The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Shame about Boucher, total freak accident.

It's also a sign of the times that England absolutely scudding Australia 4-0 in a ODI series is almost not worthy of comment. Looking forward to the SA test series though.

Yip should be good always look forward to this . Bopara in for Bairstow. Can he take his chance in the test arena?

This should be an epic series, but what a travesty there will only be three test matches. There is very little between the sides, but I'd give England the slight advantage being at home and the fact the Saffers may be slightly undercooked.

This should be an epic series, but what a travesty there will only be three test matches. There is very little between the sides, but I'd give England the slight advantage being at home and the fact the Saffers may be slightly undercooked.

Ys it should have been a four tester. The one day series against the aussies was a complete and utter waste of everyones time. And yes it's always good to beat the aussies, but that was one thoroughly shite australian team, and i for one would rather have had another test match

Yip should be good always look forward to this . Bopara in for Bairstow. Can he take his chance in the test arena?

I had no idea it was so short. I'm genuinely saddened by that. Bopara will do his usual, average about 28 and get a wicket or two. I'm not remotely convinced about him or Bristow. I'd have James Taylor in there ahead of them. Either James Taylor.

England doing well so far - 130-1. Track looking flat but you'd fancy Anderson and Swann to get more out of it than Morkel and Tahir - the latter of whom is rubbish.

Excellent day for England against a subdued South African attack. It's a slow track for the Oval, but is remarkably dry. If England can post 450+ tomorrow, Graham Swann could have a huge role to play in the fourth innings.

Excellent day for England against a subdued South African attack. It's a slow track for the Oval, but is remarkably dry. If England can post 450+ tomorrow, Graham Swann could have a huge role to play in the fourth innings.

South Africa fighting back, England now 383-9. The makings of a fabulous test and series.

South Africa fighting back, England now 383-9. The makings of a fabulous test and series.

It does indeed. South Africa came roaring back and they'll be very pleased with day 2. Tomorrow is crucial and will decide the destiny of this test match. It has the makings of a classic and I think we'll see a result. There's already a bit of variable bounce and it will take more spin as the game wears on.

Steyn is obviously carrying an injury thats taken a few mph off his delivery, he still has the accuracy though and him and Merkel are some pair of opening strike bowlers.

England have the slight edge with their batting in my opinion, and if the pitch cuts up like it has then Swann should take a few wickets tomorrow.

I hope Bopara comes good in the 2nd innings.

If South Africa can bat all day tomorrow they should win the test.

How unusually awful was Englands bowling attack ? Im a big admirer of Anderson and Swann, they can turn/win a match single handed but they were dreadful today.

Even the big wicket of Greame Smith was more down to luck than a good peice of bowling.

Bresnan was a bit exposed IMO as well, a decent county or ODI bowler but not quite up to this standard. Watch him bowl SoodEfreaka out in ten overs now after me saying that :D

Edited by magee84

What a day :(

Watched the morning session and couldnt understand the bowling - every ball was going wide of the stumps and allowing the batsmen to come across the crease and attempt to whack it. Pitiful and since Best came in at number 11 in the last test match the England attack has now taken 3 wickets for the best part of near on 750 runs.

Ah well roll on Headingly and hopefully a better performance.

Your senses are wrong...

England 240 all out, a proper humping.

South Africa took 20 wickets

England managed 2...... !!!

That is the equivalent of a 10-0 roughly in football.

Is all the praise and hype over the england side over the past two or three years going to their heads a bit i wonder ?

Pietersen in particular i feel is a liability rather than an asset now

South Africa took 20 wickets

England managed 2...... !!!

That is the equivalent of a 10-0 roughly in football.

Is all the praise and hype over the england side over the past two or three years going to their heads a bit i wonder ?

Pietersen in particular i feel is a liability rather than an asset now

South Africa played brilliantly. England didn't. Still think this will be a very close series.

Sussex's Scott Styris has just taken 38 off an over from Fuller of Gloucester in the T20. No bad.

Watching that myself. This game, apart from Styris's unbelievable knock, is showing how good a wicket keeper Matt Prior is.