The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Another poor dismissal for Adam Lyth.

I personally would like to see him dropped for the next test.

Yep. Cook is looking solid, Bell fine... Lyth, all over the shop.

But to be fair, the selectors have dropped guys who weren't quite good enough after giving them a chance.

Hales first class average is less than Adam Lyths, he is an exceptional white ball player, but I felt Lyth deserved to be given a shot ahead of him.

Saying that, if he doesn't justify his continued selection with a very good 2nd innings then I can see Hales getting the nod for the final 2 tests.

He might have a half decent FC average but that's not the be all and end all, Trescothick was a great example of that.

Trescothick averaged more than 41. I'd say that was pretty good.

Lyth didn't take his opportunity, that's fair enough but he did deserve it.

Very surprised to see disciplined batting from England. Was expecting the top three to be scuttled for 20 odd runs then panic setting in. As much as I criticised him earlier in this thread, Ian Bell has been excellent.

Ian Bell batting well is one of the greatest sights in cricket.

England still have a bit of batting to come and conditions are meant to be better tomorrow, they should still be looking for a lead of 150 minimum.

Butler has been pretty disappointing so far, would like to see him going after the bowling a bit more.

For all the talk about the pitch the majority of the wickets today were from poor shots and/or judgement.

You've got wonder if Clarke is on a downward spiral and the endless work on his back is catching up with him. It's quite dramatic how much he seems to falling over at the crease, especially considering how graceful and balanced he normally is.

For all the talk about the pitch the majority of the wickets today were from poor shots and/or judgement.

You've got wonder if Clarke is on a downward spiral and the endless work on his back is catching up with him. It's quite dramatic how much he seems to falling over at the crease, especially considering how graceful and balanced he normally is.

I think this might be Clarke's last series regardless of how it goes for the team or indeed him, he's 34 with the back of a 64 year old, the Ashes and away series in India are the only things the Aussies really care about at test level these days and the next of those series is 2 years away. If they're feeling sentimental, something Australian selectors aren't noted for, they might give him a home farewell vs the Kiwis this coming summer down under, unlikely tho.

With Rogers voluntarily chucking it at the end of this series, Harris retired already, and Watson and Haddin both replaced by younger versions already, could be a fair old changing of the guard for Australia this year.

Been a weird series so far with one team miles on top. Only saw the last half hour live but caught the highlights, some odd shots from the Aussies but none odder than Bell, who had done the hard bit then took an absolute brain fart, it was as if Pietersen had possessed him.