The Cricket Thread

bewlay

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Although the Indian takeaway at the scoreboard end has changed to a fusion cooking I'm not wildly keen on... 

https://currizza.redcatcloud.com.au/weborder/menu

That looks absolutely tremendous, imo.

Decent recovery by these 2. Is the early collapse just next level thinking by McCullum to get Root back in to form but putting him in a situation he’s comfortable in again? 3 down early, it’s generally Root’s time to shine.

Expect him to be out in the next 15 minutes now I’ve typed that out. 

33 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It’s one sided in terms of favouring the bowlers, but it’s not a pitch that favours one team over the other. Pitches like this is what the English bowlers were literally brought up on. If they’d have prepared this pitch against anyone but England there would be outrage, but this pitch suits England just as much as it does NZ. 

I get what you're saying and I agree but the best pitches should always be ones that offer something to bat and ball. Not disputing that the England seamers will be looking forward to having a bowl on it. 

Anyway, is this Root's time to show everyone what a truly world class batsman he is again? 

1 minute ago, jaggyness said:

I get what you're saying and I agree but the best pitches should always be ones that offer something to bat and ball. Not disputing that the England seamers will be looking forward to having a bowl on it. 

Anyway, is this Root's time to show everyone what a truly world class batsman he is again? 

Yeah I agree. I would say, though, that already looks a bit flatter than it did first thing, and noticeably more straw coloured after just a couple of hours in the sun. Definitely reward to be had for the batters once they see off the new ball and get in. 

As much as it was great to see Anderson and Broad break the record for most wickets as a partnership, it would have been nice symmetry if they could have waited until this test as this was where they first played together 15 years ago.

101-3 at lunch with Brook hitting 51 from 52 balls.

21-3 must feel like a lifetime ago for the Kiwis as Root and Brook have turned the game on it's head. Brook's phenomenal start to his test career continues, he's on 184 from 169 balls, with Root also scoring his first ton since last July at a much more leisurely 101 not out from 182 balls.

There was a rain delay but England finish on 315-3 for the day. 

Edited by peasy23

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Harry Brook can’t keep this kind of form up, but he’s made himself undroppable.   

It will be interesting to see what happens once Bairstow is fit. Crawley and Ducket are the only ones who seem easy to drop.

Regular wickets lost this morning but the score still ticked over pretty quickly. Root brought up his 150 and England immediately declare on 435-8 from 87.1 overs. After losing the toss yesterday and being 21-3 they’ll be very happy with that, but this morning could have gone better. 

I’ve never played cricket in my life before, would love to give it a go, so this may seem like a bit of a silly question but does the batter know that he has clipped the ball there? He doesn’t seem remotely worried about being out but maybe that was just acting to stop England reviewing.

8 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’ve never played cricket in my life before, would love to give it a go, so this may seem like a bit of a silly question but does the batter know that he has clipped the ball there? He doesn’t seem remotely worried about being out but maybe that was just acting to stop England reviewing.

Firstly, do give it a go, it’s a fantastic and incredibly sociable sport. I probably take my involvement to the extreme (Secretary of the club I play at, youth coach at another club, and podcast about local cricket as well), but you’ll find some relaxed midweek cricket available in most areas of the country if weekend cricket is too big a commitment  

Most of the time the batter knows, but that one was so faint that he might well not have. 

Anderson has another, Williamson this time. 

16 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

They always know, but I'm a bowler. 

Re-retired a couple of years ago after 25+ years, it's a great game to play, and I miss it a lot. 

Theres plenty of clubs around Scotland (assuming that's where you are) and all levels are covered. Let me know where you're looking and I can recommend some. 

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Firstly, do give it a go, it’s a fantastic and incredibly sociable sport. I probably take my involvement to the extreme (Secretary of the club I play at, youth coach at another club, and podcast about local cricket as well), but you’ll find some relaxed midweek cricket available in most areas of the country if weekend cricket is too big a commitment  

Most of the time the batter knows, but that one was so faint that he might well not have. 

Anderson has another, Williamson this time. 

8 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

They always know, but I'm a bowler. 

Re-retired a couple of years ago after 25+ years, it's a great game to play, and I miss it a lot. 

Theres plenty of clubs around Scotland (assuming that's where you are) and all levels are covered. Let me know where you're looking and I can recommend some. 

I did message a team, in Inverness, a few months before COVID about getting involved and they were more than happy to get new people in but obviously that went up the shitter.

I don’t think it is anywhere near as available as down south but could be wrong. Main issue is having two young kids and the mrs works a lot of weekends so availability is a major problem. I’m sure I could work something out though. 

7 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I did message a team, in Inverness, a few months before COVID about getting involved and they were more than happy to get new people in but obviously that went up the shitter.

I don’t think it is anywhere near as available as down south but could be wrong. Main issue is having two young kids and the mrs works a lot of weekends so availability is a major problem. I’m sure I could work something out though. 

You are certainly in the smallest of the cricket regions, unfortunately. I don’t know a huge amount about the NoSCA region, but if you’re in Inverness itself I’d think Northern Counties are probably your best bet, they look to have a couple of sides. Clubs are always looking for new players of any standard, and most are pretty welcoming. 

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

You are certainly in the smallest of the cricket regions, unfortunately. I don’t know a huge amount about the NoSCA region, but if you’re in Inverness itself I’d think Northern Counties are probably your best bet, they look to have a couple of sides. Clubs are always looking for new players of any standard, and most are pretty welcoming. 

Had a look and it was Northern Counties that I got in touch with. I’ll try them again and see what the script is.

I love Jimmy Anderson. I don't really like England, but I'll be sad when he retires.

I'm thinking about un-retiring this summer, if I can cut about 20lbs I might. Or maybe I'll just be a spinner. Weirdly one thing I miss is being fully involved in the club. When I was back home I did about everything, including the website and the ground, here I just turn up and play, which isn't the same. They don't allow sledging here either, which is lame. 

5 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I love Jimmy Anderson. I don't really like England, but I'll be sad when he retires.

I'm thinking about un-retiring this summer, if I can cut about 20lbs I might. Or maybe I'll just be a spinner. Weirdly one thing I miss is being fully involved in the club. When I was back home I did about everything, including the website and the ground, here I just turn up and play, which isn't the same. They don't allow sledging here either, which is lame. 

Being fully involved is a joy, imo. I’m taking over doing our ground this summer as well, which is a steep learning curve. 

8 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Had a look and it was Northern Counties that I got in touch with. I’ll try them again and see what the script is.

I played for them back in the day.  Used to be a great time- and you got to visit some of the prettiest grounds.  Fochabers was always a great day out, as I recall, and RAF Kinloss always provided post game pizza.