The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I know next to nothing about cricket but have decided now.is the time to take an active interest in it.

Now I vaguely understand the scoring but on the BBC website there was a comment saying that realistically England had to score circa 300 runs, I can't remember off the top of my head, my question is, whit's that aw about? Do runs carry-over from the last test or something?

Have fair enjoyed following it this year, even the last test.

I know next to nothing about cricket but have decided now.is the time to take an active interest in it.

Now I vaguely understand the scoring but on the BBC website there was a comment saying that realistically England had to score circa 300 runs, I can't remember off the top of my head, my question is, whit's that aw about? Do runs carry-over from the last test or something?

There is this thing called the follow on. If the team batting second does not get within a certain amount of runs then the other team can request they bat again.

In 5 day test that is within 200

3-4 day it's 150

2 day it's 100

1 day 2 innings match 75

Edited by Antiochas III

Yep, nothing like scoreboard pressure to get a team to throw wickets away. Dreadful shot by Root. 30-4 and the Aussie bowlers all ready fired up.

Peasy, I'm not watching it (just the updates on the Beeb). Is it good bowling, bad batting or both?

What happened to the 'just go out and do nothing' option?

Ginge, you and I have about the same knowledge of the game, although mine is improving as my son plays in the summer.

I'd guess that England need 300 to 'avoid the follow on' ie being made to bat again before Australia have another shot at it. In short, they have two batting sessions to achieve The Aussies' total.

I also am told that, in cricketing terms, this is a right rid neck.

BTW the regular posters on this thread are brilliant. I've often asked 'obvious' questions and they've been replied to with great courtesy.

Edited by The_Kincardine

England need to get 367 to avoid follow on. The 300 benchmark is more to do with how long it should take them to get there and even with a follow on, they can save the game by batting out most if not the rest of the match

Fact of day - Bell's 5th dismissal this year for 1. Tied record for a year

Edited by Antiochas III