The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Have to agree to disagree.

Woakes best of the three and pushes Broad.

Drink drive Plunkett just doesn't do it at that level and sadly Finn has never recovered his action.

Stone would have been worth a go.

I just feel that the fact Broad will produce 3 overs of magic once every 6 tests or so let's him away with the 5.9 tests worth of pish that goes with it. When the miracle spells were more regular, he was totally worth it, but for me it's time to say thanks for your service, and move on.

Guest Moomintroll

Counting down the days to introduce Jofra Archer, hopefully he won't do a Hick based on the pressure of what he could have done before he qualified. Having said that the glaring issue remains the top order, if the admittedly long middle order fail then the bowlers cannot apply any scoreboard pressure. Personally I believe Broad should have played ahead of Adil, said it before but if Root wont go in first drop then he needs to use his ability and be the second spinner on pitches like that.

Have to wonder why the Windies are batting so long. Can only think they want England's batsmen to be tired after a long day in the field. Would expect a declaration that means England having to bat out at least a dozen overs tonight, or they might just chuck it if Dowrich gets his 100.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Have to wonder why the Windies are batting so long. Can only think they want England's batsmen to be tired after a long day in the field. Would expect a declaration that means England having to bat out at least a dozen overs tonight, or they might just chuck it if Dowrich gets his 100.

I think they'll bat until quite near the end. 10 or 15 overs bowling at a top order that's been fielding for almost 3 days will do nicely. Might break a few records while they are at it.

ETA: I don't think the runs are important now (well, obviously!). It's about grinding England into the ground by keeping them out there.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

19 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I was at Edgbaston when South Africa made about 350 for 1 on the first day. I missed the wicket. 

:lol: I did too that day. Illingworth (possibly) took a wicket as we were walking into the ground.

If you want a bad bowling attack, that was the day. I don't think they picked a spinner to beef up the batting (sounds familiar...). I can't be fucked checking but I think it was McCague, Illingworth, Igglesdon, and someone else. Probably De Freitas.

ETA: Illingworth was a spinner, so not him. Left arm over the wicket, medium fast. Who was that guy?

ETA again: McCague, Ilott, Caddick & Bicknell. FFS. Gooch and Thorpe bowled 22 overs between them in that innings.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Which just magnifies the utter shambles of a performance from England yesterday. 

Exactly. Anyway, all set for the next season? I'm tempted to give it up. Too old for that shite. I probably won't though. We've probably met without even realising it.

I took my only ever wickets and hit my only ever six at Nunholm. That's your place, yes?

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I just feel that the fact Broad will produce 3 overs of magic once every 6 tests or so let's him away with the 5.9 tests worth of pish that goes with it. When the miracle spells were more regular, he was totally worth it, but for me it's time to say thanks for your service, and move on.

My guess is he'll get one more crack at the convicts, struggle quite badly, do a Cook, then get a 7-fer at the Oval.

I imagine post-England Anderson/Broad will have the same problem the Windies did after Ambrose/Walsh.

31 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Exactly. Anyway, all set for the next season? I'm tempted to give it up. Too old for that shite. I probably won't though. We've probably met without even realising it.

I took my only ever wickets and hit my only ever six at Nunholm. That's your place, yes?

Nah, you must be thinking of someone else. I stay up in Perth. Returned to playing after 10 years away from it last year (originally have up after running out of youth age groups, senior chances were limited back then). Been ticking over with some indoor league stuff through the winter, good fun.

25 minutes ago, Scorge said:

My guess is he'll get one more crack at the convicts, struggle quite badly, do a Cook, then get a 7-fer at the Oval.

I imagine post-England Anderson/Broad will have the same problem the Windies did after Ambrose/Walsh.

I agree on all these points. I think Anderson has another couple of years in him, though he might choose to go after the ashes this year. He's always been the more skillful one though, so has a better chance of succeeding when his pace drops.

41 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Nah, you must be thinking of someone else. I stay up in Perth. Returned to playing after 10 years away from it last year (originally have up after running out of youth age groups, senior chances were limited back then). Been ticking over with some indoor league stuff through the winter, good fun.

I agree on all these points. I think Anderson has another couple of years in him, though he might choose to go after the ashes this year. He's always been the more skillful one though, so has a better chance of succeeding when his pace drops.

Dumfries have always been guid c***s. That's all I ever remember about them. I assumed you'd be one of them. :whistle