The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Why should he get the advantage of being that far down the track before the bowlers delivery stride. By the time he released the ball Buttler would have been nearly half way down.

He wasn't that far off his crease.

Cook predictably whining like a little bitch despite the dismissal being completely within the rules.

Surely if the bowler warns you twice for straying out of your crease, then whips the bails off the third time you do it, you're a fucking moron.

England have only themselves to blame for these "controversies". Buttler was warned twice and continued to backup. Thats his fault. Better to stay in your crease and complain about the warnings after the game (if they were unwarranted) than get yourself legitimately run out.

After Broad in the Ashes (and the England reaction to it) and a few other incidents England can hardly be surprised if "gamesmanship" comes back to haunt them.

Watched Athers and Bumble and they both felt Buttler was "dozy". As Atherton said some people might complain that it's not in the spirit of the game to put someone out like that, but neither is it in the spirit if the game to be wandering a couple of yards down the pitch without bothering to keep your bat grounded before the bowler releases the ball. Stupidity on Buttler's part after being warned, bet he stops doing it now though!

If Buttler was backing up out his crease then he was trying to gain an advantage and if you do that you risk the consequences. If indeed he was given a warning then that decent of the Sri Lankans though they have to do it.

I played cricket for 30-odd years down in Berkshire before moving up to Scotland and the accepted etiquette was that the bowler gave you one warnnig after which you were fair game and could not complain if run out. A mate of mine had the 'stop the bowling action and hover the ball over stumps as a warning' technique off to a T. I can't remember him actually running anybody out that way but the point had been made and batsmen were more cautious after. Nothing to stop a batsman stretching ready to run while leaving his bat just in the crease if he's looking to shorten the run a yard or two.

The bottom line is that batsman was out of his crease and the Laws of the game state that he can be run out. If he is then it's not gamesmanship, it's playing to the Laws. The whining eminating from some of the England camp does them no credit.

Rob

Cook predictably whining like a little bitch despite the dismissal being completely within the rules.

Surely if the bowler warns you twice for straying out of your crease, then whips the bails off the third time you do it, you're a fucking moron.

Exactly, what a terrible captain Cook is. Can't believe he survived the humiliation in Australia.

Buttler had to learn he isn't playing with his mates in good old boy county cricket anymore the hard way. He won't venture out his crease like that again, that's for sure.

Finally saw the run-out incident- can't attach any blame to Sidebottom (who was going for the ball), or Bell / Pietersen for effecting the run out as anyone would in the circumstances, but Collingwood's actions are inexcusable, cowardly in fact.

Nice to see I still talked sense in this very thread 6 years ago :-)

I really dislike the England hierarchy. I find Cook a mono-directional, monotonic moron and I think he lacks the leadership qualities for both the ODI team and the test side, he is so obsessed with technique. I don't think he's a one-day batsman whatsoever and I think England would be much more effective if Hales, Vince or Carberry were anchoring the innings instead of him as they offer a bit of power hitting as well as being reliable at the top of the innings. I still think Bopara has had his day and think he needs replacing in the one day side with one of the three aforementioned coming in with a top order of Hales, Carberry, Bell, Morgan, Vince. I think the bowling attack is sloppy, I don't think Broad will be the answer when he comes back as throughout his international career he is famed for bowling back of a length which is not what England should be doing. There's so many young players that could be doing with a chance at international level especially with the World Cup next year.

Looking forward to the test side being announced although I imagine it'll just be the same names plus Chris Jordan and Jos Buttler instead of Prior.

Of course, England have never upheld a controversial appeal.

Remember that.

The Buttler decision yesterday was controversial, in my opinion. I can see both sides. I think, on balance, it would've been best if the bowler had knocked the stumps off then Matthews had said we won't take the wicket. That would've acted as a very public final warning and if Buttler had been run out subsequently he'd have had no grounds for complaint.

That Collingwood dismissal though was cut and dried. Utterly, disgusting, cuntish behaviour from the then England captain which had nothing to do with the spirit of cricket.

England test squad for the first test.

Alastair Cook (Essex)

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)

James Anderson (Lancashire)

Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)

Ian Bell (Warwickshire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

Chris Jordan (Sussex)

Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire)

Matt Prior (Sussex)

Sam Robson (Middlesex)

Joe Root (Yorkshire)

Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Moeen Ali to play to provide a bit of spin (in addition to Root)?

Robson presumably to get his chance to open. How good is his record?

Pretty terrible

Presume Woakes will be the one to drop out, his bowling is nothing threatening

Cook

Robson

Root

Bell

Ballance

Ali

Prior

Jordan

Broad

Plunkett

Anderson

The pace attack is reasonable but the batting seems iffy. Still, Sri Lanka post Murali and Vaas and with no Malinga aren't going to have a great bowling attack in English conditions so reckon England will win 1-0.