The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England selectors going with an admirable if it ain't broke don't fix it policy by selecting a pretty much unchanged squad, Buttler in for Prior and Kerrigan dropped to leave a 13 man squad which means the top 6 will pretty much be unchanged. I think they might bin Broad for Jordan and possibly bring in Woakes for Stokes (or just drop Stokes to #11 as his bowling hasn't been too dreadful).

Bit disappointing, was hoping for a 1990s style 4 new caps, only one of which will turn out to be any good.

England selectors going with an admirable if it ain't broke don't fix it policy by selecting a pretty much unchanged squad, Buttler in for Prior and Kerrigan dropped to leave a 13 man squad which means the top 6 will pretty much be unchanged. I think they might bin Broad for Jordan and possibly bring in Woakes for Stokes (or just drop Stokes to #11 as his bowling hasn't been too dreadful).

Bit disappointing, was hoping for a 1990s style 4 new caps, only one of which will turn out to be any good.

There isn't much in the top 6 that they would change. Cook isn't going anywhere, and they won't drop Bell. Robson, ballance and root have all done quite well, while Ali hasn't been awful, and is a decent spin option. The frustration is that when they fail, they all fail, and none of them seem to be able to make 2 scores in a match.

Aye, what had happened to Stokes batting, this guy got a century at the WACA, he looks like he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold now.

Did you see the list of his recent scores? :blink:

I have just seen the allocated test grounds for next years fixtures and again a massive kick in the baws for Northern cricket fans.

We have the obligatory three tests in London, one in that easily accessible cricketing mecca that is Cardiff, one at Trent Bridge and one at Edgbaston. Only Headingly has a test at the end of May, while Durham misses out for the second year running.

It looks like Old Trafford despite being a good venue is only going to get tests every other year, and Durham is getting royally shafted.

Why can't they occasionally miss out the Oval, or heavens forbid only give Lords one test per summer (yes I know tourists love to play at Lords), as right now cricketing fans in the North are getting a right royal shafting.

The allocation of tests is decidedly unfair, and with the Rose Bowl, getting added to the list we fans in the North will have considerably fewer options in future years to watch Test cricket.

Furthermore the ECB are charging clubs an absolute fortune to host tests meaning us the fans are getting hammered at the ticket office, not to mention the recent trend in developing five day make as much cash as you can wickets. It's a dear couple of days at the cricket now.

Anyway back to today's play, where the wicket should do something so hopefully Cook will put them in if he wins the toss. Broad should have a big impact on this surface, and hopefully Buttler will have a good debut.

Well he's 32 and he's not playing for the rest of the year. He said himself it's unlikely he will play for England again.

If England had won these 2 tests, you think he would be walking away because of injury?

And Trott came out post ashes departure and said the mental issues was a lie, prompting former captain Michael Vaughan to say he had ' conned ' England:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/26608075

That's not what Trott said. At all. And besides, don't you think there's a whiff of ego in what Trott actually said? Not surpring, really, as depression is horrendously misunderstood at the best of times, let alone in sports.

Steady but slow progress by England. Cook a little fortunate, but you could argue he's due that. Just to put the mockers on, must be a while since he saw our an entire session.

Not wholly convinced by Robson, he looks like a good nicker.

I have just seen the allocated test grounds for next years fixtures and again a massive kick in the baws for Northern cricket fans.

We have the obligatory three tests in London, one in that easily accessible cricketing mecca that is Cardiff, one at Trent Bridge and one at Edgbaston. Only Headingly has a test at the end of May, while Durham misses out for the second year running.

It looks like Old Trafford despite being a good venue is only going to get tests every other year, and Durham is getting royally shafted.

Why can't they occasionally miss out the Oval, or heavens forbid only give Lords one test per summer (yes I know tourists love to play at Lords), as right now cricketing fans in the North are getting a right royal shafting.

The allocation of tests is decidedly unfair, and with the Rose Bowl, getting added to the list we fans in the North will have considerably fewer options in future years to watch Test cricket.

Furthermore the ECB are charging clubs an absolute fortune to host tests meaning us the fans are getting hammered at the ticket office, not to mention the recent trend in developing five day make as much cash as you can wickets. It's a dear couple of days at the cricket now.

Anyway back to today's play, where the wicket should do something so hopefully Cook will put them in if he wins the toss. Broad should have a big impact on this surface, and hopefully Buttler will have a good debut.

I'm sure Durham handed back a odi and I think they struggled to sell tickets this year, not surprising at £50 each, but I agree it's disappointing news about next years ashes. My ticket at Durham last year was £80 and at the Boxing Day test at the mcg only about £35 in a more expensive country, although a lot of that probably down to supply and demand.

It is frustrating being a cricket fan from the north. Me and my girlfriend looked into going down for one of the test matches this summer against India, problem is that three of them are London or further south, the Manchester one we can't make which left Nottingham, but even that is a bit further south than either of us really wanted to travel to watch a 'home' match (no family within commuting distance that we could stay with). Ended up going for the fifth ODI in Leeds, but as neither of us are that fussed about One Day cricket it's not really what we wanted, but the idea was we could go see one of the Ashes matches, but once again they are pretty much all held in the south of the country.

Cook now undroppable. :lol: England will have to endure his captaincy for a few more tests at least.

Alistair Cook is undroppable. He's England's best player by a mile. He's just been in horrendous form. Not the first, won't be the last.

England 270 odd for 2 at stumps... very much their day. Cook out for 95; snicko says it was an excellent decision by the umpire, but I wasn't convinced and haven't seen a hotspot replay of it. Either way, 95 very timely runs. Gary Ballance is the new Jonathan Trott, with perhaps a more rounded game... 104 n.o at the close.

England played really well. I just wish Moores hadn't determined that they should slow their scoring down; the pitch is likely to offer more to the bowler as the game goes on.

One last thought; Southampton's a pretty sterile ground, isn't it?

Starting on a Sunday has confused everyone! Ooo-err.

Anyhoo, a good first day and surely (!) we can't go on to lose this one! - draw at worst?

Decent first inns and then a declaration if we don't have a spazzy batting collapse.

Apropos of nothing, Shane Warne really is an outstanding commentator. Full of insight. Unlike Charles Dagnall or Henry Blowfeld.

Edit: Currently talking about the mindset of a bowler on debut who is getting smacked all over the place.

Edited by Savage Henry

Ian Bell masterclass at the moment. I'm very thankful to the surprise declaration of Eid a day early so I don't have to go to work (but still get paid) and can sit and watch this with a six pack. I'm not sure any sport goes hand in hand with beer as well as cricket.

I honestly think that Scotland would have put up a better fight today.

Never judge a batting performance until both sides have had a chance to bowl. Or something. I'll say this; some of England's batting was outstanding, some of the bowling looked toothless. Whether it's a dead pitch or a dreadful bowling performance, we shall see.