The Cricket Thread

bewlay

the batting has been a shambles . The bowlers must be well pissed off

how long since strauss scored a ton

bell has returned to being the old bell

morgan is clearly not good enough

KP is a shadow of what he once was

tim bresnan with his big hitting down the order was clearly missed

They do need to seriously consider a replacement for Morgan. But that's likely to be Bopara, and he's no better. Perhaps that James Taylor character can make the step up.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/17094222

Ricky Ponting likely to retire from International cricket after being dropped from the 1 day side. I think he may jack in Tests as well. We will see. A great cricketer,loved playing England but suffered some heavy defeats towards the end of his captaincy,always ready to sledge and always a competitor. But always a great watch.

They do need to seriously consider a replacement for Morgan. But that's likely to be Bopara, and he's no better. Perhaps that James Taylor character can make the step up.

Morgan has been dropped from the Sri Lanka series. Bopara recalled.

Morgan has been dropped from the Sri Lanka series. Bopara recalled.

Fair enough dropping morgan. Bringing back Bopara for me is a strange one - Has had several opportunities and other than scoring three tons against a mediocre WI side has generally flattered to deceive

I would have had a look at Taylor before Bopara

• 3 weeks later...

Bopara is a funny one, he's consistent at county level and does put in a decent performance with the bat and ball at 50 and 20/20. His problem seems to be concentration and confidence at test level. Similar to Ramprakash.

I'd like to see him given one last try, otherwise i would give consideration to Taylor or maybe Jonny Bairstow.

Bopara is a funny one, he's consistent at county level and does put in a decent performance with the bat and ball at 50 and 20/20. His problem seems to be concentration and confidence at test level. Similar to Ramprakash.

I'd like to see him given one last try, otherwise i would give consideration to Taylor or maybe Jonny Bairstow.

Ramprakash was a bit more mercurial though. When he was at the top of his game, which he occasionally was for England but not often, he was their best batsman by a mile. Kind of like Pietersen is now. Bopara doesn't seem capable of that kind of greatness. He just seems a bit, well, plodding.

Guest The Phoenix

100x100 for Tendulkar.

Good on him, its been a millstone.

I'm only 94 behind him, the pressure is enormous.

Well done to the wee man, anyway.

Ramprakash was a bit more mercurial though. When he was at the top of his game, which he occasionally was for England but not often, he was their best batsman by a mile. Kind of like Pietersen is now. Bopara doesn't seem capable of that kind of greatness. He just seems a bit, well, plodding.

I wasn't really comparing abilities, Ramprakash is head and shoulders above Bopara. More their struggles with confidence and consistency.

Although Ramprakash was talented, Pietersen has outperformed him though in everything except county cricket. As good as he was, he was a disappointment at Test level when you consider what he was capable of.

Guest The Phoenix

100 x 6 isn't much to shout about............<_<

:lol:

I've probably had at least twice as many innings of 6 or less. :(

I have scored six centuries though, honest.

Scotland are also competing in the T20 World Cup qualifiers at the moment. We've beaten Kenya, Uganda, and Oman, but lost to Namibia. We still have Ireland, Italy and the USA to play and need 2 wins, possibly 3 depending on other results to get through to the knockout stages- 16 teams are competing for 2 places. We play Ireland on Sunday.

And if you think England are taking the piss with overseas born players, you should see some of the mongrel teams in this tournament. Italy had one Italian born player and the USA one American born player in their most recent XIs. We do not too badly with a couple of Saffers and a couple of English-born.

I saw some pictures of the Uganda game and it looked like their team had been dragged off the terracing.

Well, despite losing out to Ireland and the mighty USA, we scraped into the next stage on net run rate.

We now have to beat the Netherlands, then the winner of Ireland vs Canada, then the loser of Namibia vs Afghanistan for the right to be horribly sodomised by good teams live on TV (but the money would come in handy). One defeat and we're out.

Today started well but Sri Lanka have recovered well, could do with a few more wickets this afternoon.

And England have won every test that Tim Bresnan has played in.