The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Watched the Flintoff vehicle on iPlayer where he coaches up a team of underprivileged kids from Preston who largely don't know what cricket is, it's a bit all over the place and ironically probably isn't going to convert anyone who doesn't already like cricket. 

The talking head shots of Flintoff are wild, he goes from having a short haircut and beard to wavy hair and clean shaven then back again, and the wee uber-ned goes from having a cast on his hand to no cast to a cast again (when they explain how it happened) within the space of ten minutes. 

Also I'm sure every application for funding to a local council is treated the same as one made by an ex England cricket captain for a BBC TV show... 

On 25/07/2022 at 16:00, die hard doonhamer said:

A complete failure of leadership within both Cricket Scotland, and the Western District Cricket Union, then. CS leadership has been inept in everything for a while now, so that is no great surprise.

It’s a dark day in the history of Scottish cricket, without doubt. Hopefully the game can rebuild quickly from here. At grassroots level, I’ve only ever found the game to be open and welcoming in my limited experience of clubs in Perthshire. It should be that way for everyone. 

It’s a dark day in the history of Scottish culture, not just Cricket Scotland.   This happens in every sport.  It should also be a watershed and result in genuinely progressive change.  It has to. 

Edited by Savage Henry

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They have live text commentary, although I don't think it's on the front page anywhere obvious. Seems we are doing OK.

They finally got the scorecard up and running about 5 mins ago.

I think we differ on our idea of 'ok'. Looks like the chase will be about 11 per. Really needed a steady stream of wickets to keep the score respectable and that hasn't happened.

Edit - and just as I say that the page is back to refusing to update and stuck on the score from about 3 overs ago. Shambles.

Edited by Boo Khaki

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

They finally got the scorecard up and running about 5 mins ago.

I think we differ on our idea of 'ok'. Looks like the chase will be about 11 per. Really needed a steady stream of wickets to keep the score respectable and that hasn't happened.

Edit - and just as I say that the page is back to refusing to update and stuck on the score from about 3 overs ago. Shambles.

Just saw a wee bit in passing ad my son is running riot in Asda but noticed we'd been restricting them to spells without boundaries and had just claimed a big wicket when I looked. Didn't expect us to win anyway so just not getting hit for 300 odd then being all 150 short is a result! First live match I went to was the '99 World Cup match v the Kiwis where we were battered and lost all hope as soon as Gavin Hamilton got out. I think Asim Butt hitting a six was about the only Scottish highlight that day.

Our fast bowling unit is absolutely horrible and has been for years. No Davey or Wheal as they're on county duty weakens it even more. 5 no balls in that innings which probably cost us about 25 runs in total and the early wicket of Guptill which might have halted their run scoring earlier.

Our batters have been atrocious this year aswell, could be a big defeat incoming if the top order don't get going.

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Just saw a wee bit in passing ad my son is running riot in Asda but noticed we'd been restricting them to spells without boundaries and had just claimed a big wicket when I looked. Didn't expect us to win anyway so just not getting hit for 300 odd then being all 150 short is a result! First live match I went to was the '99 World Cup match v the Kiwis where we were battered and lost all hope as soon as Gavin Hamilton got out. I think Asim Butt hitting a six was about the only Scottish highlight that day.

Yeah, they've definitely come on leaps and bounds if you look at it that way, but my frustration is that they keep qualifying for tournaments and getting hammered, when the likes of Afghanistan (I know, totally different demographic) are capable of getting results. Having NZ score 226 on you is hardly a sign that you are out of your depth, plenty of teams have scored that on India, England, Australia and so on, but it would be nice to see them take the next step and start being genuinely competitive most of the time the play Test playing nations, instead of having the odd competitive performance here and there, and looking like also-rans the rest of the time. Long process though, and they definitely have moved up a gear since the days of Hamilton, Salmond, etc

I was at The Grange today. Absolutely outclassed by what looked like a (largely) second string NZ side. As Craigiemack says, our bowling is absolutely hopeless and has been for years. Definitely no sign of improvement in that area. Makes you yearn for the days of Paul Hoffmann and Craig Wright. At least Hoffmann could consistently bowl at the top of off stump and make the batsmen work for their runs. These days our so called ‘pace’ bowlers either bowl far too short or offer up friendly full tosses for the opposing batsmen to skelp over the boundary. Sole was abysmal, going for 72 in 4 overs is criminal. How Berrington thought it was a good idea to entrust him with the final over when he was going for 18 an over off his first 3 was beyond me. 

Munsey, MacLeod, Greaves and Leask are decent batsmen in this form of the game - they can clear the boundary at least - but we never looked like getting anywhere close to 225 despite a decent start. 

I’d forgotten how annoying some of the twats that frequent the cricket at The Grange can be. One Hooray Henry English merchant banker type was squealing ‘catch it’ every time a Scottish batsman hit a shot. He got a few disapproving looks when Allen ran in from the boundary to catch Munsey as he was bellowing ‘catch it’ for about the twentieth time, then tried to justify it by saying it was ‘a splendid catch’, despite being an absolute dolly. Just before I left, another posh English bloke who ‘didn’t really follow cricket’ was patronising his Scottish colleague, revealing that he was surprised Scotland had made it to the 18 over mark without being bowled out.

Back on Friday and Sunday, hoping for some improvement and closer contests.

