The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Yeah, that looked nasty.

Gutted for all those fans though, they live and breath cricket.

Both McCullum and Mills have no serious damage, just bruises and grazes. I thought Mills might have had a broken cheekbone, certainly he had a stoater of a black eye. The players never heard each other shouting for it due to the crowd noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go out with Windies at 14-2 after 5.5 overs just as Gayle was dismissed.

They've been my team ever since the summer of '76 delighted to see they turned it around - Championeeeeeeeees! :king

Oh & Tony Greig it may be 36 years but GIRFUY!

Edited by btb

• 1 month later...

India 303/4 after 86 overs with Swann taking all 4 wickets and bowling 30+ overs on the first day - my guess is he'll have pretty sore fingers by the end of this series. Pretty average stuff from Englands seamers a combined 173/0 from 40 overs and Cook unwilling to risk taking the new ball. Oooops it seems they're going to risk it for the last 4 overs now India appear to have pretty much settled for going in 4-down.

I await the ruturn of the prodigal..............

India 303/4 after 86 overs with Swann taking all 4 wickets and bowling 30+ overs on the first day - my guess is he'll have pretty sore fingers by the end of this series. Pretty average stuff from Englands seamers a combined 173/0 from 40 overs and Cook unwilling to risk taking the new ball. Oooops it seems they're going to risk it for the last 4 overs now India appear to have pretty much settled for going in 4-down.

I await the ruturn of the prodigal..............

Cook's had a pretty good game. Fairly obvious that Panesar should be in the team. India's day, but England have come back into it. An excellent day's play.

Cook's had a pretty good game. Fairly obvious that Panesar should be in the team. India's day, but England have come back into it. An excellent day's play.

Given his options he did reasonably well, I was just saying not taking the new ball straight away shows a lack of trust in the seamers who went at 4.3 runs per over earlier in the day - arguably he made the correct decision but you can't deny it was safety first. It's all very well saying Panaser should be the second spinner but unless England can get close to 400 when it's their turn to bat I can't see him getting into the Test team.

As it turned India scored 20 runs off the final four overs almost as many as they'd scored in the 10 prior to this - unless England's seamers run through India's lower & middle orders pretty quickly I see Swann having another long bowl tomorrow.

Given his options he did reasonably well, I was just saying not taking the new ball straight away shows a lack of trust in the seamers who went at 4.3 runs per over earlier in the day - arguably he made the correct decision but you can't deny it was safety first. It's all very well saying Panaser should be the second spinner but unless England can get close to 400 when it's their turn to bat I can't see him getting into the Test team.

As it turned India scored 20 runs off the final four overs almost as many as they'd scored in the 10 prior to this - unless England's seamers run through India's lower & middle orders pretty quickly I see Swann having another long bowl tomorrow.

I hope so, he bowled beautifully today. He had little support from the other end though... Panesar would have at least caused more difficulties than old fatty Patel (even though he's lost a tonne of weight, he's in disgraceful shape for professional, international cricket). Indian pitches very rarely offer anything to the quicks. But as Hussein was saying, clearly England are uncomfortable with the two fast, two spin bowling set up.

So, India declare at 521-8. England's day, on balance, I like Cook's imaginative captaincy. Already showing he's more daring than Strauss, who was often conservative. Now to see how England bat. This will either be a timid draw or a thrashing.

So, India declare at 521-8. England's day, on balance, I like Cook's imaginative captaincy. Already showing he's more daring than Strauss, who was often conservative. Now to see how England bat. This will either be a timid draw or a thrashing.

Erm I thought rather differently, India got the 500+ they wanted and time to give England an uncomfortable hour before the end of play. Still with Anderson out as nightwatchman it means England bat right down to No. 11 and they might need to - could Swann go 5 better than Tino Best at Edgbaston in the summer.

Eh? I thought once again that for all England's posturing about how they can handle spin they failed to prove that was actually the case once they started batting. Putting in a night watchman was shambolic at best and Trott looked like he was shitting himself from the off. It was no surprise after several little prods at the ball that he got caught. Pietersen wil at least try and hit the ball away and if he can start scoring even a few ones and twos and finding gaps then he should force India to move a couple of close fielders out a bit and ease some of the pressure.