The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Actually, on the subject of pundits/comms, I think the Sky cricket lot are fantastic (as are TMS).

They are very fair on both sides and compliment opposition players regularly.

This series they have been highly complimentary to Clarke, Siddle and Harris.

They will give criticism where required but they don't sound smug about it.

Contrast that to some football pundits/comms especially on the beeb and itv. Lawrenson/Lineker/Chiles etc when England play Argentina or Germany. Sneering and snidey.

It's all down to having a basic knowledge of all the players, something the MOTD lot have an astounding lack of. Lawrenson was a total embarrassment during the recent Confederations Cup. Can't say I dislike any of Sky's cricket team, they all contribute in different ways. Bob Willis is the world's angriest pundit though! :D

Woeful review by Cook, although the non-striker has to take a share of the blame.

Conditions do look incredibly dark at the moment, Australia would bite your hand off for even 40-50 overs here.

edit: as I say that, the sun comes out!

Edited by Fuctifano

Pietersen gone courtesy of another controversial DRS decision. Didn't seem to hit it but the umpire gave him out. Nothing on hotspot but a small noise and 3rd umpire didn't overturn it. Both of England's reviews gone.

Could have been worse - Clarke dropped Root in the slips.

Edited by craigkillie

TMS being very complimentary towards the 3rd umpire upholding that decision.

No reviews left for England though, that might be very significant

I can't think of a more fitting way to decide this Test than yet another DRS fiasco....

*edit - it's not looking likely now.

Edited by BigRubberFist

I know this has probably been asked plenty of times before and I'm expecting to be an obvious answer but why don't they just make test matches 5 full days play? Seems a rubbish way for a sport to decided by the weather.

Anyone on this? I'm don't care that it's been in England favour this test but surely something that should have been looked into by now? If it has then what problems does it cause? Genially interested in why this anomaly exists in cricket, I can't think of another sport that doesn't make up for lost time in the way cricket does.

Anyone on this? I'm don't care that it's been in England favour this test but surely something that should have been looked into by now? If it has then what problems does it cause? Genially interested in why this anomaly exists in cricket, I can't think of another sport that doesn't make up for lost time in the way cricket does.

Mainly tradition, I suppose, but in the modern age scheduling as well (TV, hospitality etc.)- Timeless Tests were tried a few times in the 1920s and 30s but they eventually scrapped them.

Mainly tradition, I suppose, but in the modern age scheduling as well (TV, hospitality etc.)- Timeless Tests were tried a few times in the 1920s and 30s but they eventually scrapped them.

sports like golf, tennis etc are able to get round the modern day issues, I can understand not having timeless tests but having your chances of winning taken away by weather despite at times having a large lead isn't right IMO. I recognise this is an argument those that follow the sport more closely than myself may have had several times but I simply don't understand it. It can be like a football team being 4-0 up after 60 mins and the games abandoned, you don't declare that a draw you replay the match. Similarly in golf if play is stopped and you can't complete 4 rounds by the end of the Sunday you don't state that everyone finishes on the same score, you carry on to the Monday.

Here's the scorecard for the last ever one. It had 10 days play spread over 12 days and they had to call a halt to proceedings as the England team would have missed their boat home if they had played on.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62657.html

Edited by peasy23

sports like golf, tennis etc are able to get round the modern day issues, I can understand not having timeless tests but having your chances of winning taken away by weather despite at times having a large lead isn't right IMO. I recognise this is an argument those that follow the sport more closely than myself may have had several times but I simply don't understand it. It can be like a football team being 4-0 up after 60 mins and the games abandoned, you don't declare that a draw you replay the match. Similarly in golf if play is stopped and you can't complete 4 rounds by the end of the Sunday you don't state that everyone finishes on the same score, you carry on to the Monday.

It's one of the reason's test cricket is so intriguing. Australia knew the weather forecast, and probably spent too long out batting before declaring.

They've got five tests to play this over. So one day falling foul of rain shouldn't take away from England's achievement.