Edited by Frankie S

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

I was at The Grange today. Absolutely outclassed by what looked like a (largely) second string NZ side. As Craigiemack says, our bowling is absolutely hopeless and has been for years. Definitely no sign of improvement in that area. Makes you yearn for the days of Paul Hoffmann and Craig Wright. At least Hoffmann could consistently bowl at the top of off stump and make the batsmen work for their runs. These days our so called ‘pace’ bowlers either bowl far too short or offer up friendly full tosses for the opposing batsmen to skelp over the boundary. Sole was abysmal, going for 72 in 4 overs is criminal. How Berrington thought it was a good idea to entrust him with the final over when he was going for 18 an over off his first 3 was beyond me. 

Munsey, MacLeod, Greaves and Leask are decent batsmen in this form of the game - they can clear the boundary at least - but we never looked like getting anywhere close to 225 despite a decent start. 

I’d forgotten how annoying some of the twats that frequent the cricket at The Grange can be. One Hooray Henry English merchant banker type was squealing ‘catch it’ every time a Scottish batsman hit a shot. He got a few disapproving looks when Allen ran in from the boundary to catch Munsey as he was bellowing ‘catch it’ for about the twentieth time, then tried to justify it by saying it was ‘a splendid catch’, despite being an absolute dolly. Just before I left, another posh English bloke who ‘didn’t really follow cricket’ was patronising his Scottish colleague, revealing that he was surprised Scotland had made it to the 18 over mark without being bowled out.

Back on Friday and Sunday, hoping for some improvement and closer contests.

Outwith Wheal and Davey, Sharif is our best quick but he can easily be dispatched, as Zimbabwe showed last year. Evans and Sole are atrocious imo, Adrian Neill I will give a pass to as when I was 13 he skittled me in a Scottish Cup game. Only time playing cricket i was geniunely terrified batting, his normal length deliveries were bouncing over my head😂. Tahir and Watt are good bowlers with good economies. If Greaves finds his line and length hes a solid 5th option.

I can't remember the last time our batting unit functioned fluidly. Possibly the 240 we hit against Ireland about 4 years ago. We look so pre determined in our batting, rather than playing the ball it looks like they're already set on trying to smash it out the park. Oli Hairs, how many more chances will he get?  Waste of a wicket. Not a lot of youth coming through either, although the youth teams are getting to the WCs. Worrying when you look at some of the players Ireland and Afghanistan are bringing through and how far they are ahead of us now. 

Might be a little harsh and in no way do I expect us to beat NZ but its the same errors time and time again no matter who we play.

The fact that there has been no regional cricket this year is an absolute disgrace. The standard in club cricket isn’t consistently good enough to properly allow guys to push for selection ahead of those already in the team. It’s a dereliction of duty by Cricket Scotland that that hasn’t been organised. 

Part of me thinks that they'd still benefit from playing regular cricket at a decent level the way they did when Scotland participated in the Sunday league years ago. You'd think with the sheer number of competitions going on down south something could be agreed, but I can see why Cricket Scotland might not be keen and why the ECB might feel it would add nothing to the competition to have Derbyshire hosting Scotland in front of 200 people.

13 hours ago, craigiemack said:

Outwith Wheal and Davey, Sharif is our best quick but he can easily be dispatched, as Zimbabwe showed last year. Evans and Sole are atrocious imo, Adrian Neill I will give a pass to as when I was 13 he skittled me in a Scottish Cup game. Only time playing cricket i was geniunely terrified batting, his normal length deliveries were bouncing over my head😂. Tahir and Watt are good bowlers with good economies. If Greaves finds his line and length hes a solid 5th option.

I can't remember the last time our batting unit functioned fluidly. Possibly the 240 we hit against Ireland about 4 years ago. We look so pre determined in our batting, rather than playing the ball it looks like they're already set on trying to smash it out the park. Oli Hairs, how many more chances will he get?  Waste of a wicket. Not a lot of youth coming through either, although the youth teams are getting to the WCs. Worrying when you look at some of the players Ireland and Afghanistan are bringing through and how far they are ahead of us now. 

Might be a little harsh and in no way do I expect us to beat NZ but its the same errors time and time again no matter who we play.

Agree on Evans and Sole. Evans bowls consistently short and just gets smashed all over the park. None of our ‘pace’ bowlers have the pace required to trouble international batsmen. I don’t mind Sharif, but (as with with Sole) too many loose balls got unceremoniously dispatched into Portgower Place yesterday (there were some absolutely colossal sixes from NZ). His body language seemed quite negative, as if he was lacking confidence and going through the motions.

I don’t think there’s much self belief in the bowling attack. They don’t expect to take early wickets, rarely bowl anyone out in any form of the game, and have a perennial weakness in wrapping up the tail on the rare occasions when they do make early inroads, usually against weaker opposition. I agree Watt and Greaves are decent economical slows, but we need some wicket-taking threat at the top of an innings. Davey always strikes me as a bit of a trundler, but he’s undeniably effective, and Wheal has rarely set the heather alight for us when he’s been available, but is still a considerable upgrade on most of our quicks, which frankly wouldn’t be difficult.

I think the batting unit has potential though. Munsey is as naturally gifted as anyone we’ve had since Ryan Watson, and I like Berrington, MacLeod, Leask, Greaves et al. Even Sharif can bat a bit lower down the order. As you say though, it rarely fires collectively, and we always seem to underachieve on the world stage (getting beaten by Namibia at the T20 World Cup last year, then dispatching them comfortably in the recent CWC Div 2 matches is par for the course for Scotland sadly).

We’re a mile behind the Afghans and the Irish (who always rise to the occasion on the big stage, and even when in a transitional phase like now always seem to find a new big performer from somewhere  - Tector being the latest). I still think Ireland are fairly rank at T20 though, and that’s one form of the game where we might actually have the edge.

Edited by Frankie S