The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Looks like Cook will be staying till the end of the series at least.

Magnificent performance from the Indians after being put in on that surface. Only their second ever victory at HQ.

You really wonder were England go from here. They probably need a Hussain type Captain at the moment at the moment but that sort of leader just doesn't seem to be around.

As has been noted,it's not just the captains fault, the senior players have not been contributing at all.

Set up fantastically for Sunday now. India must be looking forward to some payback after the last couple of series between the teams.

Edited by AberdeenBud

As well as Root and Ali did for a while, everyone knew that as soon as one wicket fell the arse would fall out of the innings.

The Indian team will have known that too, which takes a bit of the pressure off when you need wickets. As soon as England failed to bowl India out in the first innings for 150ish, this was on the cards.

Just watching the highlights and it is dreadful stuff. Root and Anderson will keep their place - Ballance and Ali would be unlucky to be dropped but none of the rest could complain if they got emptied.

The worst thing is Sharma is no better than average at this level.

The worst thing is Sharma is no better than average at this level.

It's an average young Indian team, just like it was an average Sri Lankan team. Yet both have out played England in their own back yard. Just imagine what a proper, experienced test side like South Africa would do to them.

If England are going to have any chance of regaining the ashes next summer they need to completely overhaul the team. Butler has to come in for Prior, Morgan for Cook and they need to magic up a proper spinner from somewhere.

Seems Prior is taking the rest of the summer off from Tests for fitness reasons. I guess Buttler will come in. I expect Cook to still be there as captain.

Sounds like a Trott-esque excuse. Buttler is a decent young player, a lot to ask of him at this stage in a series.

Sounds like a Trott-esque excuse. Buttler is a decent young player, a lot to ask of him at this stage in a series.

What other choice do they have. It's plain Prior isn't fully fit. I'm surprised they picked him, but Buttler's as like-for-like a replacement as you'll find.

Don't think mental illness is "an excuse" either, by the way.

What other choice do they have. It's plain Prior isn't fully fit. I'm surprised they picked him, but Buttler's as like-for-like a replacement as you'll find.

Don't think mental illness is "an excuse" either, by the way.

Trott came out afterwards and admitted that mental illness wasn't the reason he left the series, but it was the reason he gave at the time.

I don't think Prior is quitting because he's injured, I think he is quitting because he's in terrible form.

Trott came out afterwards and admitted that mental illness wasn't the reason he left the series, but it was the reason he gave at the time.

I don't think Prior is quitting because he's injured, I think he is quitting because he's in terrible form.

For one thing, Prior isn't quitting. And he's quite clearly not fit. He's got a calf problem, I believe.

You seem to be falling for the Martin Samuel, Daily Mail line. Trott did not have an "excuse" - he had genuine stress related reasons.

Edited by Savage Henry

For one thing, Prior isn't quitting. And he's quite clearly not fit. He's got a calf problem, I believe.

You seem to be falling for the Martin Samuel, Daily Mail line. Trott did not have an "excuse" - he had genuine stress related reasons.

Trott came out at the start of the season and said it wasn't mental illness that made him leave Australia. I'm sure he said it was burnout.

Well he's 32 and he's not playing for the rest of the year. He said himself it's unlikely he will play for England again.

If England had won these 2 tests, you think he would be walking away because of injury?

And Trott came out post ashes departure and said the mental issues was a lie, prompting former captain Michael Vaughan to say he had ' conned ' England:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/26608075

Edited by Lex