The Cricket Thread

bewlay

More than half of the ball has to hit the wicket. The Broad decision was just clipping, and hawkeye has a margin of error.

In these cases it's the umpires call.

Interestingly if the umpire had given that out, and Sustrslia reviewed, the decision would have stood and been out.

A clear and concise explanation, Wullie. Thanks.

The knowledgeable blokes on here have been brilliant in talking we new yins through the finer points of these matches. Good thread.

Looks like England might finish this off tonight.

How many overs left? 13 or 14? Plus maybe an extra half hour or so?

6 overs after this. England can (and will) claim an extra half hour as there's the chance of a result tonight.

That half hour should be another 8.

So upshot is 14 overs.

England will have the option of a new ball after 80 overs too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

the problem with DRS and doubt about umpiring decisions now is, when people don't have a review left, they automatically assume they've had a duff decision. when he sees it later he'll be OK that the rightr call was made, but the dubious look there when he was given out says it all. people forget that an appeal automatically covers every possible method of dismissal, so even if he was adamant he didnt hit it (and he didnt), he was still out LBW.

I stil don't think there is a massive gap between the two sides on England's current form. It only takes another dodgy first Inns and suddenly for Clarke plus a n other to click and the series will stay alive. When England get their act together though, 5-0 is absolutely possible. That would be nice.

I really enjoyed watchin the test over Saturday and Sunday.,

I used to watch cricket on and off a biut when I was at school during the summers, but not for a number of years, since I was working at weekends when I was a student or never had sky sports.

Looking forward to the next test!!

I love test cricket but a one sided affair like this is pretty boring. Hoping Clarke can get a decent score here and Khawaja and/or Smith can pay well and at least have something to build some confidence on.

Their bowling line up is decent but the batsman are just not giving them a hope. Oh for a Mike Hussey or a Ricky Ponting.

Yesterday sounded like the dullest day, and that is normally the case when a side are simply piling on a score and are under no real pressure. But watching the Aussies buckle and crumble is never boring <_<

ever

Bloody hell that were a thumping. I have been watching cricket for more years than I care to remember and I cannot remember an Australian team as poor as this. I have watched the West Indies go into melt down but I never expected it from the Aussies. There is trouble on and off the field and while Lehmann will do his best to pull things together you cannot see them win a match.

Like HB im not an expert on Aussie domestic cricket, but I would have a stab that Sheffield Shield cricket is suffering at the hands of limited over games and the IPL.

the problem with DRS and doubt about umpiring decisions now is, when people don't have a review left, they automatically assume they've had a duff decision. when he sees it later he'll be OK that the rightr call was made, but the dubious look there when he was given out says it all. people forget that an appeal automatically covers every possible method of dismissal, so even if he was adamant he didnt hit it (and he didnt), he was still out LBW.

I stil don't think there is a massive gap between the two sides on England's current form. It only takes another dodgy first Inns and suddenly for Clarke plus a n other to click and the series will stay alive. When England get their act together though, 5-0 is absolutely possible. That would be nice.

I think there is actually.

It was more pronounced in this test match and, frankly, the rest of the series is going to go in much the same direction. Australia have a few good players, a bit of potential and a whole lot load fucking shite. England have utterly thrashed them in this test. That was an absolute trouncing.

been out all afternoon and no surprise that its all over today, as I said earlier today. I've got about £1500 burning a hole in my pocket. Should I put on Australia to win this series 3-2??

Er no i would try Hearts for the treble mate.

ok, maybe I would have been better to say, England are performing much lower than they have been say 6+ months ago and so the gap between the two sides is not as wide as we might otherwise expect it to be - Enf have not racked up the big 1st Inns scores they regularly have done in the last few years, so they are not in command after the 1st of 4 Inns like they were automatically for a while against everyone except RSA.

At the time, Eng winning in Ind and Aus getting slam dunked was a good barometer, but you just wondered if it was a) Aus being shit, b) new team that would improve, or c) Ind on the rebound to the Eng defeat at home. Evidence would say it was a).

When I was growing up and Aus were doing this to Eng, I waited on the day the tables turned, now it has it's not so much fun as I thought, but still rather be in this position than theirs. Never heard Glenn McGrath so humble as he has been on TMS in this match.