The Cricket Thread

bewlay

14 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think it’s great awareness from the bowler. The batter needs to be paying more attention. The quicker non-striker run outs are accepted the better (also want to see the Mankad term disappear). 

For this particular wicket, the batter's lack of awareness is laughable 

I see this any time Mankad comes up. Why not? If the non striker is daft enough to meander halfway up the pitch I have no issue with it. Is it any worse than a bowler deflecting a played shot onto the non striker's stumps when they're out of the crease? 

Normally got no sympathy for anyone dismissed by a Mankad. They are trying to gain an advantage by getting a yard of a start so tough shit if the bowler has spotted that and whips the bails off. Spirit of the game doesn't seem to matter with things like the batsman walking when they know fine well they are out.

Bit different today though, the batsman was still in her ground when the bowler reached the crease, but the bowler then hung on to the ball and once the batsman moved then she whipped the bails off.
50be57b8e4f7ac5ace2f38cc10d83692.jpg

As much as it's lol because England , @peasy23has it spot on, from the photo the non striker wasn't taking the piss and the bowler was clearly looking to 'dummy' the non striker which was a bit shite

As a former spinner I did give a couple of warnings for it if the non striker was halfway up the pitch, but never did it, mainly as I feared getting the shit kicked out of me. 

My take on 'Mankad' is, and always has been, that if a non-striker is egregiously taking the piss, i.e. half way down the wicket before you are even in your delivery stride, then  it's polite to fake whipping the bails off once and sternly warn them, but if it happens again then tough.

It's not even difficult to get it right and back up properly as a non-striker, you watch the bowler into their stride, and when the arm starts to come over the top you set off at a brisk walk. If the bowler suddenly stops dead and threatens to run you out when you are backing up in a perfectly normal and reasonable manner, then they're being a bit of an unsporting dick and it's not really in the spirit of cricket.

I've seen an umpire refuse to give a non-striker out in this exact scenario, explaining that the bowler was being unsporting and asking the captain if he wished to withdraw the appeal, which the captain duly did. Obviously it caused a stooshie, and by the letter of the law a run out is a run out, but I was in full agreement with the umpire despite being on the fielding side at the time.

I'm old-fashioned, and probably a bit naive, in that I do think there is an 'ethos' that Cricket should be played to. I do not believe in cheating as a means to an end, but when I've been on the receiving end of it I have responded in kind. I've always been a walker, but not when the opposition has already batted and proven that they don't play the game in the same spirit. I wouldn't mankad an opponent without warning them for taking liberties, and I wouldn't expect it to be done to me in return, but then I wouldn't be 5 yards down the wicket in any case :lol:

Edited by Boo Khaki

Dean is blatantly taking liberties right from the get-go, and it's made even more obvious by the fact that Jones and then Davies are doing everything 'properly'. I have no issue at all with the bowler taking the bails off under the circumstances, though personally the first time I noticed Dean doing that I'd give her a courtesy warning. As I said, if she continues to do it after being warned, tough shit.

Edited by Boo Khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Scotland played their first warm up game before the T20 World Cup this morning, defeating The Netherlands in Melbourne.

Scotland XI (basically the A side) are in T10 action again this week, in the Championship week of the European Cricket Championship in Spain. They tasted defeat against the Dutch XI this morning, but convincingly defeated the England XI (reigning champions) this afternoon. Italy and Spain are the other sides involved, with everyone playing each other twice between now and Thursday, then a finals day on Friday. The games are being shown on freesports. 

32 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

T10???

Wait... are 60 ball slogs an actual thing at international level now?

Not really. It’s run by the European Cricket Network and is very much about growing the game on the continent. 21 nations participated across the 5 weeks, with varying standards of teams on display. It’s enjoyable background noise to pass the working day, if nothing else.

Our T20 club champions (Forfarshire this year) qualify for the club tournament held at the same venue in March. 

The T20 World Cup starts with a shock win as Namibia thrash Sri Lanka. The Namibians batted first and scored a decent 163-7, but they skittled the Sri Lankans for 108 with an over to spare.

UAE v Netherlands on just now, Scotland kick off against the Windies in Hobart at 5am tomorrow.

Just watched the end of the Australia v India T20 warm up game. India made 7/186. With 4 balls Australia requied 7 runs with 4 wickets to spare the Mohammed Shami took 3 wickets and there was a run out, the only over Shami bowled. Australia all out for 180.

West Indies 5/70 after 10.2 

Edited by Eednud