The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Scotland lost my 5 wickets to Nepal yesterday. Gavin Main the only one that could really walk away from that game with any credit.

Namibia again today, and I feel like Scotland have got the balance of their side slightly wrong again. They’ve brought Chris Greaves back in as the extra bat (which I agree with) at the expense of the third seamer (which I don’t agree with). Given that Berrington and Coetzer have bowled 9 overs between them, that very much points to being a frontline seamer short. Personally, I would have left out Hamza Tahir, given that Leask and Greaves are much closer to legit frontline bowlers than the seam alternatives. However, Namibia currently 126-4 from 35, Scotland right in it. 

If Scotland can get over their seeming inability to win a single match at a world tournament, then I see no reason at all why they can't get out of that group. They've routinely got the better of both Ireland and Netherlands over the past while, and though the Windies have improved and are probably at their best in the T20 format, Scotland haven't embarrassed themselves when they've played either.

I think it's a mental hurdle. On talent and recent results you'd have to say Scotland should be 2nd in that group at worst.

They did win all 3 games at this stage last year tbf but it was a much easier group with PNG and Oman involved.

There isn’t any reason why Scotland can’t beat Netherlands and Ireland but I just don’t see it happening.

Edited by PB1994

The likelihood is that it’ll be Zimbabwe, who are comfortably a better side than the Netherlands.

We should have won the series against Zimbabwe at The Grange at the end of last summer, and Ireland are nothing to be feared. The side will also take a lot of confidence from getting winning the group at the same stage last year with Bangladesh, Oman and PNG in the group.

Whichever side joins us in the group, I wouldn’t be surprised with any final order. It’ll be a close group.