The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just checking the stats, Pattinson has their top batting average too. <_<

I was surprised Warne announced his retirement today, was half expecting him to offer to play test cricket again.

Johnston had a reasonable Australian summer with the ball ( for him) but he is so inconsistent these days and has been bowling like a drain when up against decent opposition

I was surprised Warne announced his retirement today, was half expecting him to offer to play test cricket again.

Johnston had a reasonable Australian summer with the ball ( for him) but he is so inconsistent these days and has been bowling like a drain when up against decent opposition

I think Warne was probably distancing himself from the shambles. Johnston can be very decewnt on his day, but he isn't consistent and it would be a bit of a pick and hope job. He isn't the sort of bloke you can rely on to bowl dry if nothings happening for him. He is a wicketless bowling centurion on his bad days. Australia are reasonably well off in the seamer department anyway and they seem to be chatting about going with two spinners for OT which is known to turn anyway. Lyon will play the county game this week and will likely be in the side for OT and I suppose it depends on Agars fitness whether they stick with him or bring in that Fawad kid they have been rushing to give a passport to. Lyon has a good test record and I'm surprised they didn't go with him. I suppose Agars efforts in the first test justified that, but he doesn't look much like a test bowler yet.

Clarke made the same point in his post match conference. His batters haven't given the bowlers the luxury of a full day off with their feet up yet, AND they've been put in a position where they have to contribute more than just bonus runs with the bat as well.

Nothing better as a bowler after a long day in the field than a whole day sitting on the balcony watching your mate's flay the opposition.

Sent from my C5303 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The Aussies are feeling the backlash now of the rise of 20/20.There are to many ordinary batsmen who can go out swinging and make scores but ask them to get the head down and knock the shine of a ball and bat session to session and they are lost.The ECB get a lot of criticism for their stance on the IPL but they still have a successful test side who sell out grounds all summer.

The Aussies are feeling the backlash now of the rise of 20/20.There are to many ordinary batsmen who can go out swinging and make scores but ask them to get the head down and knock the shine of a ball and bat session to session and they are lost.

I think you are right. Indeed, one of the Cricinfo emails during the first test was an Aussie praising Chris Rogers for digging in (for about 98 balls),

Another pointed out that digging in in test match cricket used to be surviving 3 sessions. Now making it past 2 hours is seen as a marathon

Adam Voges is currently scoring a barrell loading runs in County cricket also. Definitely a better bat than Hughes.

Sent from my C5303 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Hughes scored a barrell load for both Middlesex and Worcs, it means nothing.

Aside from the possible injury to Kevin Pietersen would any of the blokes who follow cricket suggest any England changes? How does the Old Trafford pitch (usually) compare to Lord's, which clearly suited England?

It'll probbly spin, I think unless KP is unfit england will be unchanged. If not Taylor will come in. No real need for a second spinner as Root is handy enough.

I see Warner hit a 193 for Australia A.

Whether or not we see him in England anytime soon is a different matter.

If the top order had at least shown some fight (no pun intended) then I'd say there was no chance of Warner coming back.

I guess it'll depend on how the Aussie fare against Sussex

I see Warner hit a 193 for Australia A.

Whether or not we see him in England anytime soon is a different matter.

If the top order had at least shown some fight (no pun intended) then I'd say there was no chance of Warner coming back.

I guess it'll depend on how the Aussie fare against Sussex

He'll be back in now, it's just a matter of who for.

He'll be back in now, it's just a matter of who for.

Suppose it depends how the tour match goes.

My guess at this stage

Watson (ok he's been poor, but at least he's made starts)

Warner

Khawaja (decent 2nd knock at Lords, worry about the lefty facing Swann though)

Cowan (Thought he was a bit unfairly dropped after TB)

Clarke (but should he bat higher than 5? I think so)

Smith (only because of the spinning pitch, and picking a batsman because he can bowl is an awful tactic admittedly)

Haddin

Siddle (Played very well in spells)

Starc (in for the Pattinson injury)

Lyon (Agar just is not ready yet)

Harris (If his body can hold up then he's a cert for me)

Even then this team will probably lose...

Suppose it depends how the tour match goes.

My guess at this stage

Watson (ok he's been poor, but at least he's made starts)

Warner

Khawaja (decent 2nd knock at Lords, worry about the lefty facing Swann though)

Cowan (Thought he was a bit unfairly dropped after TB)

Clarke (but should he bat higher than 5? I think so)

Smith (only because of the spinning pitch, and picking a batsman because he can bowl is an awful tactic admittedly)

Haddin

Siddle (Played very well in spells)

Starc (in for the Pattinson injury)

Lyon (Agar just is not ready yet)

Harris (If his body can hold up then he's a cert for me)

Even then this team will probably lose...

I reckon it will be Faulkener for Starc.

West Indies v Pakistan T20 on sky sports 4 is great entertainment. Pakistan are 77-4 after just over 8 overs chasing 153 on a very slow pitch.

As much as I have tried I just cannot get into 20/20. For a traditionalist for me nothing beats five hard days of test match cricket, followed by some distance by a decent ODI.

For me 20/20 is the Tennents sixes of cricket. It's enjoyable but it's not the real thing.

As much as I have tried I just cannot get into 20/20. For a traditionalist for me nothing beats five hard days of test match cricket, followed by some distance by a decent ODI.

For me 20/20 is the Tennents sixes of cricket. It's enjoyable but it's not the real thing.

I agree. Test cricket is the proper game, but as you say T20 is good entertainment. Always good to see the batsmen hitting big shots.