The Cricket Thread

bewlay

been out all afternoon and no surprise that its all over today, as I said earlier today. I've got about £1500 burning a hole in my pocket. Should I put on Australia to win this series 3-2??

only once in the history of cricket has a team come from 2-0 down to win a series, that was in 1934.

It's weird how it's gone for Australia- when McGrath and Warne retired I thought they'd still be one of the better teams as they just had a conveyor belt of batsmen however they'd not be as ridiculously good with the ball.

Yet now they actually have a semi-decent seam attack but the top order looks utterly hopeless against the moving ball. Or the spinning ball. I have no idea what's happened to that conveyor belt. Guys like Brad Hodge and Stuart Law must be raging they weren't born 10-15 years later. I'm sure they'll come good again in 4-5 years but it's remarkable how it's happened.

In the 4 innings in this series Australia have been 117/9, 211/8, 104/9 and 162/8 before the fact they're playing 4 bowlers who can bat has bailed them out a bit. If they win the toss in the next Test and bat they'd be as well sticking Pattinson etc. at the top of the order so they're well rested when they come to bowl. ;)

Although I wonder if it's worth them binning Watson if everyone hates him as much as is being made out- he seems to be good for a quick 20-30 then out lbw.

No point in England risking KP if he's not fit, Taylor in- straight swap.

No doubt that was a skelping but Trent Bridge was a good contest.

If England do win 5 0 I at least hope we get closer games.

I hope the Aussies win the toss at OT and at least get the chance to post a decent first innings. Bat long and not just chase wide ones a la Hughes and plant the front for and play around it, getting pinned lbw a la Watson.

They have a tour game coming up so they'll get a chance to look at their order. Smith to me is a batsman. Taking wickets shouldn't earn him a spot. Agar is a bowler, that 98 at TB shouldn't factor in his selection either.

They remind me so much of England in the bad old days of the nineties.

Surely the likes of Katich and North would be better bets than some of them guys or have they retired?

Anyways it works in cycles. When England were honking everyone wanted to copy the blueprint of shield cricket in Australia and now the Aussies fingers are hovering over the panic button.

They were discussing Simon Katich earlier this morning on Sky. I agree he is a good option to open. I mean Rogers is 35 so arguing SK is too old doesn't hold. Incidentally I'd probably dump/demote Watto, depending if he can play at six? He's played there before but never seemed to settle

I like their seam attack, I'd have Lyon over Agar as the spinner though.

Katich is totally persona non grata with the Aussie selectors, story here and didn't do that well last time over here anyway.

There is talk of bringing Fawad Ahmed, the leggie whose citizenship they fast-tracked, from their A tour to the main tour.

edit: that's not the issue really, Lyon should probably get a game. The batsmen on that A tour don't look great either.

Edited by Fuctifano

there are several changes for the better for aus:

katich

rogers

kawaja

clarke

hughes

watson

haddin or a better keeper and stuff the runs he has made so far

pattison

siddle

harris

lyon

but they wont and Eng will win in third gear. There is talk of a leggie coming from their a tour of zim.

even if they picked that team above eng will still win but they might have to avoid so many errors to do so.

aus have no reserves to call on at the mo and that makes ot hard to see how any changes will change the result. clarke must know how athers used to feel.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Katich is totally persona non grata with the Aussie selectors, story here and didn't do that well last time over here anyway.

There is talk of bringing Fawad Ahmed, the leggie whose citizenship they fast-tracked, from their A tour to the main tour. 

edit: that's not the issue really, Lyon should probably get a game. The batsmen on that A tour don't look great either.

Adam Voges is currently scoring a barrell loading runs in County cricket also. Definitely a better bat than Hughes.

Sent from my C5303 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Aside from the possible injury to Kevin Pietersen would any of the blokes who follow cricket suggest any England changes?  How does the Old Trafford pitch (usually) compare to Lord's, which clearly suited England?

OT is normally helpful for spinners T_K, Shane Warne had a great record there.

Given the hot, dry summer I can only imagine it will be turning square by the 3rd day. This will suit England given their strength in this area.

I would stick to the old don't change a winning team maxim.

Aside from the possible injury to Kevin Pietersen would any of the blokes who follow cricket suggest any England changes? How does the Old Trafford pitch (usually) compare to Lord's, which clearly suited England?

James Taylor into the middle order. Had a tough baptism against SA last year and due another shot.

Other than that no changes.

The pitch should favour spin, although traditionally it was beneficial for real pace bowling.

Voges is a great shout, totally forgot about him.

As far as changes for England go i'm not a Bairstow fan and i'd move Prior up to six and get another spinner in. But I won't be getting my hopes up.

Cheers, really like him as bat. Took one of the best catches I've ever seen as well, will link it later.

No need for England to weaken the batting and they do tend to be conservative in selection, especially with Root turning his arm successfully.

Agree with you on Bairstow, would like to see Taylor given another shot instead.

I agree, same side for England. Think bresnan did enough to keep his place over Finn.

Given how well Root has bowled so far I can't see them bringing in Monty.

KP might get a twirl too if he's fit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Edited by WullieBroonIsGod

since Flintoff chucked it in 2009, England have only played Prior at #6 and five bowlers occasionally in Tests - all in the sub continent and normally with Samit Patel at #7 as 2nd spinner, but he's probably more of a batsman who bowls. Root seems to be a perfectly capable 5th choice bowler as well so the current balance of the team is pretty much nailed on. Taylor will come in for KP if there's a doubt but I think KP will play.

As an aside, I've just read about the tweets that were supposedly from Dave Warner's brother where he a) slagged off Shane Watson and b) said that ex-coach Mickey Arthur had been made (and I quote) "an escape goat". :lol:

BPsVsBsCYAEBM0V.jpg

Edited by Fuctifano