The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Kiwis win another thriller vs Sri Lanka, chasing down 285 with 2 wickets in hand off the very last ball of the match, Williamson with an unbeaten century. 

Highlights should be on bt sport platforms at some point 

Edited by Fuctifano

The European Cricket League on ViaPlay Extra / Freesports has been by far and away the most entertaining cricket I’ve watched in a while. The tournament gained notoriety when videos of Pavel Florin’s bowling action went viral along with some fun commentaries.

But this year it has been great watching Forfarshire (with Scots internationals Michael Leask and Craig Wallace) getting pumped out by some French mob.

Think we’re starting to reach the end of the tournament but worth tuning in if flicking through the sports channels and need something to watch.

4 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The European Cricket League on ViaPlay Extra / Freesports has been by far and away the most entertaining cricket I’ve watched in a while. The tournament gained notoriety when videos of Pavel Florin’s bowling action went viral along with some fun commentaries.

But this year it has been great watching Forfarshire (with Scots internationals Michael Leask and Craig Wallace) getting pumped out by some French mob.

Think we’re starting to reach the end of the tournament but worth tuning in if flicking through the sports channels and need something to watch.

Yeah the finals weekend is this weekend. Was disappointed in Forfarshire’s performance, I know a few of their boys fairly well and was hoping they’d go all the way. Their inexperience in both T10 and playing on an astro wicket showed, though. Put the game on a grass deck and it’s totally different.

On a related note, what the ECN achieve with their broadcasting puts the ICC TV setup, and most associate nations, to shame. It’s really high quality broadcasting, fair play to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cricket Scotland in the mud once again after the Chair, Anjan Luthra, resigned this morning and issued the following statement:

The whole thing is a mess, the cricket community in the country is on the brink of a civil war, and I fear for what the future holds for our game.

This podcast is a good listen, and sums up pretty well what I believe to be the most commonly held view on the issues (it’s certainly pretty much how I see it)

Worrying times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gloucestershire’s Tom Price had a decent day in the county championship at Worcestershire today. He arrived at the crease with his side 45-7, smashed 109 from 98 balls to drag his side to 231, then took a hat-trick in the evening session as they reduced Worcestershire to 118-7 by the close. 

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Bairstow down to play for Yorkshire's second XI this week with a view to playing for the first XI the week after. Hopes to be ready for England duty by June 1st having been out since September. 

Who does he replace? Foakes?  Unless they fancy him opening…

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t want it to be the case, because I believe you should pick your best gloveman, but I think Bairstow will come in for Foakes. I wouldn’t rule out him opening, though. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Tbf nobody has said he will be straight back in the team, the squad that plates through the winter deserve to start the summer too imo.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Tbf nobody has said he will be straight back in the team, the squad that plates through the winter deserve to start the summer too imo.

I thought McCallum did say that.  Might be wrong, or being too literal though.  

Do England have a bowling dilemma for the ashes? I'm assuming Wood won't be fit for all five tests (has he ever been?!) but do they go in without genuine pace in his absence? Can you have three main seamers of Robinson, Broad and Anderson? Will Stokes be able to bowl? Do they shoe horn Archer back in? Do they go without a frontline spinner and use Root for spin? Does Wood even get in people's team when fit? 

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Do England have a bowling dilemma for the ashes? I'm assuming Wood won't be fit for all five tests (has he ever been?!) but do they go in without genuine pace in his absence? Can you have three main seamers of Robinson, Broad and Anderson? Will Stokes be able to bowl? Do they shoe horn Archer back in? Do they go without a frontline spinner and use Root for spin? Does Wood even get in people's team when fit? 

Not sure there is too much of a dilemma.   Robinson, Broad, Anderson with Wood coming in as and when, and whichever non spinning spinner they choose.  My only real question is where/if Bairstow fits in.  From the look of him, he’s a fair bit away from match fitness.  

5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The absence of Chris Woakes in much of the conversation saddens me. I’d have him in the side ahead of Broad in home conditions. 

Agreed, but Broad will pull out a 4-17 spell  that’ll make him undroppable.  Woakes doesn’t have that ceiling.  It’s also testament to how well Tommy Robinson has played.  

On 04/05/2023 at 18:23, Savage Henry said:

Not sure there is too much of a dilemma.   Robinson, Broad, Anderson with Wood coming in as and when, and whichever non spinning spinner they choose.  My only real question is where/if Bairstow fits in.  From the look of him, he’s a fair bit away from match fitness.  

Genuine pace is an x factor and often what England have lacked. Yes I know Wood is made of chocolate and can be expensive at times but I think, even in home conditions, you need something a bit different. Stokes, if he can bowl, has an uncanny knack of breaking partnerships that are starting to tick along and I just wonder if Broad might find himself rotated in and out of the side?

ETA I don't see them playing 4 seamers often and yes, Bairstow looks a bit away from being able to get in the side. 

Edited by jaggyness