The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I agree, same side for England. Think bresnan did enough to keep his place over Finn. Given how well Root has bowled so far I can't see them bringing in Monty. KP might get a twirl too if he's fit. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I thought Bresnan bowled well actually. H e was blowling to a plan, he was asked to bowl "dry", which he did very well indeed, lots of maidens, bowled to the field, tied up and end and also got four wickets. That's fine, he did his job well. I thought Broad actually boweld well too even though he got no wickets. Bresnans batting with Root was a bonus of course, but he has done enough to stay in the side and he showed he had enough cricket in him to bowl to a team plan. That is valuable to a captain.

I didn't really want him in the side at Finns expense mainly because I thought Bresnan had been fairly ordinary in recent times after making a good start at test cricket, but I'd go with him as long as he is contributing like that.

Australia are now on for losing 7 Test matches in a row and god knows next time they'll win one.

For someone who grew up watching cricket in the 90's that is utterly unbelievable.

You could say the same for the 60's, 70's and much of the 80's.

I said long before the Ashes that the gulf in talent between Australia and England is a chasm and so it has proven. As Reynard says England habitually start slow and even then only a couple of unlikely last ball partnerships and Finn being a liability kept Australia in the game at TB.

Australia are absolutely rancid. I can never tire of seeing them humiliated though. The more the better really.

All you'd say in their defence is that England have won both tosses and had first use of the wicket and a chance to dictate the game.

I wasn't here yesterday - did Lex get very excited when Australia reached 20 for 0 chasing 2,345 for victory?

Edited by H_B

I noticed after the Lions win the party line was how low down on the sporting list Rugby Union is in Australia...

Quite a few parroting the "It's all League and AFL really - in fact, why, we hardly have enough people to for a union team..."

Wonder how the cricket humiliation will play out as the weeks and months go on. They will leave England without winning a test and they'll be lucky to win more than 1 at home.

I noticed after the Lions win the party line was how low down on the sporting list Rugby Union is in Australia...

Quite a few parroting the "It's all League and AFL really - in fact, why, we hardly have enough people to for a union team..."

Wonder how the cricket humiliation will play out as the weeks and months go on. They will leave England without winning a test and they'll be lucky to win more than 1 at home.

Out of interest who, someone on P&B or just Aussie punters in the British media? The cricket is making headlines here but they don't go on about it, probably because they are losing badly. In NSW league is No1, it completely dominates the headlines and bulletins. Don't believe any bs about defeats to the Lions and England not meaning anything. Sounds to me like someone trying to put a brave face on things.

Kate Middleton's waters breaking is currently seen as bigger news than their pish cricket team.

Out of interest who, someone on P&B or just Aussie punters in the British media?

The Aussie media they dragged on the radio to explain the loss. Quite a few of them adopted that line. As with all excuses there is of course more than a grain of truth in it.

Agree with Aggers view here that Ahmed may get called up.

If as suspected the next few pitches are Bunsen Burners then the Aussies will in effect be turning up to a Gun Fight with a set of knives.

Ashes 2013: Australia need quality spinner to test England

If Australia are to have any chance of clawing their way back from 2-0 down in this one-sided Ashes series they must find a wicket-taking spinner.

The pitches for the final three Tests at Old Trafford, Durham and The Oval will be just as dry as the ones at Trent Bridge and Lord's so Australia simply cannot keep on going as they are.

It always seems to be the case that bowlers get blamed for the failings of the batsmen, but they are simply being outgunned by England, with the difference in quality between the spin bowlers particularly striking.

While Graeme Swann's figures for the series are currently 13-287 at a strike rate of 53, young Ashton Agar has managed 2-248 and takes a wicket every 252 balls.

Swann asks a question with every ball and is very difficult to get away for runs, whereas Agar has been inconsistent and unable to exert any control over England's batsmen.

Agar is very young and his time will come, but you simply cannot afford to carry a spinner in a side as poor as this.

Given the 19-year-old's struggles, I feel Australia must now call up Pakistan-born leg-spinner Fawad Ahmedfrom the A tour in Zimbabwe.

When Mickey Arthur was still coach he was asked whether he thought Ahmed would play a part in the Ashes, and he replied in the affirmative, so Ahmed is clearly part of their plans.

He has played one game in Harare, and came away with eight wickets, which suggests he is in decent form.

Steve Smith's three wickets in the first innings at Lord's exposed England's long-standing weakness against wrist spin and, while it is impossible to predict how Ahmed will fare in the Ashes, it is a gamble Australia are going to have to take.

They may even consider playing both Ahmed and off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who has been Australia's most successful Test spinner since Shane Warne.

Something simply has to change because this is getting serious for Australia. The worry for the tourists is not just this Ashes series but also the return one down under. They must try to think of strategies that can knock England off their stride.

When it comes to this winter's series, I would not be surprised if they choose to produce juicy green-tops and try to unsettle England with their pace attack. They simply won't beat them by playing any other way.

I certainly don't feel sorry for Australia - not for a minute. These things happen and I have seen England suffer more than enough over the years and experienced the agonising that goes on when you try to work out how to put it right.

But England have put it right. They have modelled their academy on the Australian system, brought in central contracts to tie down their best players and invested heavily in coaching.

The boot is now firmly on the other foot. Australia are the team in need of an overhaul - and it may be some time before they reap the rewards.

Edited by AberdeenBud

I agree that the Aussies have been shite so far but one thing is almost certain, you can never rule them out.

It's clear that individually they have talent and are struggling to work as a team but if it all clicks then they will have a chance.

Decision making is key in the next test. I'm hoping for an Aus win just make the series more interesting and prolong the entertainment.

I was out in town on the Saturday of the 1st test and both The Hall on Sauchiehall St and the Old Schoolhouse on Woodlands Rd were showing it (without me asking for it!)- neither are right in the centre of town but I'd guess there might be a few places. Although if the football season has started it might be a different story.

The Aussies will probably see who bowls quite well in the county match vs Sussex- I think Bird.and Faulkner will come into the equation as well as Starc.

Pattinson being fucked sort of puts Englands decision not to put them back in to bat in a different light. I reckon they might have been expecting to kill Harris, but Pattinson breaking down is a bonus for them as Harris will fall apart in due course too.

When you see the workload Australias bowlers have had compared to Englands in this test as well, its no wonder. A shame for Pattinson as he eventually bowled a good line for a couple of sessions in Englands second innings and was quick on a wicket offering him f**k all. Fast bowlers need to be handled very carefully indeed. He won't be the first, or the last unfortunately, especially wit the amount of cricket these guys are being made to play.