The Cricket Thread

bewlay

CS website says tickets may be available on the day, but offers nothing further than that. 

On the test, 119 runs required with 7 wickets in hand, I make England firm favourites from here. 
I can't see them not getting there, even if Bairstow or Root go quickly tomorrow then you would expect Stokes and Billings to be able to get them over the line.

11 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Watching England transform from a team that you felt could implode chasing 220 into a team that looks at 380 and smirks has been out of this world. 

Its just increased in resilience,  more than enough talent, there's no new upstart really coming in and blowing everything apart. The players are just trusting themselves more.

The root bairstow stand after those quick wickets just wouldn't of happened,  109/3 would have been 160/6 and all out for 200.  

43 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

CS website says tickets may be available on the day, but offers nothing further than that. 

The one place I didn’t look. Thanks.

I can’t imagine they will be close to selling out so hopefully they will be available.

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Bairstow finally stays on strike long enough to get his ton, his 4th in his last 5 innings.

21 more runs needed.

Did he not finish 70 odd not out in the one innings he didn’t get a ton as well?

Ridiculous form and they made that chase look stupidly easy.

Whichever way you try and slice the test match stats Root > Kohli.
A few years back the media were pushing the narrative that root was up there with kohli and Smith in terms of best in the world.

I'm certain folk on here were very critical of that take but in the last two years root has taken his game to a whole new level.

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Ridiculous cricket. It’s only 4 games, but they are genuinely reinventing the game. They could have chased 550 there today. 

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen how they play against a top attack on a dodgy wicket. I'm not sure this isn't just an overdose of the 'blat it out of the ground in all and any conditions' moron-fest the Test team has been over the past 5 or so years, only it's come off for them because Bairstow is in the form of his life. 

If they can do this sort of thing regularly on decent tracks and recognise when to rein it in and grind out runs on pudding wickets instead of going out all guns blazing, playing stupid shot after stupid shot, and getting rolled for 120, then I'll take my hat off to them. The problem they've had recently isn't that they haven't been able to chase down scores of 300+ in the 4th inning, it's far too much of the ridiculous brain-dead cricket in run-of-the-mill situations caused by playing far too much white ball and not nearly enough red ball in testing conditions, resulting in far too many sub-par scores and batting collapses. IF they've fixed that and they can still play like this when the going is good, then that's great.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen how they play against a top attack on a dodgy wicket. I'm not sure this isn't just an overdose of the 'blat it out of the ground in all and any conditions' moron-fest the Test team has been over the past 5 or so years, only it's come off for them because Bairstow is in the form of his life. 

If they can do this sort of thing regularly on decent tracks and recognise when to rein it in and grind out runs on pudding wickets instead of going out all guns blazing, playing stupid shot after stupid shot, and getting rolled for 120, then I'll take my hat off to them. The problem they've had recently isn't that they haven't been able to chase down scores of 300+ in the 4th inning, it's far too much of the ridiculous brain-dead cricket in run-of-the-mill situations caused by playing far too much white ball and not nearly enough red ball in testing conditions, resulting in far too many sub-par scores and batting collapses. IF they've fixed that and they can still play like this when the going is good, then that's great.

Right.  It isn’t a case of either/or.  Good teams can change gears.  

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

A few years back the media were pushing the narrative that root was up there with kohli and Smith in terms of best in the world.

I'm certain folk on here were very critical of that take but in the last two years root has taken his game to a whole new level.

I think Joe Root will go down as England’s greatest ever test batsman.