The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Jimmy Anderson in tears at his interview.

Can understand why, he'll be gutted to get out like that as everyone knew the short ball was coming. Hard not to keep your bat out the way when the ball is coming straight for your head.

England have a few weeks before the 5 test match series against India starts.

9 July: 1st Test - Trent Bridge

17 July: 2nd Test - Lord's

27 July: 3rd Test - Southampton

7 August: 4th Test - Old Trafford

15 August: 5th Test - The Oval

Two fantastic tests, both entertaining and surprised that Headingly is so poorly attending. Although, no wonder its been dropped off the list of Ashes venues recently.

Impressed with the blending of Robson, Balance and Ali. I feel CJ has a bit of work to do in his all round game. Jimmy badly needs a rest after carrying England for so many years. Cook is an enigma, he isn't a natural captain, a fantastic batsman but not a captain. The problem is, who can replace him. Personally, I would go for Broad.

England name 13 players for the first test as Ben Stokes has been added to the 12 players from the Sri Lanka squad.

That has to be one if the great comedy self inflicted injuries of all time, with Stokes breaking his wrist punching a locker in the West Indies.

Strauss called Pietersen a c**t on TV this morning :lol:

Did he? :blink:

I'm guessing even KP might have the small of amount of self awareness required to realise he is a bit of a c**t.

I quite like Strauss tbh. Seems alright for a posh lad.

Strauss called Pietersen a c**t on TV this morning :lol:

Brilliant!

Strauss seems like a very safe pair of hands that would never ruffle any feathers - but behind the scenes you get a glimpse into what he really thinks. To be fair surely no one doubted the cuntishness of KP.

I'd like to know the context but I've absolutely no doubt Strauss is spot on. Good for the truth if he got caught off guard (as it were) but it doesn't exactly take Columbo to work out KP is either someone you think is great or is a total dick.

I'd like to know the context but I've absolutely no doubt Strauss is spot on. Good for the truth if he got caught off guard (as it were) but it doesn't exactly take Columbo to work out KP is either someone you think is great or is a total dick.

I think he's both. Quite clearly a dick. But should still be playing for England as the is no one else with the talent he has.

These Tests v India will be a good challenge re: Cook's captaincy; I reckon that it's make or brake for him as skipper. Will also be interesting to see if Jimmy Anderson still has the look of a five-star bowler. Home conditions should suit but we've been a bit shite of late (let's not mention the Ashes, Sri Lanka ...!) so I'll not be surprised if India take something from this series.

I think he's both. Quite clearly a dick. But should still be playing for England as the is no one else with the talent he has.

I don't know. From the limited sporting experience I have, I would say if someone's fantastic but a complete dick, the team is more enjoyable without him.

Edit: what the heck have they done to Trent Bridge? Usually it's the best track on the circuit, but this is flat as a pancake. Why didn't they prepare one to swing? That's what every home country should do. Prepare pitches to suit your own bowlers. Unless England feel their bowling can't take 20 wickets, in which case they've prepared for a draw...

Edited by Savage Henry

I think a lot of the grounds are more interested in 5 days play than 30-40 wickets falling.

Right. See Headingley. But Trent Bridge? It's one of the best cricket grounds, sold out every year, and has historically provided a tremendous results wicket. I don't get that.

It has always been my test match of choice, but with a pitch like this?