The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England continue to do the unorthodox and enforced the follow on after NZ were 209 all out. It didn't start that well as the Kiwis added 149 before losing their first wicket, but two more fell quickly and the Kiwis still trail by 24 runs at the close, ending the day on 202-3.

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I played for them back in the day.  Used to be a great time- and you got to visit some of the prettiest grounds.  Fochabers was always a great day out, as I recall, and RAF Kinloss always provided post game pizza.   

I played for Kirriemuir years ago (mainly to make up the numbers as they struggled for players). Generally the best bit was Tea where all the clubs in the league put on a cracking wee spread. Just the thing when you were nursing a monumental hangover. The worst aspect was playing in early September, with aforesaid monumental hangover, shivering like a shitting labrador.

I was obviously terrible, but at least once fluked a 6 against a decent spinner and took a wicket without really having a clue what i was doing. It probably helped that I'd bowled two consecutive beamers immediately before. It was a good laugh though and a nice way to spend a Sunday. 

31 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I played for Kirriemuir years ago (mainly to make up the numbers as they struggled for players). Generally the best bit was Tea where all the clubs in the league put on a cracking wee spread. Just the thing when you were nursing a monumental hangover. The worst aspect was playing in early September, with aforesaid monumental hangover, shivering like a shitting labrador.

I was obviously terrible, but at least once fluked a 6 against a decent spinner and took a wicket without really having a clue what i was doing. It probably helped that I'd bowled two consecutive beamers immediately before. It was a good laugh though and a nice way to spend a Sunday. 

Indeed.  I was never particularly good, and therefore the best bit always was tea.   Bat first, scoff your face, and then run around and burn off the calories.   I’m amazed I never made it to the big time.

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Indeed.  I was never particularly good, and therefore the best bit always was tea.   Bat first, scoff your face, and then run around and burn off the calories.   I’m amazed I never made it to the big time.

I’m off the bowl first when there’s a good tea, as a bowler and tail end batter I want to stuff my face without having to think about bowling reasonable soon afterwards. Arbroath is always a bowl first ground, regardless of the wicket. Best teas in the country. 

Teas can be a mixed bag, but were the highlight of most games for me, especially if we bowled first. Once played a team that just threw a multi pack of crisps into our changing room. Used to enjoy Murrayfield when they did the pies. Leith did pie and beans as well. Largo was good, as were most of the fife village clubs. 

As a captain, explaining the concept of bringing "tea for two" to home games was always fun, as people's interpretation of enough food for two people varied. Had a guy bring a jam sandwich and said it counted as it was two slices of bread. 

The concept didn't quite make it to the USA, shitty subway sandwiches every time. 

Edited by rowsdower

17 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

@Benjamin_Nevis

Do Kirrie still play on that 1 in 3 slope?

Once witnessed a full on Starsky and Hutch car chase across the outfield there. Flashing blue lights, the lot.

The Kirrie team was binned years ago (2011ish I think). There just wasn't enough interest. There was talking of there being a Strathmore 3rd XI but I don't think it came to anything. The "wicket" there was absolutely comical, with more than one side turning up and asking "what the f**k is this" 😂

Ben Stokes playing some good, old fashioned test cricket with 16 runs off of 59 balls.

A nightmare of a first hour for England losing 4 wickets, especially the Brook run out, but Root and Stokes looked at have clawed it back into their favour. 107 needed to win.

Nice finish to the test, and it goes to show how one or two deliveries can change the course of a whole test match. At tea I turned it off as it seemed a foregone conclusion. Turned it back in at 8 down and I thought NZ were going to chuck it with their bouncer tactics, but what do I know?

England should feel aggrieved though, that second last ball was a clear wide, and the umpire shat it because it would have brought the scores level. 

A couple of posts on here and three days of a test match and I'm absolutely desperate to start playing again 😃

Edited by rowsdower

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Record breaking stuff in the T20 series between Spain and The Isle of Man

isle of Man we’re all out for just 10 runs after 43 balls

Spain chased that down with 13 from just 2 balls (the first ball was a wide)

That bowler missed a trick there, should have kept bowling wides to make Spain the first team to win without scoring a run.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Record breaking stuff in the T20 series between Spain and The Isle of Man

isle of Man we’re all out for just 10 runs after 43 balls

Spain chased that down with 13 from just 2 balls (the first ball was a wide)

That's more like it. Proper cricket at a proper run rate. :wub:

Poloc CC have been given notice to leave Shawholm by their landlords after over 140 years. Allegedly Queen's Park want to build a training ground on the site. Sad times, hopefully they'll find somewhere, but their statement about "dissolution" seems worrying.

https://poloc.com/club-statement/

Edited by Cyclizine

25 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Poloc CC have been given notice to leave Shawholm by their landlords after over 140 years. Allegedly Queen's Park want to build a training ground on the site. Sad times, hopefully they'll find somewhere, but their statement about "dissolution" seems worrying.

https://poloc.com/club-statement/

I saw this yesterday and had a few conversations about it on Twitter. Going from finding out on Thursday last week to arranging an EGM to dissolve the club yesterday seems very swift, to me. It seems that the club has been on a downward spiral for some time though and this is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. Really sad to see a club with such history disappearing so easily. Horrendous situation for the club to be put in by their landlord. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I saw this yesterday and had a few conversations about it on Twitter. Going from finding out on Thursday last week to arranging an EGM to dissolve the club yesterday seems very swift, to me. It seems that the club has been on a downward spiral for some time though and this is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. Really sad to see a club with such history disappearing so easily. Horrendous situation for the club to be put in by their landlord. 

They must've known about it, I agree to go from being told the lease wasn't being renewed last week to folding the club suggests this has been on the cards for a while. Absolute shame, but I suppose that's the risk of not owning your ground or having a secure lease.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

They must've known about it, I agree to go from being told the lease wasn't being renewed last week to folding the club suggests this has been on the cards for a while. Absolute shame, but I suppose that's the risk of not owning your ground or having a secure lease.

Indeed, and probably a threat for quite a lot of clubs in the country. Up my way, Rossie Priory were very close to losing their ground last year after a new owner took over the Rossie Priory estate. Thankfully they came to an agreement and have their future secure for the long term again now though.