff) out him in this series?

Just checking the stats, Pattinson has their top batting average too. <_<

I was surprised Warne announced his retirement today, was half expecting him to offer to play test cricket again.

Johnston had a reasonable Australian summer with the ball ( for him) but he is so inconsistent these days and has been bowling like a drain when up against decent opposition

I was surprised Warne announced his retirement today, was half expecting him to offer to play test cricket again.

Johnston had a reasonable Australian summer with the ball ( for him) but he is so inconsistent these days and has been bowling like a drain when up against decent opposition

I think Warne was probably distancing himself from the shambles. Johnston can be very decewnt on his day, but he isn't consistent and it would be a bit of a pick and hope job. He isn't the sort of bloke you can rely on to bowl dry if nothings happening for him. He is a wicketless bowling centurion on his bad days. Australia are reasonably well off in the seamer department anyway and they seem to be chatting about going with two spinners for OT which is known to turn anyway. Lyon will play the county game this week and will likely be in the side for OT and I suppose it depends on Agars fitness whether they stick with him or bring in that Fawad kid they have been rushing to give a passport to. Lyon has a good test record and I'm surprised they didn't go with him. I suppose Agars efforts in the first test justified that, but he doesn't look much like a test bowler yet.

Clarke made the same point in his post match conference. His batters haven't given the bowlers the luxury of a full day off with their feet up yet, AND they've been put in a position where they have to contribute more than just bonus runs with the bat as well.

Nothing better as a bowler after a long day in the field than a whole day sitting on the balcony watching your mate's flay the opposition.

Sent from my C5303 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

It's clear that individually they have talent .

I don't think that's clear at all. I think it's a team really lacking in talent.

I don't think that's clear at all. I think it's a team really lacking in talent.

Agreed. If you look at this Aussie team compared to ten years ago then only Michael Clarke would feature. This is the worst Aussie outfit I can remember and I love it.

The Aussies are feeling the backlash now of the rise of 20/20.There are to many ordinary batsmen who can go out swinging and make scores but ask them to get the head down and knock the shine of a ball and bat session to session and they are lost.The ECB get a lot of criticism for their stance on the IPL but they still have a successful test side who sell out grounds all summer.

The Aussies are feeling the backlash now of the rise of 20/20.There are to many ordinary batsmen who can go out swinging and make scores but ask them to get the head down and knock the shine of a ball and bat session to session and they are lost.

I think you are right. Indeed, one of the Cricinfo emails during the first test was an Aussie praising Chris Rogers for digging in (for about 98 balls),

Another pointed out that digging in in test match cricket used to be surviving 3 sessions. Now making it past 2 hours is seen as a marathon

Adam Voges is currently scoring a barrell loading runs in County cricket also. Definitely a better bat than Hughes.

Sent from my C5303 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Hughes scored a barrell load for both Middlesex and Worcs, it means nothing.

Aside from the possible injury to Kevin Pietersen would any of the blokes who follow cricket suggest any England changes? How does the Old Trafford pitch (usually) compare to Lord's, which clearly suited England?

It'll probbly spin, I think unless KP is unfit england will be unchanged. If not Taylor will come in. No real need for a second spinner as Root is handy enough.

I see Warner hit a 193 for Australia A.

Whether or not we see him in England anytime soon is a different matter.

If the top order had at least shown some fight (no pun intended) then I'd say there was no chance of Warner coming back.

I guess it'll depend on how the Aussie fare against Sussex

I see Warner hit a 193 for Australia A.

Whether or not we see him in England anytime soon is a different matter.

If the top order had at least shown some fight (no pun intended) then I'd say there was no chance of Warner coming back.

I guess it'll depend on how the Aussie fare against Sussex

He'll be back in now, it's just a matter of who for.