The Cricket Thread

bewlay

7 days till I head to Leeds :D

I noted this week that Englands last innings defeat at home was a game I also attended 2 days (well a day and a half) in Leeds - hoping its not another omen for a cuffing next week. Same team and a wicket more suited to the home side.

7 days till I head to Leeds :D

I noted this week that Englands last innings defeat at home was a game I also attended 2 days (well a day and a half) in Leeds - hoping its not another omen for a cuffing next week. Same team and a wicket more suited to the home side.

Finn into the bowling lineup might be the plan?

Scotland beat Bangladesh in a T/20 match in Holland. Richie Berrington became only the seventh batsman to make a Twenty20 international century as Scotland beat Bangladesh by 34 runs. It was Scotland's first competitive win over a full member nation.The 25-year-old opener hit 10 fours and five sixes as he reached 100 in 56 balls, with the Scots posting a total of 162 for seven in the Netherlands.Josh Davey and Majid Haq each took three wickets as Bangladesh were all out for 128 after 18 overs.

As many of us have been calling for, for sOme time, Ravi Bopara has been dropped and James Taylor (presumably not the folk singer) has been called up.

Taylor is a real talent and I hope he does well. I want Finn in ahead of Bresnan as his height, pace and bounce should be effective at Headingly

They are saying Bopara has not been dropped, but is unavailable due to personal reasons.

3 sleeps till I goto Leeds

They are saying Bopara has not been dropped, but is unavailable due to personal reasons.

3 sleeps till I goto Leeds

See that. SSN rather dropped a clanger, missing that info and announcing Sam Woakes had been called up instead. Hope there's nothing serious with Bopara.

Indeed I think we all hope the personal reason is not serious but it does get the selectors out of a "not good enough for the test team" hole.

Terrible news for all cricket fans. One of the best wicketkeeper/batsmen of all time. I recall the first time he came over to england on a tour was the series that saw the infamous Atherton/Donald spat at trent Bridge in 98.

Drs enjoy your day at cricket. Hope it is more fun than my trip to Durham last Saturday.

Oi cunto!! Your day at the cricket was saved by the wit, repartee and culture foisted upon you by the Linlithgow Rose contingent. I'm never going to forgive that cvnt Trott for boring the arse off punters. 8 wicket wins against decent Australians is well and good. Playing for your star against possibly the worst Australian team to take the field (outside of the early Packer period) is not on.

As for England, if they get back to doing what they are good at and doing it well (plus win the toss), they can turn over this SA team. Runs should be a bit harder to come by in Leeds.

Got a bit lost in all the Limpic stuff but England have made a royal cock of this it would seem, what with dropping Swann, sticking them in, and then not getting a bat until tea on day 2. Although the only one of the much vaunted bowling attack averaging less than 55 this series is ...er.. KP. The fact even the lesser members of the SA team are getting big tons is pretty damning.

They're going to have to rely on an epic SA choke to win this from here (like The Oval 2003 where they scored 484 1st up and still lost ), but with a bit of a dodgy weather forecast they should be able to bat out enough time to draw it.

Also, the Finn knocking the stumps over- I think it's fair enough he was dead-balled, but he must be putting a hell of a strain on his body to get out the danger zone if he's bowling that close to the stumps he's running into them every 2 minutes.

Just back from 2 days at Leeds - I've got some photos of the rear of Trott I'll post later.

Utter bawbag of a decision on Thursday morning to bowl and to drop Swan, KP came on spun the ball and took a wicket 2nd ball :angry:

South African Peterson scored 180 despite looking scrappy as hell and aside from the first 10 overs or so of yesterday morning the bowling was average at best.

Just back from 2 days at Leeds - I've got some photos of the rear of Trott I'll post later.

Utter bawbag of a decision on Thursday morning to bowl and to drop Swan, KP came on spun the ball and took a wicket 2nd ball :angry:

South African Peterson scored 180 despite looking scrappy as hell and aside from the first 10 overs or so of yesterday morning the bowling was average at best.

Totally agree with that. The decison to drop swann is bewildering, and as for putting them in... a decision pontinglike.

Cook should be fined half his match fee just for making the worst referral ever

.....and James Taylor is a shortarse, he must be about a foot shorter than everyone else in the team.

Good first knock for Taylor considering KP was going tonto at the other end. Certainly deserves another shot in the final test.

Meanwhile the Saffers employing odd bowling tactics to allow KP to knock it about to get to 149.

And some shots from days 1 and 2 -

(and thats Steyn at the end getting some coaching from Donald and then being a top bloke and signing some autographs for the kids, Trott and Bresnan did the same when they were down on the boundary - Philander who is also in there didnt)

post-10864-0-96382900-1344107971_thumb.j

post-10864-0-06152000-1344107981_thumb.j

post-10864-0-81662100-1344107991_thumb.j

post-10864-0-57661200-1344108059_thumb.j

post-10864-0-16038900-1344108073_thumb.j

post-10864-0-60304000-1344108085_thumb.j

post-10864-0-59571800-1344108098_thumb.j

Edited by drs

Totally agree with that. The decison to drop swann is bewildering, and as for putting them in... a decision pontinglike.

Cook should be fined half his match fee just for making the worst referral ever

Spin bowlers have never had much success at Headingley, its a ground traditionaly that doesnt 'turn' for the spinners.

I remember Sharne Warne seething when the aussies dropped Nathan Hauritz there in 2009 and went with an extra seam bowler in stuart clarke.

They promptly bowled england out for about 100 runs :lol:

Add to the fact Swann was brutal in first test its no surprise he waa dropped IMO

So you now know more about cricket than virtually every pundit in the game, aye right :lol:

Spin bowlers have never had much success at Headingley, its a ground traditionaly that doesnt 'turn' for the spinners.

I remember Sharne Warne seething when the aussies dropped Nathan Hauritz there in 2009 and went with an extra seam bowler in stuart clarke.

They promptly bowled england out for about 100 runs :lol:

Add to the fact Swann was brutal in first test its no surprise he waa dropped IMO

Headingly is no longer a seam bowlers wet dream. The wicket has completely changed in recent years.

Swann adds balance to the attack and even when not taking wickets ties up an end, plus a good fielder and decent batsman.

Matt Prior should be batting six