The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A few Scotland things over the last few days. 

Firstly, the men bounced back from their defeat against Canada to convincingly defeat the hosts, UAE, by 8 wickets. Charlie Tear made in beaten 56 in the chase on his debut.

Cricket Scotland have appointed Doug Watson as the permanent head coach. He was in temporary charge last summer and will take up the role once again in April after the conclusion of his contract with Auckland.

And finally, details of the next World Cup League 2 series have been confirmed. Forfarshire’s Forthill ground in Broughty Ferry will host the series against Namibia and Oman on May, with Oman hanging around for a T20 at the same venue 2 days after the last ODI. Think I’ll try and get along to one or two of these games, it’s just along the road for me and a ground I quite like (mainly because I took a 5-for the only time I’ve played there, albeit at a very very low standard of the game!). 

47 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

A few Scotland things over the last few days. 

Firstly, the men bounced back from their defeat against Canada to convincingly defeat the hosts, UAE, by 8 wickets. Charlie Tear made in beaten 56 in the chase on his debut.

Cricket Scotland have appointed Doug Watson as the permanent head coach. He was in temporary charge last summer and will take up the role once again in April after the conclusion of his contract with Auckland.

And finally, details of the next World Cup League 2 series have been confirmed. Forfarshire’s Forthill ground in Broughty Ferry will host the series against Namibia and Oman on May, with Oman hanging around for a T20 at the same venue 2 days after the last ODI. Think I’ll try and get along to one or two of these games, it’s just along the road for me and a ground I quite like (mainly because I took a 5-for the only time I’ve played there, albeit at a very very low standard of the game!). 

Was happy to see Dundee  being announced as the location for these games. Much better for travelling down rather than going to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Will hopefully get to a few of the ODIs now.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Another horrendous result for Scotland, yet again losing comfortably to Canada.

Middle of both innings absolute destroyed us. Top 4 all got starts but none went on, then the middle order contributed nothing, with only the last wicket pair of Brad Wheal and Brad Currie getting the score up to something that might have been defendable. Started the defence pretty well with the 2 Brads opening the bowling, Canada were 34-4. The next pair put on over 100 though, and then the last pair another 50+ to see Canada done with plenty time and wickets to spare. 

Another disappointing one, but have to give credit to Canada, who look pretty decent. 

Never thought I'd see the day where International cricket was being played at Forthill. Remember spending an entire afternoon chasing the ball around the outfield in what must have been near 30 degree heat. Always seemed to be roasting when I played there. Fond memories of mid-week slogfests as well. 

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Never thought I'd see the day where International cricket was being played at Forthill. Remember spending an entire afternoon chasing the ball around the outfield in what must have been near 30 degree heat. Always seemed to be roasting when I played there. Fond memories of mid-week slogfests as well. 

The West Indies played there in the 80's.

It's a cracking ground to play on, not so much if you are a bowler.

11 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

The West Indies played there in the 80's.

It's a cracking ground to play on, not so much if you are a bowler.

They’ve got 4 hybrid decks now as well, so it’s even more of a batters deck. Don’t think the hybrids can be used in international cricket yet, though. 

Bazball failing miserably yet again.  Looks like it's been thoroughly worked out.

Quite simply the England batsman especially are not good enough.

Crawley will win you one match in 20, rest of time flatters to deceive.  Must have incriminating pictures.

Duckett, limited and simply not good enough.

Pope, the golden boy, bang average in my opinion, gives way too many opportunities and anytime he does make a big score he's dropped two or three times whilst making it.

Root - play your own game and ignore the Bazball shite.  Impacted by having to be a front line spinner.  Genuinely a world class player.

Bairstow, the worst player to ever get 100 caps for England.  An average in the low 30s,  one purple patch where everything came off.  Chucked his toys when didn't get to keep despite being bang average at it.   Ben's wee pal. He definitely knows where the bodies are buried.

Stokes, looks a shadow of himself, body looks like it's finally giving up. Was a tremendous cricketer now living on reputation.

Foakes, A useful cricketer. Excellent keeper.

One bright spot is Brook will be returning but for me most of that top order could go.

Problems in the bowling dept too.

Jimmy needs to have one more test and finally retire.

Wood wrong side of 30 and cannot stay fit which is a shame.

Tommy Robinson bang average English trundler who is nowhere near good enough.

The spinners well er meh.  Might help if they actually got to bowl regularly for the counties.

Ah well it's a bit of a mess, though having witnessed the late 80s and 90s I've remarkably seen worse.

On 09/03/2024 at 07:48, Aubrey Maturin said:

Bazball failing miserably yet again.  Looks like it's been thoroughly worked out.

Quite simply the England batsman especially are not good enough.

Crawley will win you one match in 20, rest of time flatters to deceive.  Must have incriminating pictures.

Duckett, limited and simply not good enough.

Pope, the golden boy, bang average in my opinion, gives way too many opportunities and anytime he does make a big score he's dropped two or three times whilst making it.

Root - play your own game and ignore the Bazball shite.  Impacted by having to be a front line spinner.  Genuinely a world class player.

Bairstow, the worst player to ever get 100 caps for England.  An average in the low 30s,  one purple patch where everything came off.  Chucked his toys when didn't get to keep despite being bang average at it.   Ben's wee pal. He definitely knows where the bodies are buried.

Stokes, looks a shadow of himself, body looks like it's finally giving up. Was a tremendous cricketer now living on reputation.

Foakes, A useful cricketer. Excellent keeper.

One bright spot is Brook will be returning but for me most of that top order could go.

Problems in the bowling dept too.

Jimmy needs to have one more test and finally retire.

Wood wrong side of 30 and cannot stay fit which is a shame.

Tommy Robinson bang average English trundler who is nowhere near good enough.

The spinners well er meh.  Might help if they actually got to bowl regularly for the counties.

Ah well it's a bit of a mess, though having witnessed the late 80s and 90s I've remarkably seen worse.

Their pace options are all broken, partially broken, wrong side of 30 or just bang average. It won't matter how many runs they score if they can't take 20 wickets.

Great comeback from Australia to win Trans-Tasperson-Trophy - if England had done it their current press-fanboys would be calling it the GOAT. NZ Warnocked it

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Got to love the European Cricket League. Scottish T20 champions Forfarshire won their group this year, beating Dutch champions VOC Rotterdam in their group final to progress to champions week, which starts on Monday. All available to watch on YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the 2nd Bangladesh v Australian T20-Women on YouTube and noticed that the Australian players bowlers are listed by their first name. Sophie Molineux is Sophie and last up was Ash and before that Elysse. Didn’t see the Aussie but guess it was no different when they were batting (8/161). Bangladesh 0/30 after 4 overs.

Play abandoned at Lancs vs Surrey, today.  Nathan Lyon in the squad, after his number of appearances has been limited to seven first-class games.  I am already concerned that the rubbish weather on the Mersey Riviera is going to affect my spectating pleasure, with the local comp due to start on 20th April.

I thought I might see if I can pay a first visit to Forthill for an international fixture in May and found they have had to delay selling the tickets.  Hopefully, we get a break from all this rain.  Local comps down here have now moved their opening fixtures from the original planned date.  The Cheshire County Cricket League put out a statement along the lines of they understood the issues for groundsman.  However, they would not make any changes, then had to reverse this decision.  I thought groundsman would be a great job,, low stress job, but......

6 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I thought I might see if I can pay a first visit to Forthill for an international fixture in May and found they have had to delay selling the tickets.  Hopefully, we get a break from all this rain.  Local comps down here have now moved their opening fixtures from the original planned date.  The Cheshire County Cricket League put out a statement along the lines of they understood the issues for groundsman.  However, they would not make any changes, then had to reverse this decision.  I thought groundsman would be a great job,, low stress job, but......

The rain in the east this winter has been mental. Cricket Scotland have pushed the first week of the Eastern Premier League back a week, now starting on 4th May, with the original first week of fixtures pushed back to the last weekend in August. Normally grounds would have their pre season rolling done by now, but heard of plenty that haven’t been able to get any weight on their squares at all so far. I think even early May will be too soon for a lot of clubs